ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Can your ES350 take a hit?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-07, 06:19 PM
Kaius88
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can your ES350 take a hit?

After reading Dreyfus' bumper story, I immediately thought of my related-but-different story. I just changed jobs, and my new parking space is really small and dark. It was a real pain squeezing in there this morning, but i did it without hitting the other car *knock on wood*. Right when I breathed a sigh of relief, I felt a "thunk" and realized my front bumper has touched the concrete wall directly in front of it. I still have not examined my bumper. It was basically low impact at 1-2 mph. I am crossing my finger that the car is unhurt, tho i wont know till this weekend when i examine it under daylight.

My question is: has anyone experienced any near-tragic impact but ended up unhurt and unscratched? I think the ES350 should be solid enough to take a good "ummph" without damage. That's what I believe.
Old 02-28-07, 06:35 PM
onsknht
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Kaius88
After reading Dreyfus' bumper story, I immediately thought of my related-but-different story. I just changed jobs, and my new parking space is really small and dark. It was a real pain squeezing in there this morning, but i did it without hitting the other car *knock on wood*. Right when I breathed a sigh of relief, I felt a "thunk" and realized my front bumper has touched the concrete wall directly in front of it. I still have not examined my bumper. It was basically low impact at 1-2 mph. I am crossing my finger that the car is unhurt, tho i wont know till this weekend when i examine it under daylight.

My question is: has anyone experienced any near-tragic impact but ended up unhurt and unscratched? I think the ES350 should be solid enough to take a good "ummph" without damage. That's what I believe.
There's no doubt the car will perform within the 5MPH bumper test guidelines... Toyota's been doing so for years.

Problem is... How close have you looked at that bumper??? Reason I ask is because I'll call you out as a liar right now if you say the bumper is spotless... There's gotta be something in the clear coat at least.

So the question is... Can you live with a scuff?
Old 02-28-07, 06:40 PM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Kaius,

I don't know how you could wait, I'd have gotten right out an looked it over, or once home, even with a flashlight.
Old 02-28-07, 11:34 PM
Kaius88
Lead Lap

To tell ya the truth, I am pretty sure some scruff/scratch has occurred. Since I cannot change what happened, it makes no difference to me if I check it out now or this weekend. The parking lot has no lighting, so I couldnt see even if i wanted to. By the time I get home at 8pm, it's too dark. I dont have a flashlight handy. I guess I gotta wait till saturday morning. I need to get my free carwash soon....havent had a wash since dec 10th, and I somehow managed to avoid both storms since december. So no rain-wash either.
Old 02-28-07, 11:57 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

probably something that can be buffed out.

but this reminds me of the news clip i saw tonight about the latest highway safety institute bumper tests.

many cars can't withstand 3-6mph front impacts without costing thousands of dollars in repairs. three-six. yes. The new camry racks up charges under $5000.
Old 03-01-07, 12:04 PM
glock22x
Driver School Candidate

My ES350 took a 5km/h hit a while ago at this stupid parking lot. For some reason they have 'hidden' concrete blocks that are about .5 meter tall in every other spot Sadly, I parked where there was one and hit one while I was backing in (I don't have Parking Assist). I heard a squeek sound when my car came to a sudden stop. Panicking, I ran out into the pouring rain to check my bumper. Luckily, no dent or deep scratch...but I could see a 3cm wide mark of "crumbled paint." However, it's very un-noticeable.

I hope there aren't any structural damage.....
Old 03-02-07, 10:37 AM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Kaius, I was wondering where you have disappeared. Now, I see you are slaving away at a new job! The company where I work consolidating locations, and my commute going to turn from 20 min one way, to 1hr 20 min Not looking forward to extra car wear/tear and premium only gas usage...

Anyway, in both of the cases with my previous ES350 and new GS350, insurance added a small premium to my payments due to a "safety crumple zone." I was surprised because this supposed to be a safety bonus, and I would of expected to pay less money for insurance like when you have a window etching or automatic seatbelt or anti-thieft system. But, insurance told me that "yeah, this extra safety thing is good for you, but not for us. With even a little collision, car front crumples a lot and more costly repair needs to be done". Yes, their *point of view*
Old 03-02-07, 12:13 PM
OAKPLANK
Rookie

glock22X
Refer to the trunk liner removal thread.
This may have help you back up without hiting anything.
Cost is about 100.00 CDN at Costco.
oakplank
Old 03-02-07, 01:00 PM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I thought this post was about the ES350 taking a "depreciation" hit. Sorry....
Old 03-02-07, 01:06 PM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by garsarno
I thought this post was about the ES350 taking a "depreciation" hit. Sorry....
That is given , along with GS *rattling* reputation