ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Enabling the NAV system features when driving

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-07, 07:11 AM
static
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone had issues come up during Lexus service with the 2 hacks (hybrid dvd and the wiring change).

Having the 15k service done next week and I'm wondering if I should put the original DVD back in. Does it matter?
Old 05-25-07, 02:26 PM
lamanmi
Driver School Candidate

I have done the wiring change and just brought in for 10k service. The switch is on the lower part of the triangle cover by the driver's right knee. not a word from them, i suspect they didn't even see it. To be honest, unless they are specifically looking at a problem with the nav itself, i doubt they would ever notice. in fact, I suspect that even if they replaced the head unit, they could miss it if you did a neat wiring job.
Old 06-02-07, 07:17 AM
jerfitz
Pole Position

Here is a very helpful post I found in the GS 3rd Generation forum. It is another way to get a version 5.1/6.1 Hybrid disk to be recognised and load properly. Go to...

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...61252#poststop
Old 07-13-07, 03:58 AM
ES350lexus
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jerfitz
HOW TO ENABLE THE GRAYED OUT NAV SYSTEM FEATURES WHEN DRIVING

We have a 2007 ES350 and I really was upset because the NAV system was “almost” unusable when driving. Who wants to stop so your wife can enter a new address into the NAV system while I am driving…yuk! Also, the voice commands do NOT work very well! This “non invasive” fix will allow using all the NAV system features when driving.

On the ES350 the NAV DVD is immediately below the NAV screen. You will see a plastic cover strip with LEXUS written on it in gold letters. You just lift/push this up and pull out very gently from the bottom of this plastic cover strip. It will come off easy. Use your fingernails so you don't scratch anything. Once it's off you will see the slot where the NAV DVD resides in its "super secret" location.

To eject the DVD in your Lexus and press the start button once so the car is on ACC (don’t start it). Press the MENU button to the right of the screen. Touch “Map DVD” in the upper right corner of the screen. Touch DVD in lower left corner of the screen so the current DVD will be ejected.

With that said, I have already read all of SonarTech's posts on the GS Lexus Owners Forum on how to fix the Version 6.1 NAV maps DVD that came with the 2007 ES350 by modifying the DVD only. No removal of the NAV head-unit itself and no wire cutting. If you’re interested here is a detailed description on how to do it.

I burned a dozen disks learning so here goes. Not all DVD media works. The DVD that I know works is: Memorex DVD+R DL (Double Layer) 8.5 Gbytes, 240 min, 2.4X. Do not use Dual Layer. Dual Layer is a DVD-R, don’t use it. I mention this because these Double Layer DVDs cost $1.80 plus each so no need to waste them.

Not all burners that can burn double layer DVDs work. For example my D: CD drive and my external Memorex Double Layer 16X DVD + - RAM 510L v1 would NOT burn this NAV DVD correctly. Finally, I bought a Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-K14RA (the K15RA works too) for my laptop’s D drive because my wife’s laptop had that specific burner and it burned a workable double layer NAV DVD. This Pioneer model works. The only other burner that I know of that works is a NEC ND-3540A. If yours will not work using the above media you’ll have to buy a new burner or use a friend's double layer burner.

The NAV disk that came with my 2007 ES350 is a Generation 5 black colored DVD and it says U31 D on it. Next put this Version 6.1 disk in you your burner and drag and drop the all the folders and files into a new folder on your PCs fixed disk. It may take 40 plus minutes because you’re moving approximately 7.3 Gbytes. Make sure ALL the folders and ALL the files are copied to your PC, count ‘em. One of my failed disks was because one file was not moved over.

Next you must already have the file LOADING.KWI 46,956,000 bytes from the Version 5.1 NAV DVD. The Version 5.1 DVD is black and has U30 D on it. You will have to buy a copy of this disk if you do not already own one. In order to make a legal hybrid disk for your personal use you must own both the U31 D and the U30 D DVDs.

Here is when you will remove the Version 6.1 LOADING.KWI file (71,684,000 bytes) from the folder on your PCs fixed disk and replace it with the LOADING.KWI file (46,956,000 bytes) from the Version 5.1 DVD. Yeah, it’s a few fewer bytes but so far I have noticed NO problems or loss of features using the version 5.1 instead of the Version 6.1 loading file. On the other hand, if I encounter serious problems in the future I’ll just reinstall the original Version 6.1 disk that came with my 2007 ES350. So far, using the Version 5.1 loading file, we can enter addresses, POIs, and all those other NAV features that used to be grayed out when driving. It’s Great!!!

I used Sonic System's Roxio Easy Media Creator 9 to burn the DVD. Sorry, I do not know how to do this using NERO. Start Roxio 9 and choose DATA and then DATA DISK. Use the Roxio command ADD DATA to move the folders and the files from the folder on your PCs fixed disk to Roxio. I first added the folders and then the files. Double check they were all added. Check that you removed the V6.1 and in its place have the V 5.1 loading file (LOADING.KWI). Now choose OPTIONS (lower right corner) and use the following:

TYPE: Track at Once (TAO), Open

Mode: Mode 1

File System: ISO+Joliet (106 character file names)

Choose the BUTTON that says, “I only need to use disks for one recordng, etc.”

Checkmark, Verify data written to the disk after burning.

Click on OK to go back one screen.

Look at the lower left corner to see if the DVD symbol says, “Estimate 7.3 MBs plus or minus.” This tells you that the burner expects a double layer DVD.

Last but not least, try to notice when it starts whether it is burning at 2.4X which is the Memorex DVD media speed. It will be so don't worry.

Finally, click on the BURN symbol in the lower right corner and go get a coffee, lunch, and dinner because it takes an hour to burn and verify a 7.3 Gbyte double layer DVD.

Once you have the new DVD go to your Lexus and try it. To install it first disconnect the negative battery cable for 5-7 minutes. This is supposed to erase the NAV system memory and loading loading file or whatever. Actually I don’t have a clue what this does but I was told to do it this way and it worked for me. Reconnect the battery cable.

Remember at this point the original Ver 6.1 NAV DVD may not be in the NAV system DVD reader but if it is eject it by pressing the start button once so the car is on ACC (don’t start it). Press the MENU button to the right of the screen. Touch “Map DVD” in the upper right corner of the screen. Touch DVD in lower left corner of the screen so the current DVD will ejected.

Next insert the newly burned V5.1/V6.1 hybrid DVD. On mine I had to push the DVD in a bit, very gently, so the DVD changer would finish pulling it in.

BEWARE: you’ll probably get a screen that says to see your dealer and some Japanese characters below it but be patient. The loading will start within 20 to 40 seconds and your heart will again start beating at its normal rhythm. If it flat out says CAN’T READ DISK, the disk probably did not copy properly but wait another minute or so anyhow.

Here is a very helpful post I found in the Lexus GS 3rd Generation forum. It is another way to get new version 5.1/6.1 Hybrid disk that you burned to be recognised and load properly. The writer of this post tried multiple times to get the NAV system to recognize the Hybrid DVD and load it, but to no avail. He kept getting the "insert the correct DVD" message so he tried the following. He put the original 5.1 DVD in and it loaded the software fine. He then ejected the original 5.1 DVD and inserted the new 5.1/6.1 Hybrid DVD and it recognized it so he now has the Hybrid version 5.1 KWI loading file and the version 6.1 data files. For all of those who have tried burning a Hybrid DVD and failed to get it to load properly, give it another try using this procedure.

After it's loaded here is how to UNLOCK the navigation system features. The following can be done either when you’re parked or when the car is moving so you do NOT have to do this before starting to drive.

To enable all the NAV system functions that were grayed out because the car is moving do the following:

Press the MENU button to the right of screen.
Touch VOLUME at top center of screen.
Touch Upper Left Corner of screen.
Touch Lower Left Corner of screen.
Do it again…
Touch Upper Left Corner of screen.
Touch Lower Left Corner of screen.
A service menu will appear.
The bars are black but turn turquoise when you touch any bar.
Touch and hold the OVERRIDE bar until you hear a beep (about 6-8 seconds).
When you lift you finger from that bar it will turn BLUE, you’re done.
Touch the Upper Right Corner of the screen to close the service menu.
Then press the MAP (voice) button to go back to the NAV map.

You can now enter addresses, POIs, and so forth when the car is moving and you also have the latest Version 6.1 maps, POIs, and so forth.

If you turn the engine off you must do this again but remember you never have to stop because you can do this while the car is moving. In fact I don't UNLOCK the Nav systems features every time I drive because I seldom use the NAV system in my own city neighboorhood area.

One other point, my mentor SonarTech gave me all the info I needed to burn the hybrid disk and, as the above states, I used Sonic System's Roxio Easy Media Creator 9 to burn the hybrid DVD. On the other hand, SonarTech used a French software package called "Prassi ONES". To see his description on using Prassi ONES to burn a hybrid DVD disk go to:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/show...42447#poststop

To see a review of Prasi ONES go to:

http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/Revi...rticleId=11098

To download Prassi ONES go to:

http://www.videohelp.com/tools/Prassi_ONES
Does this hybrid DVD makes the phone gray out to work as well?
Old 07-13-07, 09:43 AM
jerfitz
Pole Position

No, the hybrid disk does NOT make the phone gray out work. To get the phone to work when driving you will have to cut wires so go to SonarTechs detailed HOW TO:

Enabling access to the Music Folders, Phone Dialing, Calendar and Maintenance Menus while Driving the Lexus ES-350.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=276775

I already did this mod and it works flawlessly. I love it!
Old 07-17-07, 11:23 PM
daudbros
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help Wanted Gs300 2007

IT SEEMS ME UNABLE TO ACTIVATE VOICE RECOGN. WHEN PRESSING BUTTON ON THE WHEEL IT SAY VOICE RECOGN. IS CANCELLED..ON ANY SCREEN AND HELP BUTTON IS GREY NOT ACTIVE WHILE ON THE PHONE MENU....PLEASE ASSIST..REGARDS

Last edited by daudbros; 07-17-07 at 11:34 PM. Reason: additional comments
Old 08-10-07, 09:34 PM
Bronsteen
Driver School Candidate

Default Is 250

Will this hack work with the 2007 IS 250?

Thanks
Old 10-14-07, 11:27 PM
GRFE350ES
Driver School Candidate

THANKS to Jerfitz's explanation (at the very top of this thread), my lexusES350(2007)withHybridDVD(5.1+6.1) works excellent!!!!

I just had to waste some blank dvd's until I finally burned a good one.
I used Philips SPD2410L1 drive & VerbatimDVD+R DL8.5Gb8X and ONEStrialVersion2.1.358English
Do Not use NERO7essential software (I wasted 4 dvd's.....lexus GPS will not detect the dvd after burning it with Nero.)

I think the software is more important than drives or blank dvd's brand names.

I also did not forget to detach Lexus' Battery(-) for 5 minutes.

Thank you Jerfitz & Sonartech
Old 11-08-07, 09:39 PM
ecount00
Lexus Test Driver

For your informaion there already has been one person who has successfully burned a hybrid DVD using the 5.1 loading file and the latest 7.1 maps.

Great information! I decided to go for it and skipped 6.1 and bought 7.1. My 06 GS300 came with 5.1. How can i find out more about whoever has successfully done this with 7.1? Am close. yet far. the system will read my hybrid maps and i get the override screen, get route guidance for POI when selected from category but am having trouble with actually having the system take direct addresses etc. Fortunately when i put my 5.1 dvd back in the system works fine or i'd really be stressed but Help! seems to be something in the way i'm burning the dvd but have carefully followed instructions and made sure i copied every file (but only 1 loading file)

Last edited by ecount00; 11-09-07 at 05:43 AM.
Old 11-10-07, 04:08 PM
Georg
Driver School Candidate

Does anyone know ...
On the 2007 ES350 ... WHICH fuse to pull (in the engine fuse box or the driver's side panel ) ? I would really like to avoid losing all sorts of settings and options (when pulling the battery) ... Is there one (or more) fuses to pull to force the NAV to re-load the firmware from the hybrid DVD ?
TIA.
Old 11-13-07, 10:12 AM
ecount00
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Georg
Does anyone know ...
On the 2007 ES350 ... WHICH fuse to pull (in the engine fuse box or the driver's side panel ) ? I would really like to avoid losing all sorts of settings and options (when pulling the battery) ... Is there one (or more) fuses to pull to force the NAV to re-load the firmware from the hybrid DVD ?
TIA.
Can't speak to ES directly but on my GS, the fuse box had a plastic cover that showed what each fuse was for by location in the box. If you haven't already looked, do that. The fuse marked TV was the Nav head fuse for me. And you are right, by pulling the fuse I didn't lose anything but to cause the nav to reboot next time. radio and satellite presets etc all stayed.
Old 11-14-07, 10:14 AM
Georg
Driver School Candidate

On the 2007 ES350 the labels for the fuses are inconclusive, and there is no fuse labelled "TV" or similar. However ... in the meantime I went the (less preferred) route of removing the negative battery cable for 15 minutes. After re-connecting and pressing START (without engine start) the older (5.1) firmware from the Hybrid disk loaded as predicted. And then everything worked as advertised ! Thanks, SonarTech and others !

I used a Memorex DVD+R DL disk and burned with a USB connected LG External Super Multi DVD ReWriter (Model GAS-E10L) using Prassi ONES software (with VERIFY). A prior attempt using Nero Express resulted in a failed verification stage (several sectors did not successfully verify (same burner and disk type)).

While in over-ride mode (and driving the car !) I ejected the hybrid DVD and inserted the factory supplied DVD. As expected, the system recognized the newer firmware and the message "The system is loading, DO NOT POWER OFF THE VEHICLE" ( I wasn't going to do that while driving along !) ... came on, and within a minute or so I was back to the original no-over-ride function.

Happy trails ... and thanks again, SonarTech !
Old 11-22-07, 05:37 PM
triom
Driver School Candidate

BEWARE: you’ll probably get a screen that says to see your dealer and some Japanese characters below it but be patient. The loading will start within 20 to 40 seconds and your heart will again start beating at its normal rhythm. If it flat out says CAN’T READ DISK, the disk probably did not copy properly but wait another minute or so anyhow.
Well, here's my problem.. I inserted my Hybrid disk and I get the screen that says "A program cannot be read. Please consult to a dealer." along with the Japanese characters.

I can't figure out how to get the DVD out so that I can try again.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Update: Thanks to this thread (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=277929), I found out how to force eject the DVD (press the upper right corner and then the lower right corner of the Nav screen).

Last edited by triom; 11-23-07 at 11:32 AM.
Old 01-21-08, 06:21 PM
2008IS350
Driver School Candidate

Default Hybrid disk fails..how do I eject it?

I made a hybrid disk and put it into my 2008 IS350. Got the Screen with the Japanese...never loaded. How do I eject since I can't get the menu to pull up?
Old 01-22-08, 02:52 PM
jerfitz
Pole Position

This is the normal way with the ES350...

To eject the DVD in your Lexus and press the start button once so the car is on ACC (don’t start it). Press the MENU button to the right of the screen. Touch “Map DVD” in the upper right corner of the screen. Touch DVD in lower left corner of the screen so the current DVD will be ejected.

But, check your manual I seem to remember an emerency method in the ES350 manual.

Quick Reply: Enabling the NAV system features when driving