ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

ES350 Base Stereo System

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-07, 09:45 PM
coffee7
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ES350 Base Stereo System

I just got my new Black Sapphire ES350 a month ago and I love it, have had no transmission problems - just plain love it. It doesn't handle like the 325i I traded it for but I knew that going in. This is my first post so I will get around to all that I love about this car but I hope I can get some opinions about the base stereo system.

To put it plainly, I didn't feel like I could afford the Mark Levinson system. I got the Navigation, HID, rain sensor, etc. I really hate the way Lexus makes you pay the huge bonus for the Levinson.

I'm quite disappointed in the base system. I think Lexus has miscalculated in thinking Lexus drivers don't care about good sound unless they pay the big bucks. The base system on the 325i was tremendous, absoutlely crisp sound. I have heard other people say they think the ES sound is fine but I don't hear it. Very weak dynamics for a luxury car.

How does everyone feel about this? I never usually do after-market changes but since I plan to keep this car for a good while I might consider it if I can get some advice on the best way to proceed. Any opinions, suggestions, curses or whatever - lol? Would it help just to upgrade the speakers? What type of dealer should I got to have something like this done? Surely not Best Buy? As you can tell, I've never done it so I'm clueless. It would need to be invisible whatever the options are. Help!
Old 05-05-07, 10:19 AM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If I remember correctly, in order to even get ML system you need to buy a full UL package with panoramic roof. So, you don't even have a choice of a simple upgrade. Regarding the sound system, does yours says "Premium" on it? I'm trying to just compare it base on my original ES350 I had (without NAV) with a basic in-dash system versus the premium non-ML I have right now in GS (also without NAV, but with a 7" touch screen and controls and 130Watt). For me it was a big step up from "base" ES350 audio to "base" GS350 audio. Like I said, I might be comparing apples to oranges in here, but I do remember base ES audio having some distortion at low volume (I can only imagine low signal-to-noise ratio) and of course higher distortion when louder, especially with open sunroof. BUT, a lot of this negative feeling could be due to a comparison with your previous car or in my case, with my new car. For someone coming off a basic no frills Honda/Toyota/Nissan or Ford/GM/Chrysler, this might be the best thing ever with in-dash 6 CD changer that supports mp3/wma and audio controls from steering wheel or touch screen. I was happy with my ES350 audio coming off my Altima, and than being even more happier getting into GS350
Old 05-05-07, 01:18 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

you're right. it's weak, but okay. when listening to CD's, it's ok.
But that's how the base system has always sounded for the last 5 years at least.
Old 05-05-07, 01:35 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

My parents opted not to get the ML system on their ES350.

Compared to ML experiences, it is lacking, but it isn't poor. I think it will satisfy many, and only offend few.
Old 05-05-07, 10:14 PM
Sonartech
Rookie

Yep - You're absolutely right. The ES-350 non-ML audio sucks. It's as bad as any car I've ever owned, in fact. It's far worse than our RX-350's base audio system. We seriously thought something was broken in our ES-350 when we listened to the radio driving it home from the dealer - especially compared to the RX-350. I can't begin to imagine how much difference there is between the crap ES-350 base audio and a ML system.

Toyota screwed up on the base audio in this car. Whomever was in charge of that particular aspect of the ES-350 design needs to be beaten upside the head with the crappy amp and speakers that we made the mistake of paying for. Even the after-market VaisTech SLX XM-Radio unit I added to the car sounds like hammered ****.

SonarTech
Old 05-06-07, 02:49 PM
coffee7
Driver School Candidate

Well, I see most agree with me so far. It's a little discouraging. I doubt though that I would have backed out of buying the car even if I had noticed how weak the system is - because I like the car in so many other ways. The BMW 325i was a sporty driving car and had a good sound system but it was way too cramped inside and had only 200 hp compared to 272 for the ES. I still hope someone might have a good aftermarket suggestion for me - thanks guys.
Old 05-10-07, 06:41 PM
jjrom
Driver School Candidate

Default Base audio system

This system, while not the same quality as that of the Bose system in my MDX, is not too bad. Base response, in my opinion does an adequate job, as does the midrange. I have seen a lot worse.
Old 05-26-07, 12:49 AM
Bash4
Driver School Candidate

Yes this Pioneer system is junk. Totally bumbed out Toyota went cheap. My Acura's had better systems, just had to add bass. I may upgrade speakers and see what that does. Probably just the front door speakers first.
Old 05-26-07, 03:11 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

is this worse than the JBL toyota systems?

I doubt the JBL would cost more. They could just put it in without labeling it JBL.
Old 05-26-07, 04:37 PM
07LexusGuy
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dunnojack
is this worse than the JBL toyota systems?

I doubt the JBL would cost more. They could just put it in without labeling it JBL.
I got a base ES350 loaner and had the chance to test out the sound system against our new '07 Camry XLE with the JBL. I would have to say that unfortunately, the ES's base speakers were just not up to par with the Camry's. Keep in mind though that I was comparing the ES's base system against the Camry's upgraded sound system.

The ML sound though, is lightyears ahead of the JBL systems - my only complaint with the ML speakers is the weak subwoofer.
Old 05-26-07, 04:44 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 07LexusGuy
I got a base ES350 loaner and had the chance to test out the sound system against our new '07 Camry XLE with the JBL. I would have to say that unfortunately, the ES's base speakers were just not up to par with the Camry's. Keep in mind though that I was comparing the ES's base system against the Camry's upgraded sound system.

The ML sound though, is lightyears ahead of the JBL systems - my only complaint with the ML speakers is the weak subwoofer.

that's why i think lexus should just include jbl standard.
Old 05-26-07, 07:09 PM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is my 2 cents, for what it is worth. My wife's previous 04 Sienna had a 10 speaker JBL surrond sound system with DVD, etc. My ES has the ML. I have also driven 3 loaner ES 350s with the base sound system. I must say, the ML is tops. The JBL was not bad and sounded really good with DVD movies, but I was disappointed with the base radio in the loaners. Not up to par on a 35K car. So, Dunno, totally agree with you. Just put the JBL in the base car.
Old 05-26-07, 09:18 PM
coffee7
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Bash4
Yes this Pioneer system is junk. Totally bumbed out Toyota went cheap. My Acura's had better systems, just had to add bass. I may upgrade speakers and see what that does. Probably just the front door speakers first.
So it is a Pioneer system then? Thanks for that info, too bad I couldn't find basic info about the sound system in the brochures or the Lexus website about the base system. That made me suspicious that they weren't too proud of it. Do you know how many watts it has? It's embarrassing to have to ask these questions because most luxury cars brag about their sound systems but Lexus hides the ES base system under a bush.

I love the car enough that I'll have to live with the sound system. The Acura TL was tempting with the great sound system standard (everything's standard on the TL except nav). However, from what I've read the ride of the Acura is a bit too stiff for my taste.

Let us know how it turns out if you upgrade your speakers; I may do the same. I like the Beatles, Sinatra, Ella, classical, Chet Baker, Everly Brothers, Keane, Peggy Lee, The Eagles and so on and so forth but they all sound like crap in my Lexus ES. C'est la vie.
Old 05-27-07, 03:43 AM
GUJIGUJI
Rookie

The base audio system by Pioneer isn't impressive. I think i will upgrade my speakers soon and hopefully gets better result.
Old 05-27-07, 06:41 AM
TJazz
Driver School Candidate

I have to agree with the consensus. My new ES-350's base audio system leaves me puzzled. As a source of background music, it's fine. But to crank it up or look for any real power or presence, the system strains. My 2001 Avalon JBL system was far superior. I understand Lexus wanting to push us all toward the Mark Levinson option, but that is outrageously expensive. On the base system, treble is OK and it's possible to do some tweaking to get decent sound, but really--Lexus missed the mark on this aspect of the car, especially considering the many other upscale features. What is the most cost effective way to get more out of this? New speakers?

Quick Reply: ES350 Base Stereo System