ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

ES350 Has Best In Class Reliability

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-07, 09:32 AM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jjbodean
i think its a case of some bad trans out there and some very disgruntled vocal few who post on message boards. i would absolutely put stock in both the CR surveys as well as JD Power as reliable sources of info.

are there some bad trans out there? yes.

is the es350 a steaming hunk of crap like many of the posters in this forum make it out to be? absolutely not.
I think what is upsetting everyone is not the car, but how they are being treated by Lexus, the service departments, and the fact their there is no fix.

The car is great, I don't think it is crap by any means. But, I don't want to be treated as if I am an idiot when I go into service. I know when there is something wrong with my car, and I don't need a service advisor to tell me any different.
Old 04-05-07, 10:27 AM
wanderer99
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jjbodean
i think its a case of some bad trans out there and some very disgruntled vocal few who post on message boards. i would absolutely put stock in both the CR surveys as well as JD Power as reliable sources of info.

are there some bad trans out there? yes.

is the es350 a steaming hunk of crap like many of the posters in this forum make it out to be? absolutely not.
JJ - I hear you. I think we're just coming at this from different perspectives here.

Me - actual ES350 owner for almost a year. Drive it everyday. Get to visit my Lexus service dept all the time. Car is broken, can't be fixed. Fixes that do come don't work. Get to spend time - and 25,000kms - with broken vehicle. Woohoo!!!

You - don't own ES350. Get so sell ES350. Get to make more-than-usual money selling ES350 as they're HOT right now. Work for a company that sells the ES350 and make money doing it, so you're not going to come here and 'rag' on the car. Woohoo!!!

Different people, different experiences, different perspectives. The ES350 is something I own. The ES350 is something you sell.

I'm dealing with a vendor at my workplace that currently has a broken product. Their head is in the sand as well saying "there is nothing wrong with our product" which is just totally wrong. I guess at least Lexus has been bringing their heads out of the sand periodically to buy back ES350 vehicles.
Old 04-05-07, 12:52 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

consumer reports is half bulls***. half the stuff in there can't be trusted.

What is their methodology for testing reliability of cars?

reliability of new products is pretty much a given. They only start to break down a year or more after purchase. And by that time, the specific product isn't even mentioned in the magazine anymore.

Lexus has been riding on their heritage. CR is reporting based on that heritage.

I'm curious, did CR ever report on the transmission hesitation of the last gen ES?
Did CR report on the rattlebox that was the 2006 GS300?
Old 04-05-07, 05:08 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by dunnojack
consumer reports is half bulls***. half the stuff in there can't be trusted.

What is their methodology for testing reliability of cars?

reliability of new products is pretty much a given. They only start to break down a year or more after purchase. And by that time, the specific product isn't even mentioned in the magazine anymore.

Lexus has been riding on their heritage. CR is reporting based on that heritage.

I'm curious, did CR ever report on the transmission hesitation of the last gen ES?
Did CR report on the rattlebox that was the 2006 GS300?
For model years '02-'05 CR rated the transmission in the ES as "average". All of the other areas they rate on the car for those model years, "were better than average" or "much better than average".
Old 04-05-07, 11:25 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
For model years '02-'05 CR rated the transmission in the ES as "average". All of the other areas they rate on the car for those model years, "were better than average" or "much better than average".

Well I guess I have to eat my words then.
At least they were honest about those years.

Maybe we'll see ratings changes in next year's issue.
Old 04-06-07, 02:35 AM
GUJIGUJI
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I Don't Really Give A Damn About How Those Reports Say About My Cars. I Have Had An Acura Tsx For 4 Years And I Had No Major Problem With It At All. Now I Am Having The Es350 For A Few Weeks And I Am 100% Satisfied So Far.
Old 04-06-07, 04:02 AM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

GUJI, I think the only problem you are having is with your keyboard where every word gets capitalized
Old 04-07-07, 05:15 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by dunnojack
Well I guess I have to eat my words then.
At least they were honest about those years.

Maybe we'll see ratings changes in next year's issue.

CR Annual Auto Issue April 07

02--Better than average transmission

03--Better than average transmission

04--Average transmission

05--Worse than average transmission

06--Much better than average transmission
Old 04-07-07, 10:40 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Default A bit skewed sometimes...

Sometimes, when a few people scream negative stuff, you can't hear the thousands of people that are quiet and content about it...

It's natural. Thousands of people with no problems don't post "I have no problem." However, when hundreds of people do have problems, they post it online, tell everyone about it, and try to say that it's global.
Old 04-07-07, 02:37 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Sometimes, when a few people scream negative stuff, you can't hear the thousands of people that are quiet and content about it...

It's natural. Thousands of people with no problems don't post "I have no problem." However, when hundreds of people do have problems, they post it online, tell everyone about it, and try to say that it's global.
Like the old saying goes, when you're happy with something, you tell 1 person, when you're unhappy, you tell 10 people.