ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

My ES350 loaner

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-07, 07:11 AM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cip
First for LexBob2- your experience is still along the lines of the majority, wouldn't you agree ES350Bob?

I just have a hard time with any manufacturer that attempts to fix / diagnose problems then when they can't fix them just calls it 'normal characteristic'.
One thing I wonder about re: the engine noise when it's cold.... the compression ratio of that engine is 10.8:1 and is only requiring regular (87 octane) gas. Isn't that kind of low? I mean I know electronics have come far these days (heck the IS350 has 11.8:1 CR !!), but my car is 10.4:1 & reuires premium. Can I put in mid-grade? yes, but when I have I can occasionally hear pinging.
Has anyone put in higher octane & have the noise go away?
That's one of the problems working with these complex ECM's; when a hardware component is not functioning correctly, the software can come in & compensate effectively masking the problem.
I think Toyota would be better off acknowledging the issues & say they are working on it. Treat the customers right & you keep the customers!!
AGREE 100%
Old 03-16-07, 07:18 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cip
First for LexBob2- your experience is still along the lines of the majority, wouldn't you agree ES350Bob?
By technicality I would agree a majority may be having a better experience, the question is what constitutes that majority, I'd say a slim majority. I would also say there are many owners experiencing one or more issues but as you said even just one, like engine tapping noise is enough, could be viewed as enough of a serious problem for them, for some the wind noise is so bad or so annoying just wind noise is enough and the transmission is really annoying in it's variations of experience when it is hosed up.

Given there are several possible issues to have, that's the problem from my perspective.

Usually when any automaker has a model release I think you usually only hear of one main issue that involved that model.

But when you have 3 significant issues that can really bother a buyer you amplify the number who are actually bothered or worse.

With the ES, if it was just transmission issue, you could comfortably say look at all those in the majority with problem free cars, but add wind noise as another issue variable that people are left stuck with and forced to accept except in rare cases where a dealer takes independent initiative where Lexus deems it normal, and then add the engine knocking tapping as yet another variable forced to accept, and you have too many variables going into the production of these for there not to one HUGE number of problem vehicles out there.

I reluctantly add rattles as a 4th variable as some experience one heck of a time getting those resolved too though they do not bother me to degree they do others.
Old 03-16-07, 11:52 AM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I am now on my 4th loaner car.

this one is the biggest rattle box of them all, with just 5500 miles on it. It has a nasty rattle inside the A pillar.

There's wind noise, no doubt. But there's so much road noise that the wind noise is almost insignificant.

This loaner has the same rear glass rattle, though softer sounding, and the service consultant suggested that it might be clips along the windshield. If this is prevalent, expect lexus to put out a tsb on it.
Old 03-16-07, 12:12 PM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by dunnojack
I am now on my 4th loaner car.

this one is the biggest rattle box of them all, with just 5500 miles on it. It has a nasty rattle inside the A pillar.

There's wind noise, no doubt. But there's so much road noise that the wind noise is almost insignificant.

This loaner has the same rear glass rattle, though softer sounding, and the service consultant suggested that it might be clips along the windshield. If this is prevalent, expect lexus to put out a tsb on it.
Found out today that the tire inflation monitor part is on back order. Part has to come from Japan. Should have it by month end. Will keep you updated. Seems many of these cars have the rattle.
Old 03-16-07, 12:38 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MD350
Found out today that the tire inflation monitor part is on back order. Part has to come from Japan. Should have it by month end. Will keep you updated. Seems many of these cars have the rattle.
speaking of japan, i looked at the window sticker, and 95% of the parts come from japan.

What comprises the other 5%?
I know the speakers are made in china But that's only 0.1%.
Old 03-16-07, 07:49 PM
lextech7
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok Im Sure By Now You Know There Is A Few Tsb's For Rattles,
Nv008-06 ,nv005-06 And A Transmission Tsb Tc001-07. Drive Loaner Es350's All The Time The Only Wind Noise A Hear Is The Roadblock On The Mirror's. As For The Engine Noise, Well Sorry To Say It Is Front Wheel Drive Not Rear Wheel Drive Like Most Of You Have. All Fwd Car No Matter Who Makes Them Will Experience More Engine Feedback Than Rwd Car. Its The Nature Of The Beast, The Exhaust,transmission, I/e Valves, Camshafts, Vvti Actuators, Injectors, Iacs Controll, Air Inlet...ect... All Of These Things Are Pointed At Your Face While Driving. With All Of That In Mind I Think The Car Is Very Quiet.
Old 03-17-07, 04:55 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by lextech7
Nv008-06 ,nv005-06 And A Transmission Tsb Tc001-07. Drive Loaner Es350's All The Time The Only Wind Noise A Hear Is The Roadblock On The Mirror's. As For The Engine Noise, Well Sorry To Say It Is Front Wheel Drive Not Rear Wheel Drive Like Most Of You Have. All Fwd Car No Matter Who Makes Them Will Experience More Engine Feedback Than Rwd Car. Its The Nature Of The Beast, The Exhaust,transmission, I/e Valves, Camshafts, Vvti Actuators, Injectors, Iacs Controll, Air Inlet...ect... All Of These Things Are Pointed At Your Face While Driving. With All Of That In Mind I Think The Car Is Very Quiet.

Being FWD or RWD should have nothing to do with wind noise or engine sound intrusion into the car. The transmission TSIB you mention is not solving the transmission problem on many vehicles. The car, absent wind noise and and an engine defect, would be very quiet otherwise.
Old 03-17-07, 05:02 AM
static
Driver

Originally Posted by ES350Bob
Being FWD or RWD should have nothing to do with wind noise or engine sound intrusion into the car. The transmission TSIB you mention is not solving the transmission problem on many vehicles. The car, absent wind noise and and an engine defect, would be very quiet otherwise.
I think your right, and I also think the videos posted here bear this out. They just don't sound normal.
Old 03-17-07, 05:15 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by static
I think your right, and I also think the videos posted here bear this out. They just don't sound normal.

Yeah, I owned 2 ES300, a 94 and a 99, both FWD and with defect free engines at purchase and both very quiet cars as to engine and no wind noise at all in either, in fact if you complained about wind noise back then they got rid of the wind noise, no excuse making was ever heard or bizarre stories of buffeting, blah, blah.

The engines were so quiet at idle you really could mistake they were not on and attempt to re-crank the car, even standing outised the car at idle they were so amazingly quiet.

I know, I re-cranked them a couple of times over years of ownership or people I let drive them fessed up they did
Old 03-17-07, 12:26 PM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Do you have any suggestions on ways to reduce the roadblock wind noise on the mirrors?
Old 03-22-07, 06:07 PM
lextech7
Driver School Candidate

Yes There Is A Way To Make The Roadblock Quieter, They Have To Wrap The Mirror Or At Least Make It Over The Curve Of The Mirror, This Gets Rid Of The Noise But Most Installers Wont Do It Because Of The Extra Time It Takes To Do It.
Old 03-22-07, 06:29 PM
static
Driver

Yes There Is A Way To Make The Roadblock Quieter, They Have To Wrap The Mirror Or At Least Make It Over The Curve Of The Mirror, This Gets Rid Of The Noise But Most Installers Wont Do It Because Of The Extra Time It Takes To Do It.
You lost me. What does this mean?
Old 03-23-07, 05:58 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by static
You lost me. What does this mean?
It might mean something if majority of people were experiencing and reporting wind noise from mirror or area of mirror, but majority report it is from the windows/window gaskets, not having anything to with a mirror.
Old 03-29-07, 05:07 PM
lextech7
Driver School Candidate

Thats Not What I Mean At All...ok The Painted Area Of The Mirror. The Roadblock Needs To Not Only Cover The Front But Also The Top & Sides. The Installers Only Cover The Front Or Painted Side & Stop Short Of The Curve To The Latteral Side Of The Mirror. The Very Edge Of The Roadblock Closes To The Window Causes A Whistle/hiss. A FAST WAY OF CHECKING IS TO FOLD YOUR MIRROR IN A LITTLE & SEE IF THE NOISE GOES AWAY.
Old 03-30-07, 02:15 PM
toneman
Lead Lap

Thats Not What I Mean At All...ok The Painted Area Of The Mirror. The Roadblock Needs To Not Only Cover The Front But Also The Top & Sides. The Installers Only Cover The Front Or Painted Side & Stop Short Of The Curve To The Latteral Side Of The Mirror. The Very Edge Of The Roadblock Closes To The Window Causes A Whistle/hiss. A FAST WAY OF CHECKING IS TO FOLD YOUR MIRROR IN A LITTLE & SEE IF THE NOISE GOES AWAY.
Your explanation may be fine and dandy...but you (still) haven't really explained to us less-knowledgeable folks in layman's terms as to what exactly is a "roadblock"; the only thing I've been able to gather from your posts is that the "roadblock needs to cover the front, top, and sides of the mirror". So on behalf of others--and if not, then just myself--what is a "roadblock"...besides something that prevents cars from continuing down a road?

Quick Reply: My ES350 loaner