ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Should I buy a ES350 Manufacturer buy back?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-07, 06:17 PM
rocky1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I buy a ES350 Manufacturer buy back?

I'm being offered a Lexus ES350 buyback for $34,000. 4500 miles - loaded w/ Nav. The dealer told me they bought it at the Lexus auction in CA. It had the transmission replaced 2xs. The last transmission replacement is the same one currently being used in production after the problem with flare has been remedied? It comes with the remainder of the Lexus warranty - which will give me about 3 years or 46,000 miles. What do you think?
Old 07-14-07, 06:31 PM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tranny problem aside, a few posts below someone got a brand new ES350 in CA (I assume without NAV) for $32.4k, $34k for non-UL with NAV after a buyback with 4.5k miles is too pricey. This is considered to be a used car with previous mechanical problem. For about $31k it would be a good price. PLUS, Corporate Lexus extends warranty to Platinum 100k when tranny replaced. That is what they did on my previous ES350 after the 1st tranny replacement. I talked directly to Corporate Lexus after receiving the certificate, there is no exceptions. So tell them to knock down the price and give you the remainder of 100k warranty. I would NEVER even consider this buyback re-purchase without extended warranty.

Good luck!!!
Old 07-14-07, 07:07 PM
rocky1
Driver School Candidate

Where is the info found on the purchase for 32.4k in CA?
Old 07-14-07, 07:14 PM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Very detailed post with price negotiation, step-by-step: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=291172
Old 07-14-07, 07:30 PM
rocky1
Driver School Candidate

Thanks twister. After reading it over I still doubt I can buy within $6000 more for a car like equipped. However, I wish it wasn't the case.
Old 07-14-07, 07:59 PM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Do your best on price negotiation. CA probably has 75% of all US Lexus dealerships, and competition drives the price down. But either way, I just feel that $34k is too much, and please keep in mind 100k warranty.
Old 07-14-07, 11:49 PM
350Dave
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree 31K is about right for this car.
Old 07-15-07, 04:05 AM
2thfixr
Lexus Test Driver

Is this a serious question? Why on earth would you even consider purchasing a buyback? People don't just call Lexus and say, "I'm not happy with this car, give me a refund and I will drop it off." Manufacturers don't do buybacks unless there is a great deal of effort put forth by the customer and/or there are some serious issues with the car that couldn't be rectified within a reasonable number of visits and/or amount of time.

By purchasing a new ES350 off the lot, you are already rolling the dice, why buy a buyback where someone has already crapped out!?!?!? In the immortal words of Clint Eastwood, "Do you feel lucky Punk?"
Old 07-15-07, 04:07 AM
2thfixr
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rocky1
The last transmission replacement is the same one currently being used in production after the problem with flare has been remedied?
Flare issue has not been remedied.
Old 07-15-07, 04:35 AM
rocky1
Driver School Candidate

My dealer claims the transmission has been a sore point with the ES350. Judging by the comments I've read, I tend to believe him. This car had transmission fix attempts 2xs that were unsuccessful. Lexus then just exchanged a new car and took the their car back. Another transmission was put into the car, and it's now being sold. The transmission is suppose to be the same type being put into the ESs today. According to the TSIB dated 1/19/07 - all VIN# below 64871 had the potential problem tranny and qualify for a Automatic Transaxle Assembly w/ Torque Converter if they experience shift flare.
So this buyback vehicle has had this done, is about 5-7K less than new, and has 4500 miles on it. So I would buy it out of greed to save some $ unless I can get the same vehicle with the new transmission for less somewhere else, or get a new ES w/ a vin# above 64871.
Old 07-15-07, 05:06 AM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

We already had a number of ES350 owners with VIN# above 64871 having a tranny problem. I don't think Lexus figured out mechanical problem of those trannies, that is why they are offering transmission flash now (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=284028).

I'm not sure what to advice you. It feels like either way by purchasing a brand new or buyback ES350 you are taking a chance. At least you can get a significant knock off the price (which in your case $34k is NOT), and extended warranty (which you should absolutely insist on!!!) to make you feel better.
Old 07-15-07, 09:25 AM
onsknht
Pole Position

I can't even believe someone is negotiating on this???

I must completely misunderstand car sales, but then again as P.T. said, there's a sucker born every minute! But I had no idea the profits could be on this level!

IMO - the car is worth $27.5 max, it was AUCTIONED and I bet you can find the auction record somewhere and I would almost wager the gavel hit on a lower price than I said above.

it was rebuilt 2x

it has a tarnished title

it has 4500 miles on it

it has a bogus warranty

it is last year's model, the 08s are due any day now

Thanks though, I now need to rethink where the money is at in sales, it looks to be a market filled with gullible buyers... It's your $34K, I'm not judging you.
Old 07-15-07, 10:08 AM
rocky1
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by onsknht
I can't even believe someone is negotiating on this???

I must completely misunderstand car sales, but then again as P.T. said, there's a sucker born every minute! But I had no idea the profits could be on this level!

IMO - the car is worth $27.5 max, it was AUCTIONED and I bet you can find the auction record somewhere and I would almost wager the gavel hit on a lower price than I said above.

it was rebuilt 2x

it has a tarnished title

it has 4500 miles on it

it has a bogus warranty

it is last year's model, the 08s are due any day now

Thanks though, I now need to rethink where the money is at in sales, it looks to be a market filled with gullible buyers... It's your $34K, I'm not judging you.
Talk is cheap?? Find a ES350 anywhere in the country with less than 10,000miles for under $30K - I can't. FYI : The warranty is from Lexus.
Old 07-15-07, 01:48 PM
2thfixr
Lexus Test Driver

If your only option is to buy a buyback due to finances, maybe you should walk away from the ES350 altogether. I don't mean this to sound arrogant or anything remotely close to that. I only say that as a word of advice to someone that is headed down the wrong path. The tranny issue is NOT resolved and if your dealership is telling you that, that's all the more reason why you should not do business with them.
Old 07-15-07, 03:24 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I suggest buying new. This car is questionable.

Quick Reply: Should I buy a ES350 Manufacturer buy back?