ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Disable automatic door locking/unlocking

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-07, 06:35 PM
NoiseFree
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Disable automatic door locking/unlocking

I'm slowly reading through the ES-350 manual, picking and choosing parts to read.

There are several 'Personalized Preferences' that I've noted down and will have addressed at my 1st month service.

I noticed on pg. 21 of the manual that there are settings to set and cancel the door-locking/unlocking functions. These functions are also mentioned in the 'Personalized Preferences' section, so there is overlap here (on paper anyways).

Anyways I tried a couple of times to follow the instructions on pg. 21 to disable the door locking and unlocking when the car is placed in Park and Neutral.

It didn't work for me. The instructions aren't all that clear to me, nor of what they are supposed to accomplish.

Has anyone got this to work for them?

I'd like to not have the doors lock when I place the shift out of Park and
not have the doors unlock when I place the shift into Park.
Old 03-07-07, 02:41 PM
sarge43
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the dealer make the following changes to my personalized settings: 1) Do not unlock all of the doors when shifting into park. 2) The doors all lock when reaching a specified speed (9 or 13mph, I don't recall). Never tried making these changes on my own. Works like a charm.
Old 03-07-07, 02:58 PM
NoiseFree
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by sarge43
I had the dealer make the following changes to my personalized settings: 1) Do not unlock all of the doors when shifting into park. 2) The doors all lock when reaching a specified speed (9 or 13mph, I don't recall). Never tried making these changes on my own. Works like a charm.
Thanks Sarge. I guess if nothings comes up in the next week or so I'll get my dealer to make the changes also.
I don't understand why other manufacturers let drivers set these things themselves and why Lexus has to be so difficult about it.
Old 03-07-07, 05:22 PM
osokuko
Pole Position

Originally Posted by NoiseFree
I'm slowly reading through the ES-350 manual, picking and choosing parts to read.

There are several 'Personalized Preferences' that I've noted down and will have addressed at my 1st month service.

I noticed on pg. 21 of the manual that there are settings to set and cancel the door-locking/unlocking functions. These functions are also mentioned in the 'Personalized Preferences' section, so there is overlap here (on paper anyways).

Anyways I tried a couple of times to follow the instructions on pg. 21 to disable the door locking and unlocking when the car is placed in Park and Neutral.

It didn't work for me. The instructions aren't all that clear to me, nor of what they are supposed to accomplish.

Has anyone got this to work for them?

I'd like to not have the doors lock when I place the shift out of Park and
not have the doors unlock when I place the shift into Park.

Give this a try.

You will do this to LOCK the doors when the car reaches a speed of 13mph.

Sit inside the car
Close all doors
Push the engine start button once ( you must do the next step with in 10 sec.)
Shift to “N” then push and hold the door “lock” button on the drivers door for 5 sec.
You done drive car to make sure the doors lock at 13 mph.

Next

When shifting into “P”ark doors stay LOCKED.

Sit inside the car
Close all doors
Shift to “P” then push and hold the door “lock” button on the drivers door for 5 sec.
Your done, again drive the car to make sure both setting are working.

Note the shift into “P” step, probably the car is already in “P” if the setting doesn’t work then try shift out of “P” than back into “P”.

Hope you successful.
Old 03-07-07, 06:30 PM
NoiseFree
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by osokuko
Next

When shifting into “P”ark doors stay LOCKED.

Sit inside the car
Close all doors
Shift to “P” then push and hold the door “lock” button on the drivers door for 5 sec.
Your done, again drive the car to make sure both setting are working.

Note the shift into “P” step, probably the car is already in “P” if the setting doesn’t work then try shift out of “P” than back into “P”.

Hope you successful.

Thanks Osukuko. On the surface it all seems quite easy but there are many
variables at play here.
As you noted, for the operation quoted above, the car is already in 'P'. And you are asked to place the car in 'P'. Does that mean you can just leave it there and hold down the 'lock' button, or do you have to shift out of 'P' and then put it into 'P'. They are not clear on this.

Also they say to 'Push the engine start button once (you must do the next step with in 10 sec.)'. Does this mean that for each function you want to program, you must shut off the engine and start it up again?

I'll have another shot at it tomorrow, but so far after several attempts I haven't had any success at all with it.

BTW, your above suggestion is the reverse of what I want.
When I'm in the car I want the locks to remain open ANY time I use the shift.
Even when I'm travelling 15 mph or higher, I still want to control the doors myself, and not have the car do it.

The only time I want the CAR to lock the doors is when I'm leaving the vehicle and hit the button on the door or use the key remote.
The following users liked this post:
JRMigs (09-19-19)
Old 03-07-07, 08:54 PM
osokuko
Pole Position

Sorry for leading you down the wrong road, my error. Your right push the start button for ignition (green light) on but not necessary to actually have the engine running. The whole process must be completed in 10 sec. In other word you have 10 sec from the time you see the green light.

Ok you want no door locking at all, you will control the locking your self.
Look at page 407. Under “function” title at top of page, now look down to “shifting gears to position other than P locks all doors” the default setting is ON which mean active. You will have to change that setting to off.

On page 21 look at “shift position linked door unlocking function”. Your right the titles don’t match (confusing) but I think this is the function you should try. Your already in “P”ark so give it a try.

Actually it should be easy, after all the process is hit the start button till you see the green light then hold down the unlock button on drive door for 5 sec. Should work for you unless the pervious tries have messed things up. I’m sure you already know that the dealer can change these settings in about 10-15 min. Good Luck!
Old 05-02-14, 08:10 PM
Marylou
Driver School Candidate

Default Solution

If you have Nav on your vehicle, the above steps will not work. You have to use the Settings function on the main Menu screen, it's the far right option on the top.