ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Is this a Typical Lexus dealership?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-07, 07:37 PM
Jonathann
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Is this a Typical Lexus dealership?

So I finally decided to let Lexus of Rockville Centre replace the transsmision. The slipping had almost caused numerous accidents when I was getting on the parkway. We all know a new car is never the same once the engine is ripped out and the transmission is replaced, but all I want is the working car that I am paying for. I wasn't going to make an extra trip so I planned to have the 5000 mile oil change completed the same day I brought it in. A “Lexus field tech” looked at the car that day and I was contacted by the dealership the next day. They informed me that they had ordered a new transmission and it would be replaced within four days. That brings us to yesterday, 04/10/07. I had not heard from the dealership for an entire week. Finally, today I called the dealership to find out what was going on. After leaving 3 messages I was contacted by the dealership about 5 hours later. I was told that the transmission was on back-order and would not be available until 04/27/07. How nice of them to let me know seven days later. If I hadn’t called them, the car would still be sitting there. They kindly offered to drop the car off at my home, but I declined and picked it up on my own. I verified that the oil change was completed and drove the car home. I was told they would call me and pick up the car when the new transmission was received. A few hours later I started the car and the “oil maint required” was still flashing on. I took a look at the oil and it looked pretty dirty for supposedly just having been changed. I am not even sure that the oil change was completed, but I am hoping they just forgot to turn off the notification. I reset "trip A" and turned it off myself. The one other thing that I had asked for was not completed either. I wanted the unlocking when shifted to park to be turned off, since the instructions in the manual don't seem to work. I don’t think that was too much to ask for, especially since the car was sitting in their lot for a week without being touched. I'll be sending an email to Lexus Corporate since calling them numerous times has gotten little results other than "bring the car in". Does this suprise anyone? I also must make clear that except for the defective transmission, I love the car.
Old 04-12-07, 07:57 PM
2007es350
Lead Lap

I would have left my car at the dealership until they fixed the transmission. At least here in CA, all the days the car stays at the dealership waiting for repair would count towards the days required for the CA Lemon Law. This would have given you leverage against Lexus for a courtesy buyback, because I'm sure Lexus would like to avoid formal Lemon Law buyback proceedings which costs them in terms of PR and legal fees.
Old 04-12-07, 08:15 PM
ESDragon
Driver

Jon, I went to Lexus of Rockville Centre too for my transmission flare. But they couldn't duplicate the flare so they are not doing any about it. So far I am not really impressed by the dealership. I have contacted Lexus Corp, pretty much as useless as the dealership, but I will have to wait to see if they are going to do any at this point for me. I just went to Lexus of Massasspeqa (sp?) today. I think that service dept is a little better, but they also couldn't duplicate the flare and pretty much send me on my way. Anyway, did you have to prove to Rockville Centre that you have a the flare or spike for them to actually order a tranny for you?
Old 04-12-07, 08:27 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 2007es350
I would have left my car at the dealership until they fixed the transmission. At least here in CA, all the days the car stays at the dealership waiting for repair would count towards the days required for the CA Lemon Law. This would have given you leverage against Lexus for a courtesy buyback, because I'm sure Lexus would like to avoid formal Lemon Law buyback proceedings which costs them in terms of PR and legal fees.

even if you did go the lemon route, it would only cost Lexus a couple thousand dollars in attorneys fees to settle out of court.
Old 04-12-07, 08:27 PM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know its out of the way for NY residents, but I have only the highest praises for Ray Catena where I had my ES buyback. They have two location, go for Freehold one (easy from NY, take NJ Turnpike South Exit 8 to Rt 33 and than turn to Rt 9 where they're located). Good luck!!!
Old 04-12-07, 09:41 PM
wanderer99
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jonathann - I think this is kind of normal for Lexus when they run out of parts, which I don't think happens very often.

I was put on backorder for the original valve body replacement last year as they were very popular back then. Of course, they're not popular anymore. My dealer said there was no ETA on the parts, and they'd call me whenever it came in and that was the best they could do. I escalated to Lexus customer service, who did give me a date. This date came and went, parts came in about a week after the promised date.

Transmission replacements are popular now, which is probably causing the current backorder situation. Atleast you got a date out of them!
Old 04-12-07, 10:13 PM
NGG
Pole Position

Originally Posted by wanderer99
Transmission replacements are popular now, which is probably causing the current backorder situation. Atleast you got a date out of them!
As a past ES350 owner, now an IS350 owner it is unbelievable that this situation is still not remedied. Scandalous! It just seems to go on and on and on. What is Lexus thinking? Or are they? Me thinks this is going to bite them harder than they think. It is amazing what arrogance can cause!
Old 04-12-07, 10:22 PM
2007es350
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by dunnojack
even if you did go the lemon route, it would only cost Lexus a couple thousand dollars in attorneys fees to settle out of court.

Yes, but the whole point is that Lexus likes to settle prior to losing a Lemon Law case; there is bad PR when Lexus battles Lemon Law cases. So if you help yourself by coming from a position of strength (ie building a strong case), Lexus will see this and most likely settle long before going through the motions of a Lemon Law battle.
Old 04-13-07, 11:32 AM
GNN60GT500
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would have left my car there-

why put more miles on your car- put more miles on theirs-
Old 04-13-07, 11:56 AM
mrshyvley
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GNN60GT500
I would have left my car there-

why put more miles on your car- put more miles on theirs-
I would never leave my car at a dealership any more time than absolutely necessary.
Every day it's there is just more chance that the body will be scratched or dented while it sits on their lot.
Old 04-13-07, 01:19 PM
LawrenceH
Driver School Candidate

I am considering buying an ES350 with the UL package. However, after reading this board, I am having serious second thoughts about this car and Lexus service. Whatever happens to the legendary reliability and service of this brand. Has Toyota grown too big for its own good?
Old 04-13-07, 02:47 PM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LawrenceH
I am considering buying an ES350 with the UL package. However, after reading this board, I am having serious second thoughts about this car and Lexus service. Whatever happens to the legendary reliability and service of this brand. Has Toyota grown too big for its own good?
I am afraid so.
Old 04-13-07, 08:08 PM
Jonathann
Driver School Candidate

I would have left the car at the dealership until they received the new transmission, but their lot has a ton of activity and who knows what would have happened. I found a few new scuff marks on the car when I brought it home yesterday. Also, the low air pressure alarm kept going off in the loaner RX350 they gave me, no matter how many times I filled what I thought was the low tire with air.
As far as the lemon law is concerned; if the new transmission has a single flare/slip/whatever after replacing it, I will definately pursue it. When I dropped the car off one of the service reps said “if you are not 100% satisfied, Lexus will buy it back.” I’ll believe it when I see it, but I will also give them the benefit of the doubt, even though I probably shouldn’t. They told me the transmission was going to be replaced before even taking a look at or test driving the car. After the car sat in their lot for a week they said “it’s drivable, the only problem is with the transmission slipping within the first few minutes of driving it…you can come pick it up.” I would be completely happy with 1) a working transmission in my car, 2) a trade-in for a new car with a working transmission, 3) a buyback. I’m certainly not being difficult with Lexus; I just want what’s right. Since I sent an email to Lexus Corporate I haven’t received any reply or calls from them. Since I called the service manager to inquire about whether or not the oil change was actually done, I haven’t received a callback. I think I have had the car at the dealership for a total of 12 days so far….I’ll have to read up on the Lemon Law prerequisites in NY.
Old 04-14-07, 05:47 AM
ESDragon
Driver

Jon, sounds like you have a more serious problem with the actually transmission than the flares that people here are experiencing. Do you know the build date of your vehicle? Does your car fall in the VIN# with the 3rd - 4th flare TSB that they have? Seriously, if you can get a buyback, DO IT!! I won't even want another vehicle from Lexus even though the IS and GS have none of these issues.
Old 04-15-07, 07:16 PM
Jonathann
Driver School Candidate

The build date is 09/06. I already had the 3rd to 4th TSB competed back in Dec. 06; it made the slipping/flare slightly worse as I have seen a few other people mention as well. Other than the initial large flare that occurs within the first 10 min of driving the car, i'd say it slips about every 2 days while driving normally. If the new transmission fails I will definately push for a buyback. I really like the care, but it's hard to believe that Lexus and the dealership seem to be so nonchalant about customer experience nowadays. The service manager and Lexus corporate still haven't contacted me after leaving messages 4 days ago. After dealing with them for a few months it doesn't really surprise me though..

Quick Reply: Is this a Typical Lexus dealership?