ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Replacement ES is already at the Dealer

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-07, 09:22 AM
gooch
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacement ES is already at the Dealer

Update: My new 350 with 1200 miles on it is at the dealer. First flare came at 1100 miles and then three days in a row. they came and picked it up last Friday and caught it on the computer this morning. I am not going to get another 350. I am sure they all have this problem, (every loaner i have had does it) it's just the drivers are not recognizing what is going on. It will not be solved until they come out with a new tranny in the 2008 models and hopefully the transmisson issue will be rectified in that model.

My question is, I am going to get the IS model. I know that the ride is not as good, but is there any on-going issues with the 2007 model I should be aware of?
Old 02-26-07, 09:26 AM
jjbodean
Lexus Test Driver

i would go check out the 2is forum for more details, its fairly active
Old 02-26-07, 09:34 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gooch
Update: My new 350 with 1200 miles on it is at the dealer. First flare came at 1100 miles and then three days in a row. they came and picked it up last Friday and caught it on the computer this morning. I am not going to get another 350. I am sure they all have this problem, (every loaner i have had does it) it's just the drivers are not recognizing what is going on. It will not be solved until they come out with a new tranny in the 2008 models and hopefully the transmisson issue will be rectified in that model.

My question is, I am going to get the IS model. I know that the ride is not as good, but is there any on-going issues with the 2007 model I should be aware of?
Sorry to know this is happening to you again, my second ES350 same as your experience, it slips too.

What is the build month of your new ES350?
Old 02-26-07, 09:53 AM
ESsearch
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gooch - Sorry to hear your second car did not do any better. What will you be doing with those free E-sport wheels? Are they going to offer you another buy back? I had kinda assumed that it was a one time proposition. Did you pre-negotiate another buy back or are you just trading in with the dealer? Curious as I am starting down the buy back road as well.

Pete
Old 02-26-07, 10:07 AM
nyardich
Driver

Question You've got questions, I have the answers....

Originally Posted by jjbodean
i would go check out the 2is forum for more details, its fairly active
Heres my question and lets see if u have answer???????

My Car:::;

The noise, "Diesel Like" is only present after you cold start your engine and drive your car immediately. No noise is present while idling. I can only hear the tapping sound when I press the gas pedal with all accessories off and car moving at low speed (the sound is gone when I release gas pedal or after the temperature gauge rise to the mid-point). Car is 03/06 build and was purchased in May, so when had warm weather in 80's didnt detect but as colder weather came so did cold start engine noise. Now in winter occurs on each cold start. Lexus of Dayton says this is normal. I have quit talkingto them as the loaners I have had all were quiet.

I have been told its Hi Pressure Fuel Pump, Injectors, Valves, Piston Slap so whats your answer????????

nyardich@aol.com
Old 02-26-07, 05:02 PM
osokuko
Pole Position

Sorry to hear about the flare, hoped it would not come back. What is the severity of the flares now 200, 400?
Old 02-26-07, 05:43 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

I have to disagree with you on this point. After 9+ months of ownership I haven't experienced any flare/slip at all with my car. Believe me, I would recognize it if it were there. Good luck with your IS, they're very nice.
Old 02-26-07, 06:03 PM
NGG
Pole Position

Answer to your IS question:

Sorry to hear that the replacement ES did not work out. That is exactly the reason that when my dealer offered to buyback my ES I opted for an 07 IS350 as a replacement. Here are some of the things to consider before ordering the IS.

(1) Tires. I was concerned about a hard noisy ride so I opted for 17 inch wheels as the tires were of a higher profile than the 18 inch, thus higher sidewall thus more compliant ride. Also the 17s have a longer tread wear than the 18s (20000 miles versus 15000...refer to disclaimer section of the 07 brochure).

(2) Suspension. I opted for the standard suspension as opposed to the sports one as the former has a more compliant ride. Both of these choices has resulted in a satisfactory ride...not as soft as the ES, bit one with a lot more control and less body lean.

(3) Brakes. These "high friction" pads have a shorter life than others. The disclaimer section of the 07 brochure cautions that front pad life may be less than 19000 miles and rotors less than 48000 miles. Also the front pads create a lot of unsightly brake dust. This can be remedied by having the pads replaced under warranty with ones that are less "dusty". There is a TSB for this. Would suggest you live with the dust until replacement pads are needed, and get them done for free.

(4) Seems that most of the rattles reported on earlier models have been remedied at the factory. Mine is a 12/06 build and I have noticed a minor plastic "tick" sound from the right side of the dash. Have not yet isolated the source...so no fix yet.

(5) One design flaw are door openings that drip rain water on occupants when opened. I read on the IS forum that this has been recognized by Lexus but not to expect a design change soon.

(6) Tight rear seat. Rear seat passengers will not be too comfortable on prolonged trips.

Please note that all distances (miles) quoted above are approximate conversions from kilometers as published in the Canadian brochure.

Hope this helps. Let us know how you make out. Best of luck. I hope you will be as happy with your IS as I am.
Old 02-27-07, 05:24 AM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have had the diesel like noise upon cold start up since day one on our 8/06 build date UL. Was told it was the fuel injection and was normal. Was not present on the ES350 loaner nor the RX350 we had during the transmission diagnosis and replacement. But... both of these vehicles just had fresh oil changes too. Will be taking the UL for the free first oil chnage in March and will report if this eliminates the knock.
Old 02-27-07, 07:20 AM
gooch
Driver School Candidate

NGG, thanks for the info on the is350.

to answer some of the questions, I told the dealer and they knew when they gave me this car that i would not be getting another. so they told atlanta that a new es350 was not an option. that's how we are in neg. for an IS.

the flare was between 400-600 rpms between the third and fourth gear.
Old 02-27-07, 04:47 PM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Sorry to hear that this happened to you again. I hope Lexus takes care of you and that you get what you want.

I did want to comment that all of the ES's don't have the flare. Mine has over 9K miles and never flared once. I drove a loaner during my 5K service and it flared several times. There was no difference in driving habbits. I, too, would be very upset if my own car performed like my loaner did. I would not tolerate it!!

If you get the IS, let us all know how your new ride is.....GOOD LUCK!!
Old 02-27-07, 04:48 PM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by garsarno
I have had the diesel like noise upon cold start up since day one on our 8/06 build date UL. Was told it was the fuel injection and was normal. Was not present on the ES350 loaner nor the RX350 we had during the transmission diagnosis and replacement. But... both of these vehicles just had fresh oil changes too. Will be taking the UL for the free first oil chnage in March and will report if this eliminates the knock.
Don't get your hopes up. Mine has the knock and I had the oil change at 5K. It still knocks. I am now used to it, would rather have the knock than the flare.
Old 02-27-07, 04:49 PM
sdbrandon
Lead Lap

Since Lexus has no fix, I would think every ES is susceptible to this issue.

The question is why are some not noticing the problem? Or has the issue just not surfaced on every car yet?
Old 03-01-07, 05:50 AM
ESsearch
Pole Position

Gooch - Any chance you have the build date of your second ES? Also, keep us posted on your IS.

Pete
Old 03-01-07, 07:33 AM
gooch
Driver School Candidate

Since the car is at the dealer, I cannot supply the vehicle build date. I will keep you all posted on the proceedings.

Quick Reply: Replacement ES is already at the Dealer