ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Inside temperature

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-07, 10:29 PM
NoiseFree
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Inside temperature

Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but after reading the manual and looking at the front dash panel I can't anything that will indicate the current temperature inside the car.

I can see the outside temperature, but I can't see the inside temperature.
I can set the inside temperature using the controls, but that doesn't tell me what the temperature actually is.

What gives? A hidden feature? A non-existant feature?
A unwritten guarantee on behalf of Lexus that within 5 minutes, the inside temperature will always be the same as what the setting is on the dash???
Old 04-03-07, 10:41 PM
2007es350
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just curious....what other car shows you the actual temperature inside the car?
Old 04-03-07, 11:23 PM
NoiseFree
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by 2007es350
just curious....what other car shows you the actual temperature inside the car?
I haven't a clue actually.

But I just thought if this car is smart enough to detect objects behind the rear bumper, assist you in parallel parking, remember your favorite seat and steering wheel positions, automatically detect outside pollutants and adjust airflow accordingly, etc. etc. that it was smart enough to detect the inside air temperature. But I guess it's not.

You know that mode button you hit when you're going through the various Gas mileage/outside temp thingie? Why not have it so that when you're looking at the outside temp, you can hit something at see the inside temp too?

When I'm inside my home and look at my thermostat it shows me the current inside temp by default, not the temp that I programmed it to be.
I know I know, a car is not a home right?
Old 04-04-07, 01:05 AM
2thfixr
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by NoiseFree
I haven't a clue actually.

But I just thought if this car is smart enough to detect objects behind the rear bumper, assist you in parallel parking, remember your favorite seat and steering wheel positions, automatically detect outside pollutants and adjust airflow accordingly, etc. etc. that it was smart enough to detect the inside air temperature. But I guess it's not.

You know that mode button you hit when you're going through the various Gas mileage/outside temp thingie? Why not have it so that when you're looking at the outside temp, you can hit something at see the inside temp too?

When I'm inside my home and look at my thermostat it shows me the current inside temp by default, not the temp that I programmed it to be.
I know I know, a car is not a home right?
Way too many variables for a small volume of space that has so many windows. I bet that if you took a thermometer and placed it in 50 places throughout the car, you would get 50 different readings based on the time of day, position of the sun, fan speed, recirc or fresh air setting, proximity to window, proximity to metal etc etc. Do like Ron Popeil says, "Set it and forget it."
Old 04-04-07, 01:18 AM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

There was a similar discussion in one of our Lexus cars years ago. Suffice to say, they don't tell you---but the A/C gauge will adjust to whatever temperature you set it to. Funny indeed how the advanced cars decided to leave this out.

Similarly, the body temperature sensors on the LS 460 L with special packages don't tell you your body temperature, but they do monitor and measure your body heat, and do adjust based on that number...just don't ask what the number is.
Old 04-06-07, 07:24 PM
NoiseFree
Pit Crew

So I'm driving my 350 today on a short trip to the next town and I start thinking about the temp thing again.

Well I don't have a fancy NAV to play with and don't mess around much with my stereo, so what else can I do?

Anyways, I'm staring at that inside temp setting of 21C (over here in the Great White North we're a little backwards like Europe and most of the rest of the world with degrees centigrade).
I see 21C and just a few inches to the right I see another 21C.
Two 21C settings. WTF!

What a waste! That second 21C should show the REAL temperature inside the car, or vice versa!

How many 350 owners set their side of the car for 72F and the other side for 68F or 70F ??? Or 21C and 19C or whatever?

It's like trying to contain smoke to one side of the car!
Old 04-07-07, 08:17 PM
wishihad1
Rookie

yeah 21 and 19 not much, but 29 and 19 would be, as of right now the car can't read our minds, and we have had guests actually say the can feel a difference between 27 and 25. as long as you set the climate control to auto, when the fan goes to the lowest setting is roughly the temp in the car.
Old 04-07-07, 11:00 PM
NoiseFree
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by wishihad1
yeah 21 and 19 not much, but 29 and 19 would be, as of right now the car can't read our minds, and we have had guests actually say the can feel a difference between 27 and 25. as long as you set the climate control to auto, when the fan goes to the lowest setting is roughly the temp in the car.
Do you mean you can actually have one side of the car at a temp close to 29 and the other side at 19?
I'm sure your guests could feel the difference between 27 and 25, but my point is that you can probably obtain the same difference in temps by simply closing off the air vents on one side of the car! So cool/warm air flows out on only the one side.
Old 04-08-07, 05:22 AM
Macklin
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Actually, my wife very much likes being able to control the temp on HER side of the car. When she is happy, I'm happy!
Old 04-08-07, 05:35 AM
static
Driver

Originally Posted by Macklin
Actually, my wife very much likes being able to control the temp on HER side of the car. When she is happy, I'm happy!
Same here!

As soon as a passenger touches the temp setting, it switches to dual mode.
Old 04-08-07, 02:23 PM
Lex13
Rookie

Originally Posted by Macklin
AMEN!!! My wife can warm up HER side and be comfortable without affecting me. I don't know how it works, but it works and that's good enough for us.
Old 04-08-07, 04:03 PM
osokuko
Pole Position

I like to set my side to 72 I like it cool, she like it warm 76 were happy but I have no idea what the people in the back are feeling.
Old 04-08-07, 08:09 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The dual zone climate control is used a lot in this household.
Old 04-08-07, 10:11 PM
NoiseFree
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by enigma888
The dual zone climate control is used a lot in this household.

I wonder how much of it is psychological and how much is real?

Has anyone studied physics and determined how much of a temperature difference is possible in such a small area? Has anyone taken a thermometer to confirm the readings?

And why hasn't Lexus implemented climate control for the back passangers, are they second class citizens? Or would that be too complicated to implement?
Old 04-09-07, 05:51 AM
PsychDoc
Lead Lap

WHAT???

You want an "inside" temperature read out? Have you ever heard of a little something they call "climate control?" It's pretty simple really, just set it and forget it.

Dual zone foolishness is just that. A pure, unadulterated psychological gimmick only relevant to those who consume snake oil as a cure for cancer. You have an interior space about the size of a small closet and the gullible among us actually believe that you can heat or cool one side diffrerentially over the other for more than about 2 seconds?

For those so inclined I have shares in a very lovely bridge going to Brooklyn that I'd like to talk to you about buying.

;-)

Quick Reply: Inside temperature