ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Questions For those with working transmissions.....

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-07, 04:41 PM
djr
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

12/06 build, 6 weeks old and 3800 miles (mostly highway) and the trans is perfectly smooth, it does like to move quickly from 1st to second. No erratic shift patterns, and I too notice (barely) the "downshifting" when coasting to a stop, but it is not a concern.

Something I can add is that when I was learning to fix computers, one of the first things I was taught by my boss was to always "flash" the BIOS on a mainboard twice when reprogramming/updating. The reasoning for this is that "flashing" (at least on a mainboard) involves physically burning part of the BIOS. Flashing it twice ensures that the burns were all complete. I wonder if re-flashing the tranny BIOS twice might be a solution?
Old 03-07-07, 05:31 PM
ESsearch
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by osokuko
NoiseFree
I did start to notice something interesting a week or so ago. When I release the gas pedal the car will start to downshift. I never had this 'feature' in any of my previous vehicles. I think it's kind of neat. It saves my using the brakes quite a bit. It's not a fast downshift, very gradual. About the same deceleration I'd be making if I used the brakes instead.
Is this part of the design of the car?
Remember 5th and 6th are overdrive gears. I suspect it drops back to 4th (or 5th depending on speed) when the gas pedal is released.

Pete
Old 03-07-07, 06:39 PM
NoiseFree
Intermediate

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by ESsearch
Remember 5th and 6th are overdrive gears. I suspect it drops back to 4th (or 5th depending on speed) when the gas pedal is released.

Pete
I wasn't aware of that. Does that mean that if I leave the car in regular 'D'rive it won't get into 5th or 6th gear?

I haven't driven the car over 65 m.p.h. yet. The downshifting is probably going from 4th to 3rd to 2nd.
Old 03-07-07, 06:45 PM
NoiseFree
Intermediate

Oh wow there bring that back again. It sounds like what your feeling when you take you foot off the gas is a feature used on the 06 Camry 5 speed AT. It’s used for going down hill, Just like you say if you slightly release the gas pedal the trans will give the car resistances so you don’t have to ride your brakes all the time. I’ll have to check it out next time I drive.
Interesting. My last car was a '96 Camry and I certainly didn't have this 'feature'.
As I mentioned I first started to notice it last week. Now I look out for it much of the time and it happens *all the time* I release the gas pedal.

As I said, I think it's pretty cool. It's not hard on the engine. It downshifts very gradually.

Of course I'm assuming that Lexus has thought this out thoroughly and is automatically applying the brake lights when this downshifting occurs.

You know how frustrating it can be tagging along behind someone who slows down and gives *no indication* that they are slowing. Gosh it's outright dangerous!
Old 03-07-07, 08:14 PM
coolcow
Driver School Candidate

More questions about the "downshift".

I notice my car downshift around 30mph and also some where close to 20mph. On my car, the downshift is definitely noticeable, not as smooth as upshift in normal driving condition. I also notice downshift can also happen when you press the break pedal.

I'm interested in knowing your experiences.
Old 03-07-07, 08:52 PM
NoiseFree
Intermediate

>> I notice my car downshift around 30mph and also some where close to 20mph. On my car, the downshift is definitely noticeable, not as smooth as upshift in normal driving condition. I also notice downshift can also happen when you press the break pedal.

I'm interested in knowing your experiences.<<

A little more detail on my experience.
My downshifting is ultra smooth, just as smooth as my upshifting.
Since I now know about the downshifting I don't tend to use the brake pedal all that much. Just to finish off a stop.

When I press the brake pedal I imagine downshifting still occurs,
but it's happening so subtly that I don't notice it at the moment.
Old 03-07-07, 10:52 PM
Kaius88
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by NoiseFree
Interesting. My last car was a '96 Camry and I certainly didn't have this 'feature'.
As I mentioned I first started to notice it last week. Now I look out for it much of the time and it happens *all the time* I release the gas pedal.

As I said, I think it's pretty cool. It's not hard on the engine. It downshifts very gradually.

Of course I'm assuming that Lexus has thought this out thoroughly and is automatically applying the brake lights when this downshifting occurs.

You know how frustrating it can be tagging along behind someone who slows down and gives *no indication* that they are slowing. Gosh it's outright dangerous!
I think Osokuko was refering to the new 2006 camry not the older 1996 camry. The downshift is definitely an added modern feature, tho i dont like it that much. There are long stretches of local streets near my house that are perfect for coasting.....yet i have to press the gas in order to coast at a reasonable speed. As soon as i release gas, the downshift reduces the speed too much for me.
Old 03-07-07, 11:26 PM
NoiseFree
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Kaius88
I think Osokuko was refering to the new 2006 camry not the older 1996 camry. The downshift is definitely an added modern feature, tho i dont like it that much. There are long stretches of local streets near my house that are perfect for coasting.....yet i have to press the gas in order to coast at a reasonable speed. As soon as i release gas, the downshift reduces the speed too much for me.

Ah yes, you are absolutely right! In these situations it's definitely desirable to be able to coast without downshifting. I would imagine too that having to keep the foot to the pedal would consume extra gas that otherwise wouldn't be consumed.

Ideally, this function should be user selectable. And on-the-fly too.

Right now I've been enjoying it, but I'll see down the road (no pun intended) how often I run into situations where I'd prefer to coast.
How much do you think car manufacturers actually think these things through (after they get their initial concept, which they think is brilliant) ?
Old 03-08-07, 06:06 AM
ESsearch
Pole Position

Originally Posted by NoiseFree
I wasn't aware of that. Does that mean that if I leave the car in regular 'D'rive it won't get into 5th or 6th gear?

I haven't driven the car over 65 m.p.h. yet. The downshifting is probably going from 4th to 3rd to 2nd.
If you put the car in drive it will go into 5th and 6th at fairly slow speeds (30 or 40 mph) as necessary and to save gas. But since those are overdrive gear ratios, when you let up on the gas, it will drop back to 4th to provide some engine braking. It is also why when you shift to "S" it goes into 4th. It is the highest non-overdrive gear.

Pete
Old 03-08-07, 08:07 PM
RobF350
Driver

I find my transmission just about flawless, I dont even think about it.
To the point I find it hard to believe it is such a big problem for others.

I dont drive like grandma, and I dont drive like I stole it either.

sorry if I did not read the 3 pages, just responding to the question.
8100-8300 miles or so?
Old 03-13-07, 12:25 PM
psp
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ESsearch
It is also why when you shift to "S" it goes into 4th. It is the highest non-overdrive gear.

Pete
Do you not mean that if you put it in S it will shift no higher than 4th?

That is correct but the operator can also put it in any other gear manually manually. The shift is really a limiter indicating the highest gear to shift to. If you are at a stop and have it in S and 3, the car starts in first, goes to 2nd and then 3rd. You cannot tell it to go right to a specific gear from a dead stop (except first or Race).
Old 03-13-07, 12:43 PM
ESsearch
Pole Position

Originally Posted by psp

That is correct but the operator can also put it in any other gear manually manually. The shift is really a limiter indicating the highest gear to shift to. If you are at a stop and have it in S and 3, the car starts in first, goes to 2nd and then 3rd. You cannot tell it to go right to a specific gear from a dead stop (except first or Race).
psp's description of the operation is correct under most normal driving conditions. To more specifically clarify however, the computer will override your selection for the safety of the engine if necessary. For example if you are doing 120mph in "D" and then select "S" mode, the transaxle will not start with 4th as it is too low of a gear. I haven't tested that but I would guess it stay in 6th. Same for a up-shift. If you bounce the tach off the rev limiter (6,500 rpm if I recall) it will shift to the next higher gear and not wait on you to manually shift. Good safety measures IMO.

Pete
Old 03-13-07, 01:08 PM
ESsearch
Pole Position

Originally Posted by psp
Yes, that is what I meant. Under most circumstances when shifting from "D" to "S" the transaxle will default to limiting to 4th as the top gear.
Old 03-17-07, 06:02 PM
osokuko
Pole Position

NoiseFree:
I did start to notice something interesting a week or so ago. When I release the gas pedal the car will start to downshift. I never had this 'feature' in any of my previous vehicles. I think it's kind of neat. It saves my using the brakes quite a bit. It's not a fast downshift, very gradual. About the same deceleration I'd be making if I used the brakes instead.
Is this part of the design of the car?

Oh wow there bring that back again. It sounds like what your feeling when you take you foot off the gas is a feature used on the 06 Camry 5 speed AT. It’s used for going down hill, Just like you say if you slightly release the gas pedal the trans will give the car resistances so you don’t have to ride your brakes all the time. I’ll have to check it out next time I drive.

I got my chance to find out. While coming back from a trip with 4 people in the car and luggage in the truck last Monday. We went over a large bridge in San Pedro - pretty steep grade on both sides of the bridge. On the down ward side I took my foot off the gas and noticed the car held at 65 MPH all the way down while other cars in front of me were starting to coast faster and some were using there brakes to maintain speed. I didn’t feel any down shift though, she just held the same speed. Pretty neat feature.

Last edited by osokuko; 03-17-07 at 06:08 PM. Reason: add more content
Old 03-17-07, 07:05 PM
terryes
Driver School Candidate

I got my chance to find out. While coming back from a trip with 4 people in the car and luggage in the truck last Monday. We went over a large bridge in San Pedro - pretty steep grade on both sides of the bridge. On the down ward side I took my foot off the gas and noticed the car held at 65 MPH all the way down while other cars in front of me were starting to coast faster and some were using there brakes to maintain speed. I didn’t feel any down shift though, she just held the same speed. Pretty neat feature.
I agree.

This reminds me of people I really cursed out on the road. They keep their cars in "D" going up and down grades of 15 percent or better. This is especially true around Denver or on the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. They CHUG going up and ride the BRAKE going down. Although the ES350 is awesome in trying to compensate for these transgressions, it DOES NEED A LITTLE HELP FROM THE DRIVERS. Your Downshifts/Upshifts really are necessary.