ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Lexus mechanics

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-07, 12:06 PM
dreyfus

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by BobsGX
There also are a lot of parts that are different (obviously) on the Camry/ES350 and Toyota dealers cannot order Lexus parts, even if they have the correct part number. The Toyota parts system will not accept Lexus part numbers.
But on parts that are shared between lines you can get them at your Toyota dealer. I get my ES350 oil filters from my Toyota dealer.
Old 03-03-07, 02:46 PM
BobsGX
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dreyfus
But on parts that are shared between lines you can get them at your Toyota dealer. I get my ES350 oil filters from my Toyota dealer.
That's always been the case.
Old 03-06-07, 11:16 PM
Argentum
Driver School Candidate

Warranty repairs for a Lexus cannot be performed at a Toyota dealer, unless the nearest Lexus dealer is over 100 (straight-line) miles away. Even then, you have to submit your claim to Lexus for review and possible reimbursement. Read your owner's manual for more information.

Likewise, warranty repairs for Toyotas have to be performed at Toyota dealers, not Lexus service centers.

If you do have services or repairs at a Toyota dealer, remember to save your paperwork and receipts. Lexus does not have access to Toyota's service history for your car, and vice versa.
Old 03-07-07, 10:54 AM
V8_Fan
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

I heard that when a toyota tech reaches a certain level of expertise (master level, etc.), they get transferred to lexus...pay rate is better. If you've ever noticed, the guy changing the oil at Toyota/honda dealers is the lowest paid guy. I've heard of several stories recently of toyota forgetting to put oil in the engine! I had a local "award winning" toyota dealer change my tranny fluid (full 12 qt exchange in my LX) and repack the wheel bearings. They put some kind of "ATF conditioner" in there. Two lexus techs at different dealers told me they've never heard of putting any additive conditioner in there, nor have I. Since I don't have time to have Toyota redo the ATF change since they are clear cross town in the wrong direction and have no loaner service, I had to pay my lexus dealer $250 to change the ATF or risk that some non-Toyota additive will damage the tranny over time. The toyota tech also broke two of the wheel center caps (wire broke on one, one of the plastic legs on the other). IMHO, toyota isn't very careful with one's vehicle.

And, yes, I do buy most of my parts from Toyota on discount, and do perform most of the maintenance myself.
Old 03-07-07, 11:28 AM
jjbodean
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Jim_Chow
I heard that when a toyota tech reaches a certain level of expertise (master level, etc.), they get transferred to lexus...pay rate is better.
not necessarily, depends. i would say that may be the case if the same franchise dealer has both stores, i saw it at the old toyota/lexus dealer where i was. if the same people dont own both franchises i would say it would happen less.