ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

How BIG is the Problem???

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-07, 07:54 PM
2007es350
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RobF350
I really dont know what to make of this to be honest with you.

I go to my dealer and there is not a line of pissed off ES owners with bad transmissions. They sold over 70k of these cars last year- I dont think there is 35,000 of them bought back and sitting in lots with transmissions that can never be fixed.

You are talking the few who come on these boards to try to find others with the same problem, meanwhile there are tens of thousands of satisfied owners out there with flawless transmissions- like myself.

My service guys should be actors, because when I mention the transmission problems to them they seem like they are hearing it for the first time.

The wind noise has to go though, thats one thing that irks me when I want to enjoy a nice quiet ride without the radio on. Im told they are working on a few things for it, but its months away.
I'm still laughing at this post! It doesn't make sense that you think that a transmission slipping is not really a problem but you really think the wind noise is an issue?!? By the same logic, my old es350 never had the wind noise, so your car must not have the wind noise either. Doh!!!! LOL!
Old 04-20-07, 08:05 PM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ES350Bob
It is without question a HUGE problem and I have noticed little attention is paid anymore to the other two chronic issues which also continue, wind noise and diesel engine noise. The transmission gets most of the foucs but dealing with any of the three is unpleasant.
OK Bob-
I have some suggestions.
I think it's time for you to change your username to something like:
HondaBob, or AccordBob......or something that identifiies you more accurately. Also, update your profile, since it still says you own an ES350. LOL
Old 04-20-07, 10:39 PM
Rollin'ES3
Lexus Test Driver

id highly recommend the Kia Amanti, full size luxury sedan, best warranty in its class, fully loaded with everything except NAV. for 30-32k its not a bad buy, im considering one for myself, looks kinda like a bently from the back and a mercedes e-class from the front, if i ever get one first thing ima do is debadge!
Old 04-20-07, 10:49 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

if I were shopping around for a new car, I'd be scared as hell to buy the Es350.
I know the percentage is a minority, and I don't have a transmission slip, but I won't be so lucky if i did it a 2nd time.

I had one loaner car slip like crazy. that thing felt rickity, like the Space Mountain ride at Disneyland,.... and gave me an idea of what mine would be like after 20k miles or so...
Old 04-21-07, 04:44 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by amf1932
OK Bob-
I have some suggestions.
I think it's time for you to change your username to something like:
HondaBob, or AccordBob......or something that identifiies you more accurately. Also, update your profile, since it still says you own an ES350. LOL

Since you were one of the first to post about and complain about wind noise in the ES350 last year, maybe instead of the above off topic response, you could have spent your energy more productively by helping one of your new members @ Lexus Owners Club where you are a moderator, which by the way, is a ghost town by comparison to the popularity of Club Lexus. Maybe it's the repeated "fun" at member expense that has it a ghost town over there.

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums...howtopic=36688
Old 04-21-07, 04:57 AM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by psp
Hi,

I've had mine for 11 months and 9500 miles. I am very happy with it.

I have a loaner ES350 today because mine is in for the 10,000 mile service. I'll never get used to oil lasting over 3000 miles. I have an April 06 build date, as does the loaner I have today. Mine is a UL black/black, this one is a gold with the cashmere interior and I think a PP (it has a rear shade). It rattles less than my car, has the same amount of road noise, has the same peppy engine, and the stereo isn't half bad for a stock system.

It has one other feature. It has the transmission flare! It flared between 3rd and 4th, about 800 RPM. It scared me too, like the feeling when you see those red lights in your rear view mirror. Thank goodness it only did it once; on the first shift from 3rd to 4th. I can now understand why you guys don't want to keep this car when it does this.

Mine does not do this. Please understand that this issue is not ubiquitous throughout the model year. Others out here do not have this issue either. That being said, I do have other issues like Mrs. Lexus ideas of how to be safe while driving, but I still like the car. But like a silk purse and a sows ear, you cannot have an LS460 for the price of an ES350. I like my ES350 and I am having a great Lexus experience.
Another example that the flare is NOT sparked by driving habbits. My loaner car flared as well, where my own unit does not.

Last edited by MD350; 04-21-07 at 05:04 AM.
Old 04-21-07, 08:01 AM
PaJaHa1
Pole Position

So after 7 months of ownership, I experienced "the flare" this morning. I was late to the train, so I gunned it out of my driveway with a cold engine. While it was a bit awkward, I'm not about to run to the dealer and complain about it. Bottom line, this Camry/ES tranny is just a P.O.S. I'll think I'll learn to live with this "problem".
Old 04-21-07, 09:14 AM
CRB
Lead Lap

I really dont know what to make of this to be honest with you.

I go to my dealer and there is not a line of pissed off ES owners with bad transmissions. They sold over 70k of these cars last year- I dont think there is 35,000 of them bought back and sitting in lots with transmissions that can never be fixed.

You are talking the few who come on these boards to try to find others with the same problem, meanwhile there are tens of thousands of satisfied owners out there with flawless transmissions- like myself.

My service guys should be actors, because when I mention the transmission problems to them they seem like they are hearing it for the first time.

The wind noise has to go though, thats one thing that irks me when I want to enjoy a nice quiet ride without the radio on. Im told they are working on a few things for it, but its months away.
Believe me when I say they are and to some extent they should be because their job is to fix cars and knowledge of the problems that a certain model may have shouldn't be dished to customers, even when they ask for it.

I remember talking about the oil sludging issue, or rather trying to talk about it, with the internet sales manager when my mom bought her RX and he was all "Really, we haven't seen any of that on this model." and "The first time a customer had brought it up." Which when you parse them are clever ways to avoid talking about the problem candidly. But when he saw our '92 Previa (he was a former Toyota salesman) and I said that CR says it had rock solid reliability, he volunteered that the lousy crash numbers, high price and lack of a six cylinder had done it in.

So they are all actors.
Old 04-21-07, 10:09 AM
Macklin
Advanced

Originally Posted by PaJaHa1
So after 7 months of ownership, I experienced "the flare" this morning. I was late to the train, so I gunned it out of my driveway with a cold engine. While it was a bit awkward, I'm not about to run to the dealer and complain about it. Bottom line, this Camry/ES tranny is just a P.O.S. I'll think I'll learn to live with this "problem".
Wow...7 months before you experienced your first. You must have instinctively known not to excellerate hard through the first shift. I had to learn it.

I find it extremely difficult to believe the Toyota engineers have not solved this problem after one year.
Old 04-21-07, 12:54 PM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by PaJaHa1
The bad ones flare during all types of acceleration. I agree, if yours just flares during hard acceleration, (and only once in 7 months) leave well enough alone.
Old 04-21-07, 04:08 PM
RobF350
Driver

Originally Posted by 2007es350
I'm still laughing at this post! It doesn't make sense that you think that a transmission slipping is not really a problem but you really think the wind noise is an issue?!? By the same logic, my old es350 never had the wind noise, so your car must not have the wind noise either. Doh!!!! LOL!
obviously you did not read the post too well.

Original question: how bad is the trans problem? Original poster says 50% off some web site said yes its a problem.

MY POST : I go to my dealer and there is not a line of pissed off ES owners with bad transmissions. They sold over 70k of these cars last year- I dont think there is 35,000 of them bought back and sitting in lots with transmissions that can never be fixed.

WHERE did I say its not an issue?
Im saying they sell a ton of cars and there is not a line of them in the service center. That I dont have the problem with the transmission BUT that the wind noise has to go.

Learn to read, I was answering the original question.

DOH !!
Old 04-21-07, 04:26 PM
onsknht
Pole Position

obviously you did not read the post too well.

Original question: how bad is the trans problem? Original poster says 50% off some web site said yes its a problem.

MY POST : I go to my dealer and there is not a line of pissed off ES owners with bad transmissions. They sold over 70k of these cars last year- I dont think there is 35,000 of them bought back and sitting in lots with transmissions that can never be fixed.

WHERE did I say its not an issue?
Im saying they sell a ton of cars and there is not a line of them in the service center. That I dont have the problem with the transmission BUT that the wind noise has to go.

Learn to read, I was answering the original question.

DOH !!
Poor ES350BOB got two of them and they were both fuggedup... Either he has real bad luck or thats further indication the numbers of transaxle issues are pretty large.
Old 04-21-07, 04:29 PM
onsknht
Pole Position

Originally Posted by MD350
The bad ones flare during all types of acceleration. I agree, if yours just flares during hard acceleration, (and only once in 7 months) leave well enough alone.
Unless you're like me... Once it happens I gotta make it keep happening. I got so good at it that it did it every day for me, on cue.
Old 04-21-07, 05:14 PM
RobF350
Driver

lets put it another way.

being generous would we say there are 10,000 Camry and ES owners as members of these websites?

Out of that lets say it is half that has a problem- so now we are at 5000?

Out of all the cars built/sold- is it a wide scale problem? I would say no.

Is it a major issue with the car? ABSOLUTELY.

I would think the average Camry and ES owner does not surf the web to talk about thier incredibly exciting Camry or ES- they are not cars for car enthusiasts, they are transportation.

Now if they DID have a problem then maybe they say "let me see if I can find more people like me", so they may end up here.

So why am I here? I know about forums, I check them out hoping to get information from others.

It may shock alot of you to know most people do not know of or frequent discussion forums of any type, let alone one for a car like the ES or Camry.
Old 04-21-07, 06:44 PM
onsknht
Pole Position

lets put it another way.

being generous would we say there are 10,000 Camry and ES owners as members of these websites?

Is it a major issue with the car? ABSOLUTELY.

I would think the average Camry and ES owner does not surf the web to talk about thier incredibly exciting Camry or ES- they are not cars for car enthusiasts, they are transportation.

Now if they DID have a problem then maybe they say "let me see if I can find more people like me", so they may end up here.

So why am I here? I know about forums, I check them out hoping to get information from others.

It may shock alot of you to know most people do not know of or frequent discussion forums of any type, let alone one for a car like the ES or Camry.
See all them smileys and BS on this web page? I've been on BBS sites since before there was all these fancy push-n-go interfaces, I know well enough the stats behind them and some of the claims made.... You cannot believe the internet. (and that's a big period at the end.) But as a casual observer, you can find trends and those are hard to ignore, because they happen over and over... For example, there's quite a few folks who fly in and out of here and other forums and gripe about a trans problem for 3-4 posts then they move on with their lives. Me, I take it a little more personally, so I continue to follow until someone explains a solid-state resolution.

So let's get back to numbers...

lets put it another way.

Being generous was nice but you failed to extrapolate your numbers against the population... Think of it this way. If there were 100,000 Camry/ES 2GR-FE + U660E vehicles made and you compare that to the 10,000 random dinks that frequent the boards... A 50/50 split on the boards is 5,000 but against the population that = 50,000+/- heaps rolling around the US.

No?

Quick Reply: How BIG is the Problem???