ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

My Lexus Story Ends......

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-07, 01:51 PM
Swobro
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Lexus Story Ends......

My buyback finally was realized last week as Impartial Services (3rd party contracted by Lexus) met me at a local dealership to inspect and assume responsibility for the car. It's now on it's way to an auction somewhere.

Lexus made me whole (paid off my loan + interest) with the exception of mileage. The mileage recorded (~11K miles) was from when I first took the car into the dealer for the "flare/slip," and actually the car has nearly 30K miles on it now. I was presented a check for the difference between the loan payoff amount and the interest that I had paid (nearly all up front, of course).

I immediately proceeded to an Acura dealership who was willing to sell me an Acura TL Type S for $500 below invoice and at 3.9% financing. I learned ab out the Acura deals through this website, by the way! My payments are in fact lower now than with the Lexus.

Many of the quirks reported here do not exist in the Acura, and in fact I feel that it is a more comfortable driving position, despite the sporty handling. And the transmission is a DREAM!

I do still like the ES exterior styling - classy looking car.

I'll drop by the forum now and then to see how things are going.
Old 06-04-07, 02:41 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Well, I'm happy to hear that all went well.

It's unfortunate that the ES did not work for you. You got a great deal on the TL and I hope you enjoy it much more than the ES. Acura is a great brand with similar luxury and reliability that you'd expect from a Japanese marque.

Good luck. Be sure to keep in touch with our community from time to time. We'd love to hear of long-term stories of other cars in our Car Chat forum...
Old 06-04-07, 04:48 PM
ESDragon
Driver

Great choice on the new Acura TL TypeS. If I ever get rid of my ES, I will definitely go for the Acura.
Old 06-04-07, 06:15 PM
2007es350
Lead Lap

The Acura TL was my first choice to replace the ES350 in the same price range as the ES350.
Old 06-05-07, 12:25 PM
onsknht
Pole Position

I was wondering when you'd come back here and make an announcement... No more sneaking up on me over at AZ, eh?
Old 06-05-07, 02:05 PM
rlj4246
Pole Position

New TL coming out in 09 so they are sell slower now. I could tell you the downsides of the TL as I had a 06 and 07 but I will let you find out for yourself. The tranies do not slip however. enjoy
Old 06-05-07, 04:56 PM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a 2000, 2003 and 2004 TL before this ES. I do miss some things on the TL, there are some things I don't. But, I agree, the tranny on the 04 is the best automatic I have ever driven. Shifts great under hard acceleration, very responsive! Enjoy it!!
Old 06-05-07, 08:01 PM
gpension
Driver School Candidate

Congrats - I'm looking at the RL once my situation is settled.
Old 06-05-07, 08:26 PM
DonBee1166
Driver School Candidate

I am in shock and awe that you accomplished a buyback. Three weeks ago my car was involved in an incident because of the floor mat issue- my daughter's friend was driving and the recalled all- weather mat jammed up under the accelerator unknown to her and she was standing on the brake and unable to stop the car. The brakes on my car didn't work, neither did pushing the engine switch to kill the engine, shifting into neutral didn't work, etc. They finally had to throw the car in park at 90mph to stop the car. My transmission is toast, my brake system is essentially melted and they are finally offering to fix these problems at no cost to me, but I want a factory assisted trade in. Lexus has refused, and now I go through the Atty General for arbitration. Their recalled floormat they installed for me almost killed these kids. I don't know how you got a buyback but good for you! I wish I could get so lucky. My daughter refuses to get in this car now, and I won't drive it either...

Please go to the website SaferCar.gov then click on ongoing investigations. YOu then enter the info about these cars, and you can read the letter the US DOT sent to Toyota Mar 2007 announcing the investigation of the ES350. You can also go to this site, click on File a complaint, then search complaints and enter your info. You will be shocked by the number of dangerous situations this car has created by a floor mat design flaw. Take yours out if you have one- it could save your life!
Old 06-05-07, 09:14 PM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

Wow... Didn't know the issue was this serious. Glad to hear your daughters are ok, and glad I went with 3GS.
Old 06-06-07, 07:15 AM
kingofire
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

For the people considering buying the TL, just an FYI, there is a $3500 manufacuterer to dealer incentive on the RL till July 2nd and a lot of the dealers are willing to sell the RL with the Tech Package for around $39,000. That is an awesome deal on a car thats MSRP'd around $50,000. I am surprised sales for the RL are so low! Maybe they dont advertise enough.
Old 06-06-07, 07:25 AM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

Jeez, last time I checked the local Acura dealer they were advertising 45k and I thought that was cheap enough!
Old 06-06-07, 07:35 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by kingofire
For the people considering buying the TL, just an FYI, there is a $3500 manufacuterer to dealer incentive on the RL till July 2nd and a lot of the dealers are willing to sell the RL with the Tech Package for around $39,000. That is an awesome deal on a car thats MSRP'd around $50,000. I am surprised sales for the RL are so low! Maybe they dont advertise enough.
Wow, that is a good price on the RL. There is some very tough competition in that segment for the RL.
Old 06-07-07, 08:05 AM
kingofire
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Yang1815
Jeez, last time I checked the local Acura dealer they were advertising 45k and I thought that was cheap enough!
Yeah, edmunds TMV price for the boston area is around $42,500. A friend of mine brought that to the dealer and showed them that price so they agreed to it then gave him the $3500 rebate on top. It ended up being a sweet deal for him but he did have to fight for the price. I sat in the car today and boy its a great car, silky smooth transmission and very quiet but first look and you could tell the materials used are not up to par with my Lexus ES330. If i had to pick between the the ES350 and RL, I would go with the ES350 but the bang for the buck you get with the RL is unbeatable. I am a visual person and the ES inside out is a better looking woman albeit with a smaller cup size.
Old 06-07-07, 11:13 AM
rlj4246
Pole Position

next year is the last for the current TL. All new in 09 and very likely will offer awd. I drove both the TL and RL when I bought my TLs and I did not like the RL nearly as well and what you save on the front end you will lose when you go to trade. The AWD is a front wheel converted instead of rwd like the GS. TL is a very nice car but does not offer any where near the tech toys the Lexus offers and the NAV screen is low resolution and back up camera is all but usless. Takes forever to come on when you start the car and if the sun is behind you forget it. You can't see anything. Also the camera is low contrast and screen being of lower resolution makes for a pretty crummy item. One the plus side you can use the NAV while dirving with no problem. I still prefer the Lexus but that is just my 2c

Quick Reply: My Lexus Story Ends......