ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

ES350 for 36k

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-07, 04:55 PM
rockfeller
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ES350 for 36k

Has anyone beat this quote? (anywhere 100 mi. radius of NYC) I know it's a good deal but I want the car by Saturday and I want to know if there is anybody who has gotten a better deal. It is for a premium plus package, with preferred and nav for 36k flat. I know NJ dealers are ready to deal. I bought a TL last year for an unbelievable 6k off MSRP in PA, (people still don't believe me) so I am addicted to getting the best deal.
Old 04-20-07, 07:44 PM
ESDragon
Driver

36k for a premium plus is not going to be possible here in the NYC area. I think invoice is like 37k. I doubt anyone is going to give you that price, unless it is an used model.
Old 04-20-07, 08:47 PM
rockfeller
Driver School Candidate

I know, I told you it won't sound believable but it is. I didn't think I'd get as low as I did but I hardballed 4 die-hard dealers with some pressure and got them to deal. One dealer really didn't want to be undersold and gave me my number; 36.

I know cars and buisness well. I used to be a salesman to so I know the tactics and the mentality. As I said I bought an Acura TL last year that stickered at $35.9 and I got it at $30.9. No gimmicks, car is in the garage. People told me I couldn't get less than $32k

MSRP = $41.2k Invoice = $36.8. People told me I couldn't get less than $38. Starfire Pearl on Cashmere, all the necessary toys, waxed and gased waiting for pick-up $36k.

I'm sure this deal could be had in CA. I have always seen good deals go down there. I know I could do better at the end of the year. But it's still April, this is a brand new, 2007 redesigned car below invoice! 6 months ago, this car was in such demand the dealer didn't even have a demo for me to test-drive! And he wanted sticker, no less. Well I was curious if anyone has done even better around NY.
Old 04-20-07, 10:25 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

how did you hardball them? you bid one dealer against another?

i might be shopping around on the internet soon....

Last edited by dunnojack; 04-20-07 at 10:32 PM.
Old 04-21-07, 06:40 AM
ESDragon
Driver

Apparently the ES and RX are the two top models in the dealership. The demand is still very high for them. So if you got it for 36k, that is a hell of a deal. Unless everyone have your negotiation skills, most people are paying around 38 - 39k for the ES.
Old 04-21-07, 09:30 AM
rockfeller
Driver School Candidate

I guess being a native New Yorker and having that way of talking helps. What I mean is I try to get these guys to stop playing games and beating around the bush and be real. They just want a sale and I want the best price. I tell em "Hey I know exactly what car I want, what package I want and what color. I'm ready to buy, cash in hand, this Saturday. Are you ready to sell? Gimmie a bottomline no BS and let's make a deal. I'm talking to other dealers so don't let them undersell you. They can shaft you for just $200. Is that worth losing a sale? I'll drive an extra few miles if you give me incentive." etc. etc. They may ask you which dealer, how much etc. Put your poker face on, play your cards right, and don't tell them what they don't need to know.

I'm careful not to be too aggressive. Nobody likes to work with a person like that. It's all about approach. If the salesman is tough, diehard and wants to play hardball I use a more assertive approach. He needs to realize I am well-informed and did my homework and I know what I want and am serious to buy. If he is niceguy, softer and easier to deal with, then I try a friendlier approach and try to break him down. Sounds evil I know. The dealer is the devil don't worry.

I don't like dealing with floor salesmen. Takes your whole day and you're lucky to get a decent price. They try to charm you and use every trick in the book. I got this price in 1 hr. of conversations talking to 4 different dealers. I would have spent 3-4 hrs at a dealership and not touched this price. As a matter of fact I DID go to a dealership and did a test-drive and after some discussion, got him down to only $38.8. He was saying no way lower, closed his folder and didn't want to talk anymore. These dealers want to make 2% over invoice saying they don't make money AT invoice. BS! There's dealer hold-back, factory incentives, floorplan credits, conquest cash; a lot of stuff dealers with not disclose to you. People were paying high last year because this still being a fresh car the dealers could demand a high price for "next year's" model and justify. Momentum is starting to slow as this model is starting to settle to normalcy and come to real-world value.

People on the phone want to talk price and nothing else. Car buying has changed so much with the advent of internet/phone sales and is really driving up competition. I think my price is good for 1hr's work? Maybe it's green light and I'll go with it?

Last edited by rockfeller; 04-21-07 at 09:34 AM.
Old 04-21-07, 12:59 PM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Month end is next week and that dealer's numbers may be way off. They need to move some cars. Might be a great time to take advantage of the situation.
Old 04-21-07, 01:53 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

if you got below invoice, that's hella good.

i only got 10%. next time i'm doing crap over the internet and phone through the fleet mgrs.
Old 04-21-07, 03:46 PM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Is this for a brand new, less than 50 miles on the odometer ES350 or does the car have more miles? If it has more miles, maybe its a buyback or rejected car.
Old 04-22-07, 01:07 AM
rockfeller
Driver School Candidate

Hmmm something is really goin on. I got some inside info from my best friend in the auto industry. Some kind of special rebate/incentive/bonus is goin on. Of course these guys aren't going to disclose anything to me. All I have to say is I have another 2 more dealers desperate to make a sale. I have one of them down to 35K!!

2 cousins came over today and told me they just bought Lexuses yesterday. One paid 47k for an RX and another paid $37k for a IS250 AWD. They were bragging about how good a deal they got. You should have seen the look on their faces when I told them I am getting the ES for $35k!! I shoulda told them I'd do the talking. I don't think they believed me, but they will when they see me rollin by on Sunday.

This price is for a brand-spankin new ES with less than 20 miles and the car is sitting on the lot, I don't have to wait. If for any reason the first dealer I see tries anything funny or tries a bait and switch I am on to the next dealer. I have 3 dealers giving me an unbelievable deal here between 35-36k. We are talking $6600+ off MSRP....$1800 under invoice! I am so excited, I am going to write a check tommorrow for somebody and drive a Lexus home!

Last edited by rockfeller; 04-22-07 at 01:13 AM.
Old 04-22-07, 05:39 AM
Macklin
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rock, I find this all a bit hard to believe, but if true...more power to you dude! Be sure to post a pic once she is home in your driveway.

It was over a year ago when I decided it was time to replace my near 10 yo ES300. (Problem free car for all those years.) Didn't like the ES330 and was considering an IS until I saw spy pics of the new ES. I decided I HAD to have one. I put a deposit down on one of the very first to arrive. I tried to haggle with my saleman, but he said no way. We have folks lined up behind you for this car. They generously offered $500 off for being a previous customer.

First and LAST time I will do that!

Last edited by Macklin; 04-22-07 at 05:48 AM.
Old 04-22-07, 12:23 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

hah. i hope you don't get baited.
that's really a good way to get you to drive down to the dealership, and then tell you the car is already sold to someone else

is there anyway to get them to commit before driving your *** down there?
Old 04-23-07, 07:37 AM
ESDragon
Driver

I don't see any point for this post. It looks like you are more like BRAGGING on how low you can get the car for. Most of us here already have gotten the vehicle. So unless you can actually help other members here get the car for that price then you are really wasting everyone's time. On a side note, I highly recommend you read all the other posts about the ES tranny issue before actually buying the car.
Old 04-23-07, 08:28 AM
GumboChief
Driver School Candidate

I could not agree more regarding the mental ************ nature of this thread. Until you complete the purchase, OP has nothing to talk about.
Originally Posted by ESDragon
I don't see any point for this post. It looks like you are more like BRAGGING on how low you can get the car for. Most of us here already have gotten the vehicle. So unless you can actually help other members here get the car for that price then you are really wasting everyone's time. On a side note, I highly recommend you read all the other posts about the ES tranny issue before actually buying the car.
Old 04-24-07, 12:55 AM
rockfeller
Driver School Candidate

OK so this thread started out with the question "is this a good deal or can I get better". I emphasized a few points for the disbelievers because understandably what I am saying sounds made up. Sorry it sounds like bragging or rubbing it in, but the point of this whole thread is not to boast in the least. I guess it's new car excitement.

Now my message is different; If you thought you can't get the car less than $36k you now know it's possible. I don't mean to make anyone feel bad if you bought the car awhile ago at $40k. If you're in the market to buy in the future, I just want to point out how good of a deal is out there for you and how well you can do. I searched the forum for any threads about the best price anybody has gotten and nobody has talked about it. That is the point of this thread.

Well the fact is it's a done deal. Brought her home on Saturday just as I said. The car is in the garage. 12 miles on the odometer. Starfire Pearl on Cashmere. Price? $35.5k! I talked the doc fee to half and got them to throw is all weather mats too. I saved $6500 in total. This car is for my father in CT. I didn't take a pic because I had to catch my flight back to Chicago but I will some later.

Did the dealer play any games? I was expecting them to pull something. The guy I talked to on the phone was "busy" so they referred me to another salesman which got me ticked because he tried to start bargaining from $38k all over again. I said heeell no I'm not wasting my time. We already discussed and laid everything out at $35-$36k and I want to talk to the original salesman or I'm OUT! Well then they saw my BMW and wanted me to trade it if I wanted that price. I said only if they give me a outstanding offer. The BMW has a book value of $6-$7k and has a trashed tranny ($3k repair!), so they gave me $3k for it.....so all is well. I didn't have to dump a car with a bad tranny in a private sale and be liable and they took the car off my hands easy. So in the end everything worked out A-OK.

I am a car enthusiast and highly informed because I do my homework. Of course I know about the tranny issue. It wasn't enough to scare me from buying though. Try this, look on ANY forum for ANY car you will defintely see very common issues being talked about. My Acura could have so many problems 1000s of people complain about, but luckily for me the car has been 99% perfect and I'm glad I wasn't discouraged. My other Japanese cars were a Camry and a Maxima. 0 problems! I have owned BMWs, Mercedes, Caddys. Loved them but they all had nightmarish problems. So I am on to my Lexus and hoping for the best. So far no sign of tranny flare and I hope this is 1 of the 50% that doesn't have it. I'm not saying I'm completely safe but at least I am trying to be optimistic.

Quick Reply: ES350 for 36k