ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

h.i.d suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-07, 04:50 AM
Damon B.
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default h.i.d suggestions?

I want h.i.ds, didn't want to fork out the money for the package that included them. Anybody have a good suggestion on what to do or how to go about making my healights h.i.d?
Old 06-18-07, 06:22 PM
larrynimmo
Driver School Candidate

contrary to what you think or may have been led to believe, it is virtually impossible to buy these cars without HID... it comes with all the available packages...that being said, I bought a set of HID kit from Ebay for her 02 Avalon. Took less than an hour to install and it is very bright. While I am a refrigeration mechanic with installation skills, the reality is that this installation was plug-and-play. No regrets.
Old 06-18-07, 06:22 PM
larrynimmo
Driver School Candidate

I only paid $145 total including shipping
Old 06-19-07, 08:09 AM
Damon B.
Driver School Candidate

how do you figure it is impossible to get it without hids? Go to lexus.com, type in 98424 as the zip code when it says "find your local inventory" see what packages come back....
Old 06-19-07, 11:34 AM
07LexusGuy
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Damon B.
how do you figure it is impossible to get it without hids? Go to lexus.com, type in 98424 as the zip code when it says "find your local inventory" see what packages come back....
I think he meant that its very VERY hard to find an ES w/o HID - NOT that it is totally impossible. The ES in its most basic configuration does NOT have HID, so it is possible to find one out there with halogen lights. I'm sure its equally rare, but you might be able to find one with cloth seats too (perhaps in super sunny states where people dont want hot leather to burn their buns??).

But back to your original question - would it be possible to buy a pair of ES headlights (the ones made for HID) and put an HID kit into it? Or... buy the HID components from the parts department and replace your current light setup? I'm just guessing here, not sure if its a plug-and-play affair - but at least the car is made to take HIDs.

Perhaps doing a retro may cost more in the end then buying the original package in the first place though... but that's your call to make.
Old 06-19-07, 12:06 PM
Damon B.
Driver School Candidate

they actually have aftermarket kits out there, and I'm pretty much seeing which ones people may have used, they only run a couple of hundred dollars. Maybe I am expecting too much knowledge of aftermarket products on this forum. I'm a former honda/infiniti g35/ crotch rocket owner (I'm 24), so previous web forums I've been on would have no problem with a issue such as this.
Btw, which dealer did you purchase your Es from?
Old 06-20-07, 06:44 AM
07LexusGuy
Pole Position

they actually have aftermarket kits out there, and I'm pretty much seeing which ones people may have used, they only run a couple of hundred dollars. Maybe I am expecting too much knowledge of aftermarket products on this forum. I'm a former honda/infiniti g35/ crotch rocket owner (I'm 24), so previous web forums I've been on would have no problem with a issue such as this.
Btw, which dealer did you purchase your Es from?
Oh hey, I'm 24 too! I got mine at Lexus of Seattle. Looks like you're in the neighborhood as well (er... in WA anyways).

If you're considering the aftermarket kit, may I recommend getting the appropriate projectors made for the HID lights? I'm not sure if the standard halogen projectors are designed to take HID bulbs w/o making tremendous amounts of glare.
Old 06-20-07, 07:50 AM
Damon B.
Driver School Candidate

I'm in fife, so I went and got mine in fife. I don't have The hids, I don't think there would be any huge difference if any difference at all in the type of projector lense used on the headlights. I'll try to check more into that.
Old 06-20-07, 11:49 AM
07LexusGuy
Pole Position

I'm in fife, so I went and got mine in fife. I don't have The hids, I don't think there would be any huge difference if any difference at all in the type of projector lense used on the headlights. I'll try to check more into that.
Yah, I know only about folks on the Toyotanation forum who have done the retrofit themselves. From what I've read, the optics in projectors used with halogens are not always the same as those used with HID - thus when the two are interchanged, the HID will not be focused correctly. But then again, they may also be the same in the ES - I'm not too sure on this. Always best to check before blinding a police car and getting pulled over

Good luck on your project
Old 06-20-07, 05:05 PM
larrynimmo
Driver School Candidate

while everything you all are saying is correct, the fact is that the additional glare on my wifes 2002 avalon is not to the point that it is objectionable. No one has ever flashed their lights at me telling me my glare is blinding them. That being said, I can't stand being directly ahead of my wife because that continuous light in my drivers side mirror is enough to be annoying. And yet head-on because the exposure is relatively short the glare doesn't cross the line. I also had to custom set the height of each lamp.