ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Horsepower boost

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-07, 06:31 PM
onsknht
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dunnojack
before you know it, we'll see 306hp fwd toyos.

speaking of hp, the 272hp feels really weak after driving the new infiniti g35. I don't know if it's due to the drive-by-wire. The g35 has tons of kick, and is about as quiet as the current ES.
Toyota screwed the pooch on the on the ES/Camry in the "***" department... I'm beginning to thing the lowly 258HP in my current ride will whomp the 3.5 in certain conditions.... Specifically the 40 to 60MPH pass.

The U660E is THAT bad.
Old 03-23-07, 08:52 AM
toneman
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by onsknht
162 for the Clamry.... Why are you ES guys getting ripped off?

Nobody knows the speed rating of their tires?

FWIW - TL shuts off at 150, a big disappointment IMO.
The factory Michelins (on my ES) are 92V...meaning they're capable of sustaining a maximum speed of 149 mph. Makes sense, given the ES's max speed of 137...IOW, H-rated tires would not be appropriate for it.

If the Camry's max speed is indeed 162 mph, I would think that the speed rating of the Camry's factory tires needs to be Z-rated since theoretically it would otherwise not be safe to run V-rated tires on a car that is capable of hitting such speeds; is this indeed the case?

I'm a bit skeptical of the "claimed" (by who--Toyota? Some auto magazine?) 162 mph limit of the Camry, since--and I'm saying this based on the assumption that the max displayed speed on the V6 Camry speedo is the same as that of the ES--the ES speedo's max speed display on the speedo is 160...
Old 03-23-07, 12:49 PM
onsknht
Pole Position

Originally Posted by toneman
The factory Michelins (on my ES) are 92V...meaning they're capable of sustaining a maximum speed of 149 mph. Makes sense, given the ES's max speed of 137...IOW, H-rated tires would not be appropriate for it.

If the Camry's max speed is indeed 162 mph, I would think that the speed rating of the Camry's factory tires needs to be Z-rated since theoretically it would otherwise not be safe to run V-rated tires on a car that is capable of hitting such speeds; is this indeed the case?

I'm a bit skeptical of the "claimed" (by who--Toyota? Some auto magazine?) 162 mph limit of the Camry, since--and I'm saying this based on the assumption that the max displayed speed on the V6 Camry speedo is the same as that of the ES--the ES speedo's max speed display on the speedo is 160...
I've found 162 published by a few auto rags... It was months ago I searched and more than one came up with that number, but oddly enough, here's what C&D states...

C/D TEST RESULTS:
Zero to 60 mph: 5.8 sec
Zero to 100 mph: 14.5 sec
Zero to 130 mph: 31.0 sec
Street start, 5–60 mph: 6.1 sec
Standing ¼-mile: 14.3 sec @ 99 mph
Top speed (governor limited): 145 mph
Braking, 70–0 mph: 170 ft
Roadholding, 300-ft-dia skidpad: 0.81 g

Again, I think the different trim levels may have different governed speeds... C&D tested the XLE not the SE and the SE has a special underbody aero package to increase stability at high speeds. My speedo clearly wound up past 145MPH and I never felt any hint the car hit a governor. The SE has H rated tires, but it wouldn't be the first time an mfg put subpar tires on a "capable" car... Not everyone will try to test those limits. I'm beginning to think there is indeed a difference between the LE & XLE and the SE for governed speed.
Old 03-24-07, 09:11 AM
toneman
Lead Lap

onsknht--FWIW I wasn't disputing that you were able to get your Camry to go faster than 145 mph; I was just questioning the (not "your") claim that the V6 Camry had a 162 mph speed limiter. If indeed certain Camrys have such a high limiter...I find it interesting that Toyota can't trust us w/ inputting nav/phone-related stuff while driving, even at slow speeds...yet apparently think that we're capable enough to pilot a vehicle at such high--and illegal--speeds.
Old 03-24-07, 05:42 PM
NoiseFree
Intermediate

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by onsknht

C/D TEST RESULTS:
Zero to 60 mph: 5.8 sec
Zero to 100 mph: 14.5 sec
Was that a typo?
seems completely out of line.
Old 03-24-07, 07:37 PM
Pheonix
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I do this this tho - It makes no sense at all to mod a brand new car (especially a FWD near luxury/family car) that's under warranty to gain more performance. You'd void the warranty and then have people starting a thread about their dealer who won't replace their blown engine under warranty.
There is no voided warranty by modifying the engine, or drivetrain.
The only time the warranty is voided is when your modifications expressly, and directly cause a mechanical failure. It's not the rule of thumb, is Federal Government warranty law.
Originally Posted by dunnojack
before you know it, we'll see 306hp fwd toyos.

speaking of hp, the 272hp feels really weak after driving the new infiniti g35. I don't know if it's due to the drive-by-wire. The g35 has tons of kick, and is about as quiet as the current ES.
The G35 also ahs a bet set of gearboxes, wider tires, and another 30 horsepower.

Yall are also forgetting that it's the Camry SE, which has (since 1994) had an unmarked option for a different final drive ratio, among other minor changes.

Originally Posted by NoiseFree
Was that a typo?
seems completely out of line.
Because you're undoubtibly not accustom to driving at any descently non-legal speed. Aerodynamic drag increases more than exponentually at speed.
The ES350 looses:
18.27bhp @ 70mph
53.26bhp @ 100mph
117.01bhp @ 130mph
218.14bhp @ 160mph
Old 03-24-07, 07:53 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

The only time the warranty is voided is when your modifications expressly, and directly cause a mechanical failure. It's not the rule of thumb, is Federal Government warranty law.

Let me know how that works out for you, when you take your modified engine and/or drivetrain, with a mechanical failure, into the dealership for warranty work.
Old 03-25-07, 05:31 AM
onsknht
Pole Position

^^^ It's the Magnuson Moss Act (I mighta spelled that worng?) ^^^

Pheonix is right on the drag issue... this is why when they put a turbonormalizer or a bigger engine in an aircraft (like a C182) the plane only gets a few knots more speed at best... In the case of a turbonormalizer, the plane gets a lot more speed at higher altitude because it couldn't really fly there previously, but at lower levels like 2500ft ASL, very little speed increase because of the drag.

Tony, sorry not being defensive, I'm just confused, I thought all internals were the same? Whatever the case, the diff between Nav and the Speed Governor is the Nav can be used while driving legally... Get into an accident as a result of the Nav while driving in the confines of the speed limit and all other laws --->>> Toyota is liable. Get into an accident at 162 MPH on any road in the US and you were braking the law --->>> Toyota is not liable, just as they aren't liable for you wrecking the car when drunk. My only explaination for the differences in the speed governor is a "package thing" on the SE timed with the introduction of the Camry in NASCAR... It's that little "ringer" Toyota added to get some "street cred" and it's on their "hot body."
Old 03-25-07, 01:01 PM
Pheonix
Lexus Champion

Cool

If you say turbonormalizer one more time I'm going to hit you with something.
It's a run of the mill turbocharger that has it's wastegate pinned to hold boost at seal level. It's a completely idiotic term, and really just a completely stupid idea. If you're going to run FI, then run FI. Don't stop at sea level atmosphere where the system won't even pay for it's own weight.

AFA isntallation in a car, there is no point. @ WOT your engine get's under 5 in/hg of vaccuum from ambient pressure.
fyi it takes over 27.xx in/hg to = 1psi. So you can see there is very, very little differance you'd be gaining. About the differance from going from a stock air filter to a bull**** K&N filter.

The internals partaining what to what? The engine is identical, the transmission is identical. The final drive ratio in the differential can be different.
I think it's acedemic anyway... Toyota hasn't made a Camry/ES/Avalon since 1991 that couldn't creep to 135-140mph in good mechanical condition.

For just some quick math, I would esimate the ES to be able to do 144 in a somewhat timely fashion, and creep up to around a 149mph terminal velocity. I do not believe higher than that is possible given any track length through the automatic. Pulling the 6200rpm peak horsepower the car would be doing 185mph in 5th, 219mph in 6th. Not gunna happen. 165mph would be about 4650rpm in 6th (never going to happen). @ 5500rpm the engine has about 260bhp, 5500rpm in 5th is about 165mph. The problem is 260bhp is not NEARLY enough power to pull that fast. You'd bearly pull 150mhp at all @ that power levels.

So I'ma just put down 150mph maximum speed for the 3.5L Camry platform right now bone stock in my opinion. It's too far of a stretch to believe faster for me.

I forgot who it was! Very good, it is the Magnuson Moss Act.
Old 03-25-07, 01:02 PM
Pheonix
Lexus Champion

Cool

Originally Posted by LexBob2

Let me know how that works out for you, when you take your modified engine and/or drivetrain, with a mechanical failure, into the dealership for warranty work.
don't be a smartass when you don't know what you're takling about.
Old 03-25-07, 01:10 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Pheonix
don't be a smartass when you don't know what you're takling about.
I wasn't trying to be one. I was just saying you'd be taking a BIG risk to expect a dealer to honor your new car warranty if you modified the engine or drivetrain and had a problem. That much I do know. Personally I wouldn't be willing to take that risk on a $35K-$45K new car. Maybe you would, but not me.

Last edited by LexBob2; 03-25-07 at 01:43 PM.
Old 03-25-07, 05:46 PM
Pheonix
Lexus Champion

Cool

It's federal ****ing law son... There is no risk.

Don't run a 300 dry shot on an OEM engine.
Old 03-25-07, 06:14 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 164 Likes on 140 Posts

I knew someone who did very close to a 300 dry shot in his otherwise OEM performance Corvette in Monterrey, Mexico with those nice shiny rims and all decked out...talk about a car getting drunk.

Oh yeah, the moral of the story, never try to push your car back down the track unless you are truly out of gas.
Old 03-25-07, 06:14 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

And if the modification(s) caused the failure?
Old 03-26-07, 11:01 AM
Pheonix
Lexus Champion

Cool

I'd love for you to dream up a modification that would cause a failure...

Quick Reply: Horsepower boost