ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Enabling the NAV system features when driving

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-12, 10:37 PM
n4khan
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi: I just bought my first Lexus and signed up for this forum. Great to see so many helpful members!

i just bought a 2007 ES 350 Ultra Luxury package. i didnt know much about the navigation system and it seems i got ripped by the dealer. i followed the first post in this thread and opened my MAP DVD chamber just to find out there is "NO" DVD at all in there.

I guess my option is to buy a DVD and install it from scratch. My questions are:

1. which version should i ideally buy? From where? any idea how much would it cost. I have a small budget to play with here.
2. Do i need any special instruction to install the DVD?
3. DVD Movie works only when the car is parked with parking brake pushed down. Any workaround?

Thanks in advance!
Old 09-24-12, 07:57 PM
kopper12
Driver School Candidate

could I unlock my screen on my GS 350 without nav?
Old 09-25-12, 11:20 AM
JerryM
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

n4khan, this website should help you find the right disk:

http://www.lexusnavigation.com/what_to_order.php

I had a co-worker find a Nav disc for his Camry online for under $100. It was printed and looked just like an official DVD, but my spidey sense told me it was a fake. Either way, the disc worked (and still works) like an original.
Old 01-31-13, 12:33 PM
ThumperPup
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 60 Posts

I just got my E350 2007 model home and i tried this procedure
it is not working for me
Press the MENU button to the right of screen.
Touch VOLUME at top center of screen.
Touch Upper Left Corner of screen.
Touch Lower Left Corner of screen.
Do it again…
A service menu will appear.
The bars are black but turn turquoise when you touch any bar.
Touch and hold the OVERRIDE bar until you hear a beep (about 6-8 seconds).
When you lift you finger from that bar it will turn BLUE, you’re done.
Touch the Upper Right Corner of the screen to close the service menu.
Then press the MAP (voice) button to go back to the NAV map.

i press the Menue then touch the volume at center of screen then i go to touch rop left corner bottom left corner and then repeat nothing happens

am i supposed to hold my finger on the screan longer or do i just do short press
its not getting me to any menu options like not going to the service menue will appear the bars are black not is not opening

Last edited by ThumperPup; 02-01-13 at 03:42 PM.
Old 02-01-13, 04:26 PM
ThumperPup
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 60 Posts
Default navigation owners manual ?

is there a seprate manual for the navigation system ?
i am having trouble
with operating it i mean i got the phone figured out

but i can't figure out how to change the stored home address in the home poi

any help with this please
also is there a online PDF file i can get for the Manual ?

i fallowed it just like in this youtube video of the perosn doing this
is it because i have a differnet nav unit shouldnt the 07 work the same no matter what car its in ?

Last edited by ThumperPup; 02-01-13 at 04:29 PM.
Old 03-26-13, 05:33 PM
CorbyCorb
Driver School Candidate

Default Nav ES350 2011

How about a 2011 ES 350 Nav system?

Originally Posted by ThumperPup
it is not working for me
Do it again…

i press the Menue then touch the volume at center of screen then i go to touch rop left corner bottom left corner and then repeat nothing happens

am i supposed to hold my finger on the screan longer or do i just do short press
its not getting me to any menu options like not going to the service menue will appear the bars are black not is not opening
Old 08-09-13, 07:29 AM
andym0097
Driver School Candidate

You can eliminate the having to push the" I agree" by upgrading to the next model year disc.
To the origional poster......."you have WAY to much time on your hands!
Old 02-17-14, 11:30 AM
Stroud109
Driver School Candidate

I understand that you maybe feel a bit put out that Lexus has made a choice to limit the amount of time spent fixating on the navigation screen, but there is a built in solution that requires ZERO "cutting, hacking, heat shrinking, etc" on the factory wiring.

Please visit my thread with an open mind and save yourself Time, Effort, and Warranty...besides typing all the data in on the touch screen keyboard is miserably slow and inefficient compared to just telling the Navigation lady built into the car where you want to go!

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es3...is-moving.html
Old 02-17-14, 11:41 AM
Stroud109
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by CorbyCorb
How about a 2011 ES 350 Nav system?
Corby, the 2011 Navigation system is much more advanced than the version ThumperPup is mentioning and the same operation won't work on yours...Please just press the little face on your steering wheel and try to voice commands...they work brilliantly and require ZERO cutting or pressing an odd series of buttons each time you get in the car.

Push the Face on your screen...wait for the BEEP...then give your command for example of: ADDRESS (this simple command will begin a dialog with the car) She will in return ask you questions such as "Which State", then "Which City", then "Which Street" and finally "The House Number" in single digits.

Take 5 minutes and learn the commands and you don't ever have to interact with the touch screen again! Dude, that's how the Flintstones entered data in their cars
Old 02-17-14, 11:45 AM
Stroud109
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ThumperPup
it is not working for me
Do it again…

Thumper, you have a Generation 5 navigation system and the operation you followed "only" worked on Generation 4. You can ADD, EDIT or DELETE the current registered HOME etc, under MENU / MY PLACES...then on the left side of the screen you'll see HOME listed...click that then choose whatever makes sense. Let me know if you have further trouble.
Old 02-17-14, 11:49 AM
Stroud109
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by michaeljf
Anyone figure out how to disable the Nav (and other features) lockout in the newer models, like 2012 ES-350? Apparently the current problem is that the newer models use a flash or harddrive rather than a disk. If I recall correctly other manufacturers systems can be disabled electrically. Any thoughts on that possibility here?

Any chance someone has the wiring diagram for the 2012 radio/nav system? .
You don't "need" to disable that...don't waste all your time pecking all that stuff onto your screen while your parked or moving...it's a waste of your time.

Press the face on the steering wheel and after she BEEPS, you verbally reply ADDRESS...then she asks you specific questions concerning STATE...CITY etc.
Old 02-17-14, 12:14 PM
Stroud109
Driver School Candidate

I've read post after post here...so many stickies and so much dismay over a "grayed out navigation entry screen". There is a built in solution that requires ZERO owner alteration!

I'll post one "voice command" solution and if I receive a positive response I'll post more...My way is VASTLY more efficient than typing all that junk on the screen whether youre moving OR stationary!

Press the Face on the wheel...she gives a brief commercial of options, then BEEPS. After the BEEP, you reply the simple word "ADDRESS"...That begins a dialog between you and the car and She asks You questions.

She asks you which STATE...you BEEP and reply CALIFORNIA (or whichever), she asks which CITY...you BEEP and reply LOS ANGELES (or whichever), she asks you which STREET...you BEEP and reply ELM (or whichever)...she asks for the house number in single digits...you BEEP and reply 1234 (or whichever).

If it is originally set to the wrong STATE, then at the appropriate time you reply CHANGE STATE...

Guys and Gals, this is SO ultra simple and requires ZERO modification to your wiring...your DVD map player or whatever other kinds of voodoo is being suggested, just ask and I will help you with a solution!
Old 04-06-15, 05:58 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,206 Likes on 956 Posts

Originally Posted by n4khan
Hi: I just bought my first Lexus and signed up for this forum. Great to see so many helpful members!

i just bought a 2007 ES 350 Ultra Luxury package. i didnt know much about the navigation system and it seems i got ripped by the dealer. i followed the first post in this thread and opened my MAP DVD chamber just to find out there is "NO" DVD at all in there.

I guess my option is to buy a DVD and install it from scratch. My questions are:

1. which version should i ideally buy? From where? any idea how much would it cost. I have a small budget to play with here.
2. Do i need any special instruction to install the DVD?
3. DVD Movie works only when the car is parked with parking brake pushed down. Any workaround?

Thanks in advance!
I updated my ES350 DVD. I'd consider selling you the original DVD. It's U33 Ver.08.1, it covers Canada. $40 US via paypal intl. shipping incl.
Old 07-11-19, 04:04 PM
dsandrews2
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Jerfitz that is the most complex procedure I have ever encountered.
Old 10-30-21, 01:58 PM
SailorTPD
Intermediate

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Stroud109
You don't "need" to disable that...don't waste all your time pecking all that stuff onto your screen while your parked or moving...it's a waste of your time.

Press the face on the steering wheel and after she BEEPS, you verbally reply ADDRESS...then she asks you specific questions concerning STATE...CITY etc.
Well, the 2008 ES350 voice system is garbage. We've owned the car since new and stopped using the nav or voice system for the past decade since--as in your example, we say "california" it says back, "nevada" or "arizona". It does work OK if you type in the address while parked, but the voice system is garbage for navigation in this car. Got a new RCF (2021) and it is better, but not by much (at least it has a voice tutorial to train it to recognize you). I don't think Lexus has a good handle on how people talk. Nice cars, lousy electronics.