ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Potential New Buyer Questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-07, 08:07 AM
js0873
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Potential New Buyer Questions

I'm an owner today of 2 Lexus ES300 vehicles ('97 and '98). I'm interested in getting one of the new 350s, but have some navigation/radio questions I haven't seen answered yet:

Is it possible to get the car's stereo equipped with HD Radio?

Does the navigation system announce street names, or is that even planned in the future?

Does the factory XM radio have a buffer for the sound, so that rewind and fast forward are available? That option is available today on most after market XM radios, but I don’t see it discussed anywhere on the factory installed one. If not, do aftermarket XM radios integrate into the Lexus navigation system, so that I can have the buffer while selecting satellite stations via the integrated navigational display?
Old 06-03-07, 09:23 AM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is it possible to get the car's stereo equipped with HD Radio
This option is not available as a factory equipped option on any Lexus radios.

Does the navigation system announce street names, or is that even planned in the future?
Since the ES350, and in fact ALL models of 2007 Lexus', don't announce street names. I don't know whether this option is planned for the future, but it's highly unlikely because the NAV system was changed in '07 to the newest generation of GPS devices, and Lexus usually keeps new generation NAV's for about 3 years. This is from my past experience with Lexus automobiles.

Does the factory XM radio have a buffer for the sound
This, I can't answer, but I'm sure one of the members will give you that answer.
Old 06-04-07, 07:34 AM
Crawn
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My XM Satellite does not have a buffer. It's "attached" to the Premium Audio / Nav. I can't answer re after market units. FYI, as you'll note from another thread on the quality of the 350 radio, I'd only consider the ML.

My Nav does announce freeways and highways. I seem to recall that interstate names are mentioned in normal conversational style. State highways are announced by saying each individual number of the highway - for example "one, zero, zero" instead of "one hundred". Significantly versus some other systems I've heard, it does announce east or north as opposed to only "turn here". The system does not seem to recognize any street names in cities.