ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Is this a Typical Lexus dealership?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-07, 07:56 PM
2007es350
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good luck in your endeavors. Lexus Corp offered me the buyback option prior to installing my the replacement transmission in my car; I didn't even have to ask for the buyback option.

I did not know you already had the 3rd to 4th shift TSB performed in 12/06. You are far more patient than I am. Given their non-responsive attitude and 2nd attempt to fix the same problem, I would insist on a buyback. I wouldn't waste any more of my time chasing the dealership around.
Old 04-15-07, 08:49 PM
ESDragon
Driver

Originally Posted by Jonathann
The build date is 09/06. I already had the 3rd to 4th TSB competed back in Dec. 06; it made the slipping/flare slightly worse as I have seen a few other people mention as well. Other than the initial large flare that occurs within the first 10 min of driving the car, i'd say it slips about every 2 days while driving normally. If the new transmission fails I will definately push for a buyback. I really like the care, but it's hard to believe that Lexus and the dealership seem to be so nonchalant about customer experience nowadays. The service manager and Lexus corporate still haven't contacted me after leaving messages 4 days ago. After dealing with them for a few months it doesn't really surprise me though..
This really sucks. You already have the TSB completed and the flares are getting worse than before. I don't think changing the transmission is going to matter. It is just a faulty design, there is no way around it. I know for a fact to minimize the flaring, I have to drive extremely slow when accelerating and decelerating. By the way, the person you spoke to at Lexus Corp, is her name Amber B? If so, she totally useless. I have only spoken to her once and that is when I have to demand to speak to her. She NEVER calls me back after I leave several messages. Anyway, keep us posted on your situation.
Old 04-16-07, 12:06 AM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ESDragon
This really sucks. You already have the TSB completed and the flares are getting worse than before. I don't think changing the transmission is going to matter. It is just a faulty design, there is no way around it. I know for a fact to minimize the flaring, I have to drive extremely slow when accelerating and decelerating. By the way, the person you spoke to at Lexus Corp, is her name Amber B? If so, she totally useless. I have only spoken to her once and that is when I have to demand to speak to her. She NEVER calls me back after I leave several messages. Anyway, keep us posted on your situation.
there are different customer service reps assigned to cases like these. amber is probably one of them.
they're all like that.... you gotta ask to speak to them.

but you can't blame them. All the little peons (reps, service managers/"consultants") have their hands tied.

You gotta get legal and shoot it straight up Corp's butthole.
Old 04-28-07, 07:57 AM
Jonathann
Driver School Candidate

Default Transmission Replacement: Failed!

Hey guys
I don't have much time right now, but just a quick update...I had the transmission replaced and just picked the car up. I probably don't even need to tell you this but of course it slipped between 3rd and 4th within 5 minutes of driving it home from the dealer. I'm waiting for a callback from the service manager, but the lemon law is looking like my only option....contacting the lawyer shortly.
Old 04-28-07, 11:37 AM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hey guys
I don't have much time right now, but just a quick update...I had the transmission replaced and just picked the car up. I probably don't even need to tell you this but of course it slipped between 3rd and 4th within 5 minutes of driving it home from the dealer. I'm waiting for a callback from the service manager, but the lemon law is looking like my only option....contacting the lawyer shortly.

you guys have a good lemon law in NY right? You don't have to pay for mileage before reaching 12,000 miles?
Old 04-28-07, 07:48 PM
meadoel
Rookie

Hey guys
I'm in the same boat you are right now. Do you have a lawyer to contact? What results do you anticipate?

I wonder why there hasn't been a class action suit yet.
Old 04-28-07, 08:04 PM
mmrfr
Rookie

Folks, Had My Lexus In On Tuesday, Same Old Crap! "its A Normal Trait For The Es350". They Must Have Tried To Do Something Though Because It Now Flares More Than Ever And Hesitates Much More When Trying To Get It To Go Into "passing Gear". 5000 Miles And I Dont Think It Will Make It Another 5k. When I Got Home Tonight Their Was A Terrible Smell Coming From Under The Car, Like Something Was Burning. Anyone Have A Clue As To What This May Be?
Old 04-28-07, 08:43 PM
Jonathann
Driver School Candidate

2007es350 and ESDragon: You were both right. I've been extremely patient with both Corp and the dealership.....it's not getting me anywhere. I don't even remember who I spoke to at Lexus Corp, but it doesn't really seem to matter. I'm now writing down dates/times/every contact that I have with both the dealership and Corp.

dunnojack: To be completely honest I haven't done much research on the Lemon Law in NYS, but I am going to start looking in to it tommorow. You guys have no idea how much I just wish the transmission(s) weren't defective, because I really don't have time for constantly dealing with their BS. I've already had the car at the dealership six times.

meadoel: I do have a lawyer to contact but he is more of a family friend. I'm going to speak to him over the weekend regarding the trans fiasco. We'll see what he has to say and I'll get back with an update. I'm not anticipating much but I am giving my local dealership until monday to get back in contact with me before I call corp again. I called the service manager 2 times today and am yet to receive a callback. Typical. The car sat at the for 8 days, two weeks ago and supposedly the 5000 mile oil change was completed. I asked if the oil change was actually completed the day I picked it up and they said "yes". Turns out they did the oil change during the transmission replacement and lied to me about having initially completed it 2 weeks ago. Anyway, I too wonder why there has not yet been any class action lawsuit being that there seem to be so many of us in the same boat.

mmrfr: They haven't tried to tell me it's a normal trait yet, but thats probably because they are not even getting back in contact with me to begin with. That's the dumbest thing I have ever heard anyway...why would they even attempt to replace the transmission it was a normal trait? I drove the car for about an hour today and it slipped within 2 minutes of leaving the dealership between 3rd and 4th. It also slipped once after driving the car for 20 minutes straight and then getting of the parkway and slowing down. When I accelerated from 50 to 70mph, the car hesitated for about 3-4 seconds before downshifting and responding at all. I'm kind of numb to it by now, so I can't even tell if it's a normal trait for our transmission anymore

Good luck to all of you guys. We'll need it!

Last edited by Jonathann; 04-28-07 at 08:47 PM.
Old 04-28-07, 08:59 PM
psp
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmrfr
Folks, Had My Lexus In On Tuesday, Same Old Crap! "its A Normal Trait For The Es350". They Must Have Tried To Do Something Though Because It Now Flares More Than Ever And Hesitates Much More When Trying To Get It To Go Into "passing Gear". 5000 Miles And I Dont Think It Will Make It Another 5k. When I Got Home Tonight Their Was A Terrible Smell Coming From Under The Car, Like Something Was Burning. Anyone Have A Clue As To What This May Be?
Something burning might be oil (probably not), transmission fluid (if they spilled some trying to drain or top off, possible), brake fluid (unlikely), or plastic burning on the cats (most likely). The main sources are plastic trash bags, dry cleaner bags, and those plastic sheets they put on your seats at the dealer. Take a look under the car and see if there is anything black on that stainless steel exhaust.

Look, I have had a problem with rattles since I got this car. The tranny has been OK, no bad wind noise, some road noise from the tires that has been solved but it rattled. I took it back to the dealer at the 10K service (9500 mi really) and told them it rattled. The service adviser said, "show me". I drove him down the street over the braille on the center divider....rattle rattle rattle. I said make it stop rattling. I got the car back and it is perfect. Yes perfect. Better than the day I took delivery. They washed it, waxed it and Zymol'd the leather. They gave it back to me and I had my first "new car experience". This is why I bought a Lexus.

Morale: This is an excellent car when right. If it is not right, keep pushing your dealers service department to make it right. We owners spent lots of money, why not be happy. Also it is not normal to flare, lurch, badly hesitate or do other things not becoming to an expensive car.
Old 04-29-07, 12:10 AM
cocopops
Pole Position

Peter, sounds right you have a pretty good dealer. Mind letting me know what dealer is it? I am still months away from my 10k service, but I wanna get a good dealer that will provide me with a good service, since I am going to pay for the 10k service anyway.
Old 04-29-07, 05:27 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mmrfr

The something burning smell you mention was present in my 2nd car after a significant slip, in excess of 1,000 RPM it was a given that a noxious, burnt smell would be present.

In general: I would advise anyone with this who feels even slightly as though you are being fed BS to point out to those involved you are totally on to the well orchestrated pattern of deceit visited on Lexus owners on this issue. Too many owners have shared similar experiences being deceived or stalled out or left stuck in defects and you will NOT tolerate it, so the lies and BS need to cease.
Old 04-29-07, 09:01 AM
Jonathann
Driver School Candidate

Default Lemon

Just did some reading up on the NYS Lemon Law. Manufacturers are entitled to 4 repair attempts or 30 calendar days out of service before it qualifies under New York Law as a Lemon. Cars are covered under the New York Lemon Law for 2 years or 18,000 miles. AS long as the problem is related to Use, Value or Safety...the car qualifies. And of course it has to be the same problem over and over. Several different problems don't count, although there may be exceptions to this if there are a lot of different issues with the car.
Old 04-29-07, 10:27 AM
psp
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cocopops
Peter, sounds right you have a pretty good dealer. Mind letting me know what dealer is it? I am still months away from my 10k service, but I wanna get a good dealer that will provide me with a good service, since I am going to pay for the 10k service anyway.
Putnam in Redwood City. But note, this is the first time I have been satisfied with their work.
Old 04-29-07, 11:38 PM
cocopops
Pole Position

ack. IC. I thought you are based in So-Cal.
Old 04-30-07, 08:15 AM
Jonathann
Driver School Candidate

Just another quick update. After driving with the new transmission for 2 days, it now also slips between 2nd and 3rd as well.

Quick Reply: Is this a Typical Lexus dealership?