ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

ES350 Has Best In Class Reliability

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-07, 07:00 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by W. David
That's not even close to the truth bud....it's hard for me to comment on the current ES's problems, however it's common knowledge that the majority of people posting on the types of sites that you scoured for negative feedback, are doing so out of frustration, and with the belief that it will truly affect someone elses purchase decision. .
Club Lexus, among many things, is also a consumer generated, digital version of consumer reporting.

Here you get it faster and in far greater detail than CR could ever hope to duplicate and directly from the consumer, not third party as CR is limited.

Even auto manufacturers now rely on internet auto forums for data on their vehicles and make changes as a result and they would not rely on them if they were simply disgruntled folks.
Old 04-05-07, 07:02 AM
jerfitz
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

I see that the Lincoln Zephyr is in second place as shown in SWO7ES's Consumer Report's attachment. It may be that American cars are catching up?

JerFitz
Old 04-05-07, 07:05 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by jerfitz
I see that the Lincoln Zephyr is in second place as shown in your atachment. It may be that American cars are catching up?

JerFitz
Good point. CR, as well as other publications give it high marks.
Old 04-05-07, 07:11 AM
SW07ES
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have a look at the actual written reviews of the Honda Accord:
http://tinyurl.com/24v5ph

Alot of Accord owners say the car has a: "stiff ride" "stiff seats" "road noise" = fatigue on long road trips. With the ES350, the engine is silent at speed, the ride is absorbent and road noise subdued.
Old 04-05-07, 07:13 AM
ESDragon
Driver

Originally Posted by SW07ES
ES350 scores as high as the Honda Accord in Customer Satisfaction in Yahoo Auto's survey
Funny that you use Yahoo Reviews. Just look at the first 10 - 15 reviews, all targeting the faulty transmission problem, high wind and engine noises. I was extremely happy and proud when I drove my ES to work a couple of weeks ago. My work buddies were mesmerize by all the cool "toys" it has. Now 2 weeks later, I am embarass to let them know that my car is in the dealership trying to prove that it has a transmission problem. My advice is to STAY AWAY from the ES. I hate to discourage everyone, but no way I am going to recommend this model to anyone.
Old 04-05-07, 07:13 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Good point. CR, as well as other publications give it high marks.

Odd though CR seems unaware they are comparing an 06 Lincoln among 07 models, no?

The 07 Lincoln is the MKZ, not Zephyr.
Old 04-05-07, 07:16 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW07ES
Have a look at the actual written reviews of the Honda Accord:
http://tinyurl.com/24v5ph

Alot of Accord owners say the car has a: "stiff ride" "stiff seats" "road noise" = fatigue on long road trips. With the ES350, the engine is silent at speed, the ride is absorbent and road noise subdued.
SWO...,

You just made my point, when you do not have transmissions etc. to focus on, you then focus on all kinds of other stuff.

We see it here too, no major problems so the minor items get focused on, like control location and the like.

I think that is simply human nature.
Old 04-05-07, 07:20 AM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Putting everything aside, and I mean everything. Can't we all agree that the ES350 does have a transmission issue and Lexus does not have a fix. Correct?

When you talk about bumpy rides, hard seats, controls, etc...that is all SUBJECTIVE. Everyone has a right to their opinion.

Here, we have a car that has a transmission issue and Lexus does not have a fix.

Last edited by MD350; 04-05-07 at 07:25 AM.
Old 04-05-07, 07:24 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by ES350Bob
Odd though CR seems unaware they are comparing an 06 Lincoln among 07 models, no?

The 07 Lincoln is the MKZ, not Zephyr.
To quote CR from their '07 Cars edition, "the Lincoln Zephyr, now called the MKZ, had a sterling first year in reliability".
Old 04-05-07, 08:30 AM
ESDragon
Driver

Originally Posted by MD350

Here, we have a car that has a transmission issue and Lexus does not have a fix.
Amen to that!! Other issues like rattles and wind noise are not my major concern. Well, I hate the location of the control wheels for the heated/ventilated seats, but I am not going to complain about that.
Old 04-05-07, 08:39 AM
wanderer99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by W. David
That's not even close to the truth bud....it's hard for me to comment on the current ES's problems, however it's common knowledge that the majority of people posting on the types of sites that you scoured for negative feedback, are doing so out of frustration, and with the belief that it will truly affect someone elses purchase decision. Think about it, If someone loves their car, there's no need to go post about it all over the net is there? On the other hand, if you've had nothing but problems, you are clearly going to be upset, and would like nothing more than to take something back from the manufacturer (so to speak). With that in mind, the internet is the most easily accessed means of doing so....so it should be pretty damn clear as to why you came up with all of those negative reviews.

The CR's are the most relied on product studies in the industry (typically affecting roughly 40% of car buyers), and I'm sure they didn't they didn't gain this reputation by publishing a bunch of crap. Everyone knows that Lexus builds some of the most reliable cars in the world, and I have no doubt that the ES 350 will live up to these standards as well.
I'm curious why you think this. How do we get the perception that Lexus vehicles are reliable, bulletproof and have no problems? You say we can't rely on Internet forums for this information, so that source is out.

So what is left? Flowery, loving reviews of the ES350 by the car magazines and the online press? Lexus's marketing material saying how great the car is? Consumer Reports 'survey'? JD Power initial quality survey?

I say that Internet forums are the best source - bar none - of what a car is really like. You don't have some paid reviewer spending two days in a car and rendering a verdict. You have owners that own the car for years making comments on what its really like. JD Power won't give you that. CR is trying to give you that... but making a guestimate based on the old ES data. Lexus marketing material definitely won't tell you about the trans issues.

We know that Lexus salespeople are telling customers (as posted on this board many times) that the ES is fine... or that the trans issues are now resolved... or don't believe the Internet forums as those people all lie. I don't think so.
Old 04-05-07, 09:09 AM
LexFather

As I have stated since day 1, sadly there are owners with problems, but they are a very very small percentage. Lexus cannot build enough ES 350s to keep up with demand.
Old 04-05-07, 09:12 AM
jjbodean
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by wanderer99
We know that Lexus salespeople are telling customers (as posted on this board many times) that the ES is fine... or that the trans issues are now resolved... or don't believe the Internet forums as those people all lie. I don't think so.
i think its a case of some bad trans out there and some very disgruntled vocal few who post on message boards. i would absolutely put stock in both the CR surveys as well as JD Power as reliable sources of info.

are there some bad trans out there? yes.

is the es350 a steaming hunk of crap like many of the posters in this forum make it out to be? absolutely not.
Old 04-05-07, 09:18 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by jjbodean
i think its a case of some bad trans out there and some very disgruntled vocal few who post on message boards. i would absolutely put stock in both the CR surveys as well as JD Power as reliable sources of info.

are there some bad trans out there? yes.

is the es350 a steaming hunk of crap like many of the posters in this forum make it out to be? absolutely not.
Say word (that means I agree)
Old 04-05-07, 09:29 AM
jjbodean
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Say word (that means I agree)
i'm down with it

Quick Reply: ES350 Has Best In Class Reliability