ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

High Beam Circuit

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-07, 03:09 PM
bigjoe871
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High Beam Circuit

I need to find the high beam (only) circuit in order to install a deer "whistle" in my father in law's car. After first install attempt, he pulled out of the garage and when the DRL's turned on the "whistle" can not be disabled.

Basic premise is this...."whistle" is hot wired and a third "sensing" wire is hooked to the high beam headlights. Flashing the high bemas twice is the trigger for the "whistle" to turn on/off. Unfortunately, if you run voltage through the sensor wire it makes the whistle stay on.

He will not allow a switch inside his car (can't blame him) and has refused to come to my house since a near miss with a deer three weeks ago. This was the perfect solution for him (even if its effectiveness is in his head).

If anyone knows where to look for the high beam circuit in the engine compartment but before the DRL circuit PLEASE help me out. Thanks.
Old 10-14-07, 04:33 PM
350Dave
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why not ask a service tech at the dealer?
Old 10-14-07, 07:49 PM
jeffofla
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 350Dave
Why not ask a service tech at the dealer?
Specifically, because this is a ES 350 enthusiast forum and not only the poster, but other people might be interested in something affects the same wiring. That's what this forum is all about! Seeing if someone has similar experience and to share like experiences with others.
Old 10-14-07, 10:16 PM
350Dave
Lead Lap

Specifically, because this is a ES 350 enthusiast forum and not only the poster, but other people might be interested in something affects the same wiring.

I don't understand this sentence.

That's what this forum is all about! Seeing if someone has similar experience and to share like experiences with others.

What is wrong with gathering the 'experience' from a professional, and then sharing it with the forum?
Old 10-14-07, 11:19 PM
07LexusGuy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bigjoe871
I need to find the high beam (only) circuit in order to install a deer "whistle" in my father in law's car. After first install attempt, he pulled out of the garage and when the DRL's turned on the "whistle" can not be disabled.
You should drop by the dealership and have them disable the DRL. That way, the high beams only come on when you want them to. That might solve your problem.
Old 10-15-07, 05:48 AM
bigjoe871
Driver School Candidate

Default Not an option

Disabling the DRL's is absolutely not an option...he does not want to disable one "safety feature" for another. (He's 70 years old, I give him what he wants when I can, it's easier then arguing.)

He is so terrified that his dealer will void his warranty over these three wires that he will not come with me to ask about it.

Local dealers understandably look at me funny and tell me they can't help me when I drive in in my beat up taurus and start asking questions. One service tech told me that he would look it up and let me know later in the day. 12 days later and no response (big surprise).

I have received invaluable knowledge so far for his vehicle from this forum and I thought someone here could help.

Thanks!
Old 10-15-07, 07:27 AM
07LexusGuy
Pole Position

hm...

Well, if you need the wiring diagram ASAP and nobody at the dealership is willing to help, may I suggest you log on to www.techinfo.toyota.com, spend $10, get a one day membership, and download the information you need.

Come to think of it, the fuel and time you've spent driving to the dealership and asking questions is probably worth much more than $10 already. Time is money!
Old 10-15-07, 09:16 AM
bigjoe871
Driver School Candidate

Default Asap?

Who said ASAP...

If I don't get a solution before the next time I can work on his car (about three weeks from now) then I can work it out another way.
Old 10-15-07, 09:41 AM
unknown2
Driver

does the DLR have a relay?? if yes, then try to hook the up right before the relay.. In this case, the DLR will still work but not the whistle...

How often does your father use the fog lights??
Old 10-15-07, 09:46 AM
bigjoe871
Driver School Candidate

Default Relay Location

He uses the fog lights pretty much all the time...did I mention that he's 70 and a bit set in his ways?

I ASSUME that the DLR's have a relay of some sort. If they are anything like other Lexus', they have multiple relays controlling an overly complicated DRL setup. If I find the relay, I can hook this up relatively painlessly.

Anyone know where to look for the relay(s) that control the DRL's?
Old 10-15-07, 09:58 AM
unknown2
Driver

My ES350 is not a US spec (no DRL in my car), but i expect to see it under the hood first... There are some fueses there.. Some times you will find relays.. If you find them, they are eaither labeled or look at the owners manual...

Do you have access to the wiring diagrams for the car??
Old 10-15-07, 10:33 AM
07LexusGuy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bigjoe871
Who said ASAP...

If I don't get a solution before the next time I can work on his car (about three weeks from now) then I can work it out another way.
okay, so not ASAP - but I figure you'd probably get a better answer in a shorter amount of time on the techinfo site looking at the wiring diagrams than spending time running to the dealership, asking and waiting for them.

Anways... do what you feel works best for you. Maybe someone else on this site has a wiring dagram sitting around.
Old 10-15-07, 12:12 PM
bigjoe871
Driver School Candidate

Default You're Right

You are right, it would be more sensible to just get the wiring diagram. That techinfo site is great, too bad they don't have one for Ford and Chevy so I could tear them apart.

I can just trace the wiring back to whatever relays I need, I just wanted to have an idea what I am looking for prior to removing everything. Thanks for the help so far.
Old 10-15-07, 03:47 PM
jeffofla
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 350Dave
[I][COLOR=red] What is wrong with gathering the 'experience' from a professional, and then sharing it with the forum?
Nothing. But it's doubtful they ever would share it. Every single question is asked here because someone is looking for an answer. Usually they can get it free and much quicker than a visit to their dealership. And there may be different experiences and ways to do something that people can share. The odds are that if someone asks there service tech, they aren't going to go online and share it. And that's what the forum is all about. As far as they are concerned, they'd be done with it. What then is the purpose of posting it online to share? I'd argue they wouldn't.

If they don't get the answer here, the question will either fade away and they'll be forced to give then seek solution from Lexus directly. There are many times that you can get an answer much better here, however.

In the future, don't ask people to get the information from the service tech if you don't know the answer. Just feel free to not answer the question.
Old 10-15-07, 11:09 PM
350Dave
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jeffofla
Nothing. But it's doubtful they ever would share it. Every single question is asked here because someone is looking for an answer. Usually they can get it free and much quicker than a visit to their dealership. And there may be different experiences and ways to do something that people can share. The odds are that if someone asks there service tech, they aren't going to go online and share it. And that's what the forum is all about. As far as they are concerned, they'd be done with it. What then is the purpose of posting it online to share? I'd argue they wouldn't.

If they don't get the answer here, the question will either fade away and they'll be forced to give then seek solution from Lexus directly. There are many times that you can get an answer much better here, however.

In the future, don't ask people to get the information from the service tech if you don't know the answer. Just feel free to not answer the question.
jeffofla:

I did not ask your permission to post - or need it. At this point I don't care what your opinion is, so back off. With an attitude like yours I do not doubt you would never get assistance from a tech. If the original poster wants to PM me I will put him in touch with someone at my dealers service department that will help him.

Quick Reply: High Beam Circuit