ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

My first flare

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-07, 06:04 AM
ESDragon
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy My first flare

Heading to work this morning, I was driving stop and go traffic and all of a sudden at 2k rpm in jump for a split second. I couldn't replicate this flare again. The car has a little over 200 miles and the build date is 02/07. Oh well, I am still going to be positive about this since I know no car is perfect. I had my share of transmission problems with my previous Acura. Give me some love, guys...
Old 03-22-07, 06:17 AM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ESDragon
Heading to work this morning, I was driving stop and go traffic and all of a sudden at 2k rpm in jump for a split second. I couldn't replicate this flare again. The car has a little over 200 miles and the build date is 02/07. Oh well, I am still going to be positive about this since I know no car is perfect. I had my share of transmission problems with my previous Acura. Give me some love, guys...
Sorry to hear that. Yes, that is typical. It happens once and that is it until it is cold again. Seems there is still no fix if yours was built in 2/07. Enjoy the car for now, until Lexus comes out with a final TSIB to fix this once and for all!!
Old 03-22-07, 06:22 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It is not the end of the world, though certainly is an unpleasant experience in a brand new car for sure.

That's why I told you to take the wife's cousin off the Holiday shopping list for the BS he fed her on supposedly only the early builds.

There are plenty of people on here who will offer support and encouragement to you, so at least you have that as a PLUS in dealing with this issue.
Old 03-22-07, 08:56 AM
2007es350
Lead Lap

Sorry to hear of your slipping transmission. Like others have said....unfortunately, this is NOT unusual. I'm sure you can search and read through the multiple posts of the transmission issues with the es350.

It seems like even the new builds of 2/07 still have the transmission problem...er... feature. This confirms what Lexus Corp has told me that a replacement car would still have this "feature".

If I were you, I would bring your car into the dealer and let them confirm the cold start transmission flare/slip. Since your car only has 200 miles, I would get their diagnostic in writing. This will give you leverage if you want to pursue a buyback further down the road. If you wait for the diagnostic until you rack up the miles, Lexus might be less inclined to give you a refund.
Old 03-22-07, 08:57 AM
Paulm
Driver School Candidate

Default Tranny flare - what's the big deal?

I too have experienced the flare, at least 3-4 times with my 350 UL (Jul '06 build). The symptoms are 100% as described - only occurrs during cold operation (within the first few minutes of driving), and only when I push the car a bit (which I usually don't - I like the driving feel and smoothness from slower/ gradual acceleration). Also, it has only happened a few times after having driven it in city traffic conditions over 8,000 KM (almost 5,000 miles).

I can't seem to understand why sooo many here have apparently written-off (or completely trash-talked) the 350 for this very minor issue. It seems to me that only a VERY small few have experienced this in a more severe way, which would definitely warrant attention, but I'd guess that most owners wouldn't even notice this kind of a bug. From my perspective, the flare has been so infrequent and subtle that if I hadn't read about the issue on these forums, I'd probably be one of those owners completely unware of it.

My suggestion to you would be to enjoy your car for the ton of awesome things it offers and don't pay attention to the flare unless it REALLY becomes an issue (ie: a frequent or regular occurrence that bothers you). I still believe this is one of the best cars on the market in its class and price range, and it is a car that I would definitely recommend to others. I hope you have fun driving your 350 - I know I do!
Old 03-22-07, 09:18 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Paulm
I too have experienced the flare, at least 3-4 times with my 350 UL (Jul '06 build). The symptoms are 100% as described - only occurrs during cold operation (within the first few minutes of driving), and only when I push the car a bit (which I usually don't - I like the driving feel and smoothness from slower/ gradual acceleration). Also, it has only happened a few times after having driven it in city traffic conditions over 8,000 KM (almost 5,000 miles).

I can't seem to understand why sooo many here have apparently written-off (or completely trash-talked) the 350 for this very minor issue. It seems to me that only a VERY small few have experienced this in a more severe way, which would definitely warrant attention, but I'd guess that most owners wouldn't even notice this kind of a bug. From my perspective, the flare has been so infrequent and subtle that if I hadn't read about the issue on these forums, I'd probably be one of those owners completely unware of it.

My suggestion to you would be to enjoy your car for the ton of awesome things it offers and don't pay attention to the flare unless it REALLY becomes an issue (ie: a frequent or regular occurrence that bothers you). I still believe this is one of the best cars on the market in its class and price range, and it is a car that I would definitely recommend to others. I hope you have fun driving your 350 - I know I do!
Any level of transmission slipping, which is what is occuring, in a brand new car is not what people paid for, particularly the damge that is part of the process over time not covered in an extended warranty offered, compromise to tolerate a defect while others are absent this defect is just that compromise.
Old 03-22-07, 09:55 AM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From your discription, you don't have the flare that the others discribe. This happens almost daily and happens on hard and light throttles. I have driven both a car with no flare (mine) and two loaners with the flare. Believe me, if you had it, you would not tolerate it!! It feels like you pushed the clutch in on a manual transmission during acceleration. The RPM's shoot up and your momentum halts. It is a slip of the tranny.

Your car is a twin of mine. 7/06 build UL TP/Black. I have the twin sister!! Continue to enjoy it
Old 03-22-07, 10:05 AM
onsknht
Pole Position

^^^^DITTOS^^^^

I buy NEW cars so that I can break them, not have them broken when I get them... The transmission slipping is 100% unacceptable, especially considering my very first car ($300 beater) never once slipped. I would have been upset if it had and since it was only $300 when I got it "new," I guess you get my point when you add another 00.00 to the end of the original $300 to get $30,000.00 +
Old 03-22-07, 11:28 AM
ESDragon
Driver

Thank you guys for your insight on this. I took it for a little drive during lunch and it runs perfect. It is a shame that this is still an issue, I love everything on this car. Hopefully, they will have find a permanent fix for this problem soon. In the meantime, I will keep my head high and enjoy my new ride.
Old 03-22-07, 12:34 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

definitely note this transmission BONUS feature with your dealership, in the event there is a class action lawsuit 8 years later, as with the toyota v6 engine sludge issue recently.

toyota will pay eventually. Consumers will not let toyota get away with it. For now, enjoy the car, and hope the once-a-day slip doesn't lead to transmission failure.

on another note,

I can't seem to understand why sooo many here have apparently written-off (or completely trash-talked) the 350 for this very minor issue. It seems to me that only a VERY small few have experienced this in a more severe way, which would definitely warrant attention, but I'd guess that most owners wouldn't even notice this kind of a bug.
.... i spoke with a local lemon attorney here in socal, and he has a "surprising" handful of lexus es350 and toyota camry transmission cases on his hands. He has not had this many toyota cases in recent years. So i wouldn't say that only a very small fraction notice this defect. They just don't use the internet to vocalize their concern.
Old 03-22-07, 05:57 PM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Well, maybe the reason why you can't understand because indeed you don't have a real flare, something you can sync your watch with every single morning in cold/warm start when tach jumps 2k rpms. Regarding "VERY small few", I just write this off to your first post in here so you probably didn't have a chance to read the forum starting from all original messages we did back in last July/August. The sad statistics: there has been over 1k of buybacks (and now this number will never go up) and close to 10k of confirmed tranny flares (this one will go up). Of course, based on the number of sold ES350 models, this is very insignificant LOL!!!
Old 03-22-07, 08:53 PM
osokuko
Pole Position

Sorry this has happen to you, I know how much you wanted it to go well. But in a way your luckier than me! Picked up my new 01/07 build ES the night of 2-27-07 with 8 miles on it. The next morning with 25 miles on it, it "F l a r e d". I think I hold the fastest flare record on the planet.
Old 03-22-07, 09:12 PM
osokuko
Pole Position

Originally Posted by twister
Well, maybe the reason why you can't understand because indeed you don't have a real flare, something you can sync your watch with every single morning in cold/warm start when tach jumps 2k rpms. Regarding "VERY small few", I just write this off to your first post in here so you probably didn't have a chance to read the forum starting from all original messages we did back in last July/August. The sad statistics: there has been over 1k of buybacks (and now this number will never go up) and close to 10k of confirmed tranny flares (this one will go up). Of course, based on the number of sold ES350 models, this is very insignificant LOL!!!

Oh yeah, I remember those days you lucky “Rat” Lol, you were the first one to get out but you did A-O-K. I would have been not that far behind you if my stupid car didn’t wait forever to flare later at 1488 miles.
Old 03-22-07, 11:05 PM
wanderer99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by osokuko
Sorry this has happen to you, I know how much you wanted it to go well. But in a way your luckier than me! Picked up my new 01/07 build ES the night of 2-27-07 with 8 miles on it. The next morning with 25 miles on it, it "F l a r e d". I think I hold the fastest flare record on the planet.
Hi osokuko. If I remember correctly this is your second car with the flare, correct? I think Lexus did the buyback on your first car with the busted trans. This just makes my head spin.

Yes - you do have the fastest "I took my car from the dealership and now it flares" so far. You do hold that record.

The record of "I bought my car, test drove it at the dealership and it flared, then returned it before I officially left the dealership" award is still held by Kingofire though.
Old 03-22-07, 11:22 PM
2007es350
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by wanderer99
Hi osokuko. If I remember correctly this is your second car with the flare, correct? I think Lexus did the buyback on your first car with the busted trans. This just makes my head spin.

Yes - you do have the fastest "I took my car from the dealership and now it flares" so far. You do hold that record.

The record of "I bought my car, test drove it at the dealership and it flared, then returned it before I officially left the dealership" award is still held by Kingofire though.
I think Kingofire is the luckiest one here...he didn't go through the hassle of buying the es350 and then have to go through the buyback process to get his refund.

In my case, it is ironic that Lexus Corp has already issued a check for my buyback on the es350 but my replacement lexus is still on order. So I have requested that they let me keep driving my es350 for another 3-4 weeks until my new car arrives.

Quick Reply: My first flare