ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

So I have an ES 350 loaner.....

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-07, 09:08 AM
LexFather

Exclamation So I have an ES 350 loaner.....

Review to come soon. I cannot believe I am staring at an ES b/c it looks that good. Crazy. I didn't realize how big the trunk is either.
Old 04-05-07, 10:15 AM
wanderer99
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

WOW! 1sick has an ES.... we look forward to your review
Old 04-05-07, 10:29 AM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

1sick also has Tony Sopranos pic in his profile... I look forward to the *final* season to start this weekend
Old 04-05-07, 04:20 PM
RobF350
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like mine and besides that little bit of wind noise I have no problem at all with it or its tranmission or squeeky rear carpet.

The debby downers make this a depressing place to hang out lately!
Old 04-05-07, 05:36 PM
LexFather

Okay so far this car is utterly superior to the any previous ES in driving experience. Excuse me for driving the snot outta the car, I know its not built for that, but I just took my GS to the track Monday so I wanted to see what it can do.

When I tell yall I am shocked at how well this car handles in comparison to the previous ES, its not even funny. This ES does not wallow and nose dive as bad as the previous version and IMO, does well for being an ES! I took it on the same roads I drive aggresively on and it more than held its own, never did I feel out of control.

The one thing (and typical Lexus) was the steering feel, I felt detached from the road and the steering wheel just felt weird, like it wasn't even connected. So while the car handled well, the steering input was awful. Again, I doubt anyone has driven the ES like I did today lol

Keyless entry, I love it. I went to Subway (on this whole eating healthy kick) and its nice to just walk up and open the door with my food and drink in hand. No more digging for my keys in my pants or putting the drink in the cupholder.

Sitting in the car, it FEELS bigger than the last ES. I love the detailed gauges. The dash felt the usual Lexus familar but IMO, I still prefer the look of the previous model with the wood going across the entire dash. I see chrome tidbits everywhere, *****, etc like the last model.

I sat in the backseat, I did feel wider and roomier but my head hit the ceiling and I am pretty sure the last ES had more headroom. (I am 6"5 so my head hits most cars in back).
Old 04-05-07, 05:41 PM
LexFather

I can only imagine with some better tires, the new ES would handle even better.

As for the power, clearly this car is fast. I find myself at 70mph very easily. The 3.5 engine has tons of power, the car never feels slow. I did experience torque steer but ONLY when taking a corner and hitting the gas and talk about a yucky feeling. I doubt most people do that so it should not be a problem.

Tranny

Ahh, the devil lol!! I know many want to hear about it so hear it is. I wasn't completely comfortable with it. It did shift very smooth every time but a couple times, the car was figuring out what I was trying to do and IMO picked the wrong gear to be in.

Also I do remember a "flare" one time. Is that what yall call it? It wouldn't drive me crazy but it seems the tranny kinda reved up a little in the same gear? No biggie to me but I can see how those that own it may not like it.

I felt the shiftgate move too. This is a build thing, not a tranny thing and I could shake the plastic around the shifter. This is a LOANER so there is a chance it might have gotten beaten up. But it only had 6,000 miles on it.
Old 04-05-07, 05:45 PM
LexFather

Windnoise is non existent, quiet as any Lexus. I feel the stock sound system is better than the last ES stock sound system. Controls and everything were easy to find. The redwood is very nice and maybe there is less wood b/c the car looks sportier?

Ahh looks, I took a pic of my 1992 2ES and this car together. Its incredible how the ES has evolved. Its also much bigger. So big, I took a pic next to the GS and it dwarfs that car as well.

Like many new styled cars, the window sill is very high, so its a lil uncomfortable hanging your arm out the window unless u move the seat all the way up.

But goodness, this is a beautiful sedan to look at. Lexus hit a home run with the styling.

Overall, I can clearly see how they continue to sell 70k of these a year and it is Lexus best selling sedan. For the MONEY, it offers IMO pretty much pure luxury. You don't feel short changed. Fabulous car.
Old 04-05-07, 05:45 PM
LexFather

More to come later!!
Old 04-05-07, 05:48 PM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I can only imagine with some better tires, the new ES would handle even better.

As for the power, clearly this car is fast. I find myself at 70mph very easily. The 3.5 engine has tons of power, the car never feels slow. I did experience torque steer but ONLY when taking a corner and hitting the gas and talk about a yucky feeling. I doubt most people do that so it should not be a problem.

Tranny

Ahh, the devil lol!! I know many want to hear about it so hear it is. I wasn't completely comfortable with it. It did shift very smooth every time but a couple times, the car was figuring out what I was trying to do and IMO picked the wrong gear to be in.

Also I do remember a "flare" one time. Is that what yall call it? It wouldn't drive me crazy but it seems the tranny kinda reved up a little in the same gear? No biggie to me but I can see how those that own it may not like it.

I felt the shiftgate move too. This is a build thing, not a tranny thing and I could shake the plastic around the shifter. This is a LOANER so there is a chance it might have gotten beaten up. But it only had 6,000 miles on it.

Do you know the build month? From what you desribe, near as I can tell, the trans searching you are talking about and finding the wrong gear is what we describe as hesitation, some are more bothered than I about it but it seems you are talking about that.

The trans flare as near daily thing is as you described as to view an owner would hold in not liking it.

What did you think of the telescoping steering wheel and did you need some adjustment for visibility out the back window or when backing out other than you are in a car that is not your usual?
Old 04-05-07, 05:54 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by ES350Bob
Do you know the build month? From what you desribe, near as I can tell, the trans searching you are talking about and finding the wrong gear is what we describe as hesitation, some are more bothered than I about it but it seems you are talking about that.

The trans flare as near daily thing is as you described as to view an owner would hold in not liking it.

What did you think of the telescoping steering wheel and did you need some adjustment for visibility out the back window or when backing out other than you are in a car that is not your usual?
I can post the VIN and u can find out about the build month.

I was surprised by the telescoping wheel in the ES, previous ES cars never had it but used to it in my GS and old SC. Rearview was no issue, I reversed the car between some bushes to take the pic of the ES's together with no issues. The "dumbo" sideview mirrors are good to, I liked them in the IS and LS as well.
Old 04-06-07, 08:24 AM
RobF350
Driver

I think the tranmission is typical of 6 speed computerized transmissions.
The old days of a cable operating a downshift mechanism in the tranmissions gave you that kick in the butt feeling, I have yet to feel a new transmission that gives the same response.
But the masses yelled for smoother transmissions during normal driving, and to be honest when driving normal the shifts are almost un-detectable.

I think the car is a superb car that you can buy for less then $35 k, sure if you load the snot out of it you are north of 40k and then maybe you expect a little more.

I for one do not need a semi-transparent roof and softer seats.
Old 04-07-07, 12:40 PM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RobF350
I think the tranmission is typical of 6 speed computerized transmissions.
The old days of a cable operating a downshift mechanism in the tranmissions gave you that kick in the butt feeling, I have yet to feel a new transmission that gives the same response.
But the masses yelled for smoother transmissions during normal driving, and to be honest when driving normal the shifts are almost un-detectable.

I think the car is a superb car that you can buy for less then $35 k, sure if you load the snot out of it you are north of 40k and then maybe you expect a little more.

I for one do not need a semi-transparent roof and softer seats.
I am interested to know if anyone has driven the new 6 speed auto tranny in the Saturn Aura or Pontiac G6 GTP? It is new for the 2007 model year, and is paired up with a 3.6 V6. Wonder how that tranny behaves??
Old 04-07-07, 02:18 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

sweet review 1sick, I drive my ES350 just as hard as my Maxima and I think the ES has a smoother trans, I've yet to see any kind of flare
Old 04-08-07, 05:34 AM
Macklin
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1Sick, thanks for your interesting, but of course somewhat biased, review!

I think you are dead-on, especially about the steering. This has come to be one of my biggest dislikes. Otherwise the car is an absolute joy to drive. I still look forward to reaching for the door handle each morning.

This car blows away my 98 ES. I do wish they could figure out the fly by wire thingy though.

Actually my biggest gripe is the fact that traffic is so bad around here I rarely get to enjoy the power this car has to offer. But next weekend I am off to the Outer Banks for a boys retreat. I'm driving this year!

Last edited by Macklin; 04-08-07 at 05:40 AM.