ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Another e350 falls to transmission flare

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-07, 08:56 PM
Skeltron
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Another e350 falls to transmission flare

I believe the title explains everything.

It all started when I got the Es350 in December of 06. I joined CL Feb/07 and I have been trolling around the Es350 forum keeping a keen eye out for any existing/new problems that have arisen. Since dec/06 I have taken multiple trips to the dealership for miscellaneous problems none of which have been because of transmission flare. Around 1500 miles I noticed my first trans flare (only 300 rpm). I did not pay any attention to it because I thought it was a rogue incident. After reading someones post (sorry for not mentioning your name) awhile back on how they got $crewed on the mileage depreciation on their buyback along with seeing a 800 rpm flare on a coldstart this morning I decided to get this trans flare reported.

I have now just taken my Es350 to the dealership for one of which I know will be one of many trips for transmission flare which will lead to transmission replacement(s). They have taken my car overnight to evaluate it and see if they can "reproduce" the flare, which I am not quite sure they will do (but nothing a camcorder wont catch on an early morning!). I hope the transmission replacement that I will most likely end of getting will fix the problem. If not... this truely is the beginning of countless headaches and phone calls to lexus corporate for what eventually will be another Es350 buyback.

I am just posting this for future reference and just as another testimonial of how the Club Lexus community has helped me notice problems with my car which might have gone unnoticed for quite a long time otherwise.

2007 Es350 Black Sapphire/Cashmere 10/07 build.
Premium Plus Package. Nav/no ML
Probably the Youngest Es350 owner at 18. Who says kids don't have good taste?

Last edited by Skeltron; 05-11-07 at 09:02 PM.
Old 05-12-07, 01:07 AM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

*yawn*

this is why people should
-report the problem to the dealership early, so that you don't get too screwed on mileage deduction if you go for a buyback later. If you report the problem first at 1500 miles, you only pay a ~1% penalty in CA.
-get a camcorder (what, you don't videotape your kids?)
-check the state lemon law and use an attorney if you really really want to unload the car.

Don't be a slave to your car.

As for mileage deduction in california, you can play the game in your favor. if you bring your car in early at 1500miles, and the 2nd transmission replacement slips, you can drive your car for a year or 2 or 3 before getting an attorney. Mileage deduction is based on the first time you reported the problem.

So you can drive for 30000 miles and only pay for 1500 miles of use (~$350). Think of it as a $350/24 = $15/month lease
Old 05-12-07, 04:20 AM
meadoel
Rookie

Originally Posted by Skeltron
They have taken my car overnight to evaluate it and see if they can "reproduce" the flare, which I am not quite sure they will do (but nothing a camcorder wont catch on an early morning!).
I would suggest you start video taping it each morning. I use my palm treo which does a great job of getting a clear picture of the speedometer, tach, and mileage meter. I also do a brief voice-over so they know it was me, and the date I recorded it.

I will tell you my dealership staff always starts with "We can't re-create it." until I mention that I have it on video tape. They always act surprised, then become VERY helpful once they processes what I said and the implications. I keep both flares and non flares to show the inconsistency.
Old 05-12-07, 07:28 AM
Swobro
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dunnojack
*yawn*

As for mileage deduction in california, you can play the game in your favor. if you bring your car in early at 1500miles, and the 2nd transmission replacement slips, you can drive your car for a year or 2 or 3 before getting an attorney. Mileage deduction is based on the first time you reported the problem.

So you can drive for 30000 miles and only pay for 1500 miles of use (~$350). Think of it as a $350/24 = $15/month lease

You guys are awesome and I'm cracking up.....right now I have about 28K miles on my car after about a year of ownership. I reported the issue when I had ~10K miles on the car. Therefore the check that will be delivered to me in about a week is going to be for just about $6K more than I owe on the car.
Old 05-13-07, 05:00 PM
Skeltron
Driver School Candidate

Update: Car has been held until monday. They are seeing if they will precede on the transmission tsib even though my car is 4000+ after the cutoff vin number. Replacing the transmission on a 5 month old car. I see a buyback in the near future.
Old 05-13-07, 05:09 PM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Update: Car has been held until monday. They are seeing if they will precede on the transmission tsib even though my car is 4000+ after the cutoff vin number. Replacing the transmission on a 5 month old car. I see a buyback in the near future.
I would ingore the VIN cutoff, several owners have reported transmission problems long after the cutoff VIN # and also quite a few getting a 2nd transmission placed in their car as well.
Old 05-13-07, 06:04 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

just keep giving the cars back.

toyota has too much money anyway. and they don't deserve it if they can't fix it right. Enough people have to screw toyota in the butthole before they'll do something about this problem.
Old 05-16-07, 05:24 PM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is anyone keeping a scorecard? What number tranny is this that flares? 38,473?
Old 05-16-07, 06:12 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

This is pretty amazing, are these transmissions ticking timebombs or is it just random cars that has no real answer, they all have identical parts in them.
Old 05-16-07, 06:34 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by EDGE2
This is pretty amazing, are these transmissions ticking timebombs or is it just random cars that has no real answer, they all have identical parts in them.
seems random. mine didn't have it after 10000 miles.
Old 05-16-07, 06:45 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by dunnojack
seems random. mine didn't have it after 10000 miles.
I agree. After over 1 year, no problem.
Old 05-16-07, 09:46 PM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I agree. After over 1 year, no problem.
Same here.
Old 05-16-07, 10:06 PM
2007es350
Lead Lap

Sorry to hear about your transmission issue. If they perform the transmission replacement, hopefully this will solve your problem. If the transmission replacement doesn't work, then you can pursue other buyback options.
Old 05-17-07, 07:35 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by EDGE2

The poll of replacements indicates it is a widespread problem, though some seem to be holding up and may continue to. Pure had posted that a new transmission was going to be in the 08 model and if it is problem free that would be good news, especially if it can be also be used as a replacement in the 07 model to solve the problem.
Old 05-17-07, 09:25 AM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ES350Bob
The poll of replacements indicates it is a widespread problem, though some seem to be holding up and may continue to. Pure had posted that a new transmission was going to be in the 08 model and if it is problem free that would be good news, especially if it can be also be used as a replacement in the 07 model to solve the problem.
Sorry to disappoint, but Lexus has NO intentions of changing transmissions in the '08 ES's. This was told to me by a Lexus official in Japan.

Quick Reply: Another e350 falls to transmission flare