ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Unintended Acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-07, 08:38 AM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've been driving my ES350 for over a year, and it came equipped with the all weather mats on top of the carpeted mats. In all this time the all weather mats never shifted even though they're not held down by the eye hook anchor.
If you look at the back of the OEM All Weather mats you'll see that they have very deep dimples to prevent the mats from shifting, so I have no intentions of removing the carpeted mats, since I like the extra sound absorption that they afford.
If I noticed any shifting, in the least, then, and only then would I remove the carpeted mats!
I think that Lexus sent this notice out just to protect their liability.
I have checked all the manufacturers of aftermarket all weather mats and NONE of them have anchor holes. All they have are some sort of dimples to prevent shifting! I'm sure if they were that important they would have included anchor holes.

Last edited by amf1932; 06-15-07 at 08:44 AM.
Old 06-15-07, 01:35 PM
Pheonix
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by Craig B
On May 18, the couple's daughter, Allyson, and five girlfriends set out for the
Galleria mall in Richmond Heights to celebrate Allyson's 17th birthday.
there's the problem...

10-1 odds it was her ****ing flip-flop stuck under the gas pedal because she took them off to hang her foot out the window like all the girls are doing now...
Old 06-15-07, 02:09 PM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Pheonix
there's the problem...

10-1 odds it was her ****ing flip-flop stuck under the gas pedal because she took them off to hang her foot out the window like all the girls are doing now...
10-1 odds you don't have any kids and just an ignorant ****. How can you read this article, and a number of posts in this forum reporting exactly the same issues, and make a comment like that? All of us who purchased the all weather mats with ES350 have received this recall/warning letter. There are lots of official reports about this problem. Back in my previous ES350 ownership, winter mats were thrown in the trunk. When I installed those myself, I took the original one out. But, if dealership would of installed it for me, than I might not even notice it. There is nothig funny in here, including amf comment "I have it, and there is no problem with it." If your grandkids would of been reading this, I'm sure they would fix your mats in a blink of an eye because they care for your life no matter of your denial of "no problem"...

Also, this is not the first time Toyota has problems with all weather mats. We also have '05 Highlander which had a recall letter for weather mats over a year ago. So, one would think they learned their lesson and will check to make sure it woull not happen across other cars. I guess not

Last edited by twister; 06-15-07 at 04:24 PM.
Old 06-15-07, 06:18 PM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by twister
10-1 odds you don't have any kids and just an ignorant ****. How can you read this article, and a number of posts in this forum reporting exactly the same issues, and make a comment like that? All of us who purchased the all weather mats with ES350 have received this recall/warning letter. There are lots of official reports about this problem. Back in my previous ES350 ownership, winter mats were thrown in the trunk. When I installed those myself, I took the original one out. But, if dealership would of installed it for me, than I might not even notice it. There is nothig funny in here, including amf comment "I have it, and there is no problem with it." If your grandkids would of been reading this, I'm sure they would fix your mats in a blink of an eye because they care for your life no matter of your denial of "no problem"...

Also, this is not the first time Toyota has problems with all weather mats. We also have '05 Highlander which had a recall letter for weather mats over a year ago. So, one would think they learned their lesson and will check to make sure it woull not happen across other cars. I guess not
I sure as hell wasn't trying to be glib in my post, and I also pride myself with being able to check things out, with my own eyes, the feasibility of these mats interferring with the proper operation of the accelerator or brake pedals!!
I even tried moving the mat to cover the pedals which really seemed ridiculous 'cause it was almost impossible to do, since the pedals are nowhere near the mats. Unless you want to call this "Mat Flare"
Like I said before, this notification was probably done for liability reason and nothing else. I really wish that someone, with even the slightest bit of intelligence could show me how this BS can occur! Give me a ****ing break.
Old 06-15-07, 06:25 PM
92ES5sp
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

Phoenix

AMF
Old 06-15-07, 06:39 PM
Pheonix
Lexus Champion

Cool

I don't have any kids? No **** shirlock i'm 24 and not an idiot.
I might happen to know exactly what the hell the what's when's and hows are to teenagers. i still date quite afew from time to time if they're fine as everything and daddy has deep pockets, i have a half dozen pre-teen and teenage cousins, i'm in college with abunch of 17-19 year olds.

Not to mention jesus christ I'm not stupid I remember what I was doing all of seven years ago at 17... You do realize the civic I still drive has a gigantic bend & crack on the frame because when I was a teenager, we did off-road hill-climbing in FWD import junk cars right?
Ya Toysrme and teenagers. They've met... And it was probably an intimate and vigours session in you pool. assuming you have a pool.

Trust me... The odds are that her flip-flop got caught under the gas pedal while she was goofing off and she went bailing for a quick answer.

Last edited by Pheonix; 06-15-07 at 06:45 PM.
Old 06-15-07, 06:44 PM
Pheonix
Lexus Champion

Cool

and off the record just oh my god your new jersey head out of whoever's sandy box its in & try having a since of humor.
Old 06-15-07, 07:01 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by amf1932
I sure as hell wasn't trying to be glib in my post, and I also pride myself with being able to check things out, with my own eyes, the feasibility of these mats interferring with the proper operation of the accelerator or brake pedals!!
I even tried moving the mat to cover the pedals which really seemed ridiculous 'cause it was almost impossible to do, since the pedals are nowhere near the mats. Unless you want to call this "Mat Flare"
Like I said before, this notification was probably done for liability reason and nothing else. I really wish that someone, with even the slightest bit of intelligence could show me how this BS can occur! Give me a ****ing break.
My car was delivered in May '06 and the all weather mats were in the trunk. In the winter, when I put them in the car I opted to remove the carpeted mats just because I didn't like the feel of all those layers under foot. A few times this spring though I put the winter mat on top of the carpeted mat on the drivers side for a few days when the weather was sloppy, and never had any problem at all with the mat shifting. Not sure if it's the case with the unintended acceleration, but people need to take some responsibility for things that happen on their watch. It's not always someone else's fault.
Old 06-15-07, 07:49 PM
Patric
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Not sure if it's the case with the unintended acceleration, but people need to take some responsibility for things that happen on their watch. It's not always someone else's fault.
Exactly. Should I sue the toilet paper company if I forget to wipe my *ss?

Pat
Old 06-16-07, 12:48 AM
2thfixr
Lexus Test Driver

Thought I would add my experience here. My ES350 is Crystal White/Tan so it's a royal PITA to keep the interior clean. I even have a Magic Eraser tucked under the seat because it's used so often. I bought the car for my mother in law because she basically drives my 3 boys to/from school, lessons, athletic events. It came with the tan mats so I bought clearmats to go over them. During the rainy season, the water rolled right off the clearmats and into the channels around them so I got the all weather mats and put them on top of the clear mats that were on top of the factory mats! No problems whatsoever despite having the slippery clearmat surface under them. Once I got the letter from Lexus, I immediately pulled them out and the driver's side only has the all weather mat now. She is not the best driver in the world but we never had any issues with unintended acceleration.

The interesting thing to me is that I have had 2 unintended acceleration events in my GL450! However, they were completely my fault and I know it was caused by me pressing the gas and brake at the same time. I have never EVER done this before in another vehicle but for some reason I did it twice on the GL shortly after I bought it. After both incidents I tried to duplicate the conditions but I couldn't repeat it. The pedals aren't even that close but for some reason by foot managed to grab both pedals. Maybe it was my seating position (which hasn't changed), maybe it was my shoes, maybe it was my posture, I have no idea. I just know it was definitely me and not the car. Fortunately I always heel and toe downshift in my 997S so once the GL started to accelerate, it was almost a natural instinct to roll my foot over towards the brake and I stopped the car. To this day, I am not sure how I did it but I know without a doubt that it was me. I would be very interested to know if all of the unintended acceleration events show evidence of skid marks on the non-drive wheels. If a car is accelerating out of control without throttle input and the driver is holding down the brakes as hard as they can, skid marks on the non-drive wheels would have to be present. There is no way you can have sudden acceleration due to mechanical/electronic failure and coincidental brake failure. Even if full braking power is not sufficient to lock up the drive wheels under full acceleration, the non drive wheels will lock up with full brake application. No skid marks = no unintended acceleration unless of course the car took off by itself and the driver just sat there and watched it all happen.
Old 06-16-07, 03:13 AM
static
Driver

I bought mine at the first service during the winter, the dealer put them in the trunk, I installed them myself in the cold and didn't notice until i took them out in the spring that I had put the passenger side mat on the drivers side. I only noticed when i got the notice in the mail from lexus and tried installing them with the original mats removed and the hole didn't line up right.

The passenger side mat is a few inches longer and if you don't remove the original mat, you may not notice.

My mats didn't shift around, at least not that I noticed.

They are very stiff and not the easiest thing to get in place. I'm wondering if maybe they did the same thing I did, put the longer one on the driver side and just never got it in the proper place on the floor.
Old 06-16-07, 06:32 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by static
I bought mine at the first service during the winter, the dealer put them in the trunk, I installed them myself in the cold and didn't notice until i took them out in the spring that I had put the passenger side mat on the drivers side. I only noticed when i got the notice in the mail from lexus and tried installing them with the original mats removed and the hole didn't line up right.

The passenger side mat is a few inches longer and if you don't remove the original mat, you may not notice.

My mats didn't shift around, at least not that I noticed.

They are very stiff and not the easiest thing to get in place. I'm wondering if maybe they did the same thing I did, put the longer one on the driver side and just never got it in the proper place on the floor.
I agree, the all-weather mats are very stiff and can be hard to work with. One day when I was cleaning the interior, I set the mats on the driveway in the sun. When I went to put them back in the car, they were quite flexible from the heat. This made it easier to put in and hook up to the clips. In just a few minutes when they cooled off they had firmed back up.
Old 06-16-07, 01:04 PM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

I can not believe we are still arguing about this being BS or a real problem?!? Even if there is a remote possibility of two stacked mats causing unintended acceleration, why would you take this chance? Robert’s response is what I would expect from others: I don't have a problem, why take a chance, mats are removed. Ignorance of a few others just shows your stupidity. Are you saying, for those who have both stacked mats, after this warning from Lexus you didn't do anything and kept it as is?

@Pheonix: You said it yourself, "I don't have any kids... i'm 24 and not an idiot... i'm in college with a bunch of 17-19 year olds." Yes, you are a brilliant person who knows how to not impregnate underage teenage girls with daddies who have deep pockets. I'm a bit older than you are (not much so) and have 2 year old at home who has a long time to go before driving. But, reading something like this makes me shiver inside thinking one day this could be my little girl driving. One of these days, when you are mature enough to be blessed with a kid of your own, than you will understand. Now, go enjoy your underage biatches
Old 06-16-07, 01:46 PM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by twister
I can not believe we are still arguing about this being BS or a real problem?!? Even if there is a remote possibility of two stacked mats causing unintended acceleration, why would you take this chance? Robert’s response is what I would expect from others: I don't have a problem, why take a chance, mats are removed. Ignorance of a few others just shows your stupidity. Are you saying, for those who have both stacked mats, after this warning from Lexus you didn't do anything and kept it as is?

@Pheonix: You said it yourself, "I don't have any kids... i'm 24 and not an idiot... i'm in college with a bunch of 17-19 year olds." Yes, you are a brilliant person who knows how to not impregnate underage teenage girls with daddies who have deep pockets. I'm a bit older than you are (not much so) and have 2 year old at home who has a long time to go before driving. But, reading something like this makes me shiver inside thinking one day this could be my little girl driving. One of these days, when you are mature enough to be blessed with a kid of your own, than you will understand. Now, go enjoy your underage biatches
I am NOT a sheep who follows recommendations that in my estimation are not plausible. This mat thing is NOT plausible, but this letter was released to the general Lexus community, only because some of these people, who in my estimation were looking for a more serious problem. These few people have no knowledge of the mechanics, or what makes an automobile run!

I don't think it's ignorance or stupidity when a person does not go along with a suggestion that in their estimation is totally irrational. Too these people I applaud and respect them.

If you believe in nonsense, you may become “addicted” to believing in nonsense. When you believe in the nonsense, a positive reinforcement is given via a desirable brain chemistry change. We seek that brain chemistry change and, in some cases, become addicted.
Old 06-16-07, 03:23 PM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Alan, I guess everyone is entitled to their own opinion, which is right relative to their own point of view. But, just for the sake of argument, if your kids or grandkids be driving ES350 with two stacked floor mats, would you do anything about it?

Quick Reply: Unintended Acceleration