Recirculated air mode

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-07, 11:05 PM
NoiseFree
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by RobF350
I think if you have the car on defrost it will use fresh air only

I have another car with auto climate and when I use defrost it automatically sucks in fresh air, cant leave it on re-circ.

as far as the glove box and back window go- thats the breaks man!
and a cold engine is a little noiser- might be the converters warming up or some jazz like that.

BTW- im the opposite- would rather fresh air then re-circ, how did you keep your windows clear always running in recirc?

Hey Rob,

I definitely didn't have defrost on.
Thanks for the note about cold engines, that gives me hope

BTW- im the opposite- would rather fresh air then re-circ, how did you keep your windows clear always running in recirc?
Good question.
It was a struggle at times. Occasionally I had to let some fresh air in to clear the windows. At the same time I'd set it to defrost and even turn the A/C on (in winter) which always helped.
But overall it wasn't too much of a problem.

I'd basically set out and let fresh air in when the coast was clear. Then as traffic started to pile up anywhere I'd close out the outside air.
It worked wonders. I don't want to give up this feature now.
Old 02-18-07, 11:26 PM
07LexusGuy
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NoiseFree
Thanks for this tip Argentum.

OK now back to the basics...
Why is my glove compartment smaller than my Camry's was?
Why is the between seat compartment smaller than my Camry's was?
Why is my vision so obstructed when I'm backing up (small back window and puffed out rear panels)?

End of rant for this post...
Oh yah, I hear your pain. I remember just my last '05 Camry with the two-level center arm rest, I could hold 5 water bottles in the lower level and have my work badges and other things in the upper level - that was great, I was never thirsty!! The ES350 only has room enough for 2 water bottles, the 3rd can't fit with that slider thing in there.

And the glove box - yah, its a bit small too, I put the manual in there and it takes up all the room - and it barely fits too!! The RX's glove box is much better though.

As for the rear visibility, it can certainly be improved too. The back-up camera does wonders to help when in doubt or when backing out of a sloped driveway.
Old 02-19-07, 10:02 PM
NoiseFree
Pit Crew

Well my saga continues. Today I didn't get very far (literally and figuratively).
I didn't drive my car to do any more testing.

I called Lexus head office and my dealer (service) but the two people I spoke with didn't have any answers to my situation. Head office said to bring my car in to my dealer.

I'm reading my manual now on page 167 and I don't like what I'm reading.
One part I like, the line that says:

-Using the system in recirculated mode-
"The windows will fog up more easily if the recirculated air mode is used for an extended period".

That's OK I'm a big boy, I can deal with it. Just let me have it!

Here's the part I don't like:

-Window defogger feature-
"Recirculated air mode may automatically switch to outside air mode in situations where the windows need to be defogged."

And just who determines when the windows need to be defogged?
Again, I'm a big boy, I can deal with these things!

So despite all the assurances that I've been given by some other members here who say their recirc button works for them, I currently remain sceptical.
It may work for a period of time, but as the season changes your Lexus may over-ride your wishes.

I sure hope I'm wrong!
Old 02-20-07, 04:14 AM
RobF350
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you did not ride around in re-circ all the time you would not have to drive with the AC running all the time either.

its set like that because thats how you should be driving, you want to drive the opposite of what keeps the windows clear?

only time the AC compressor comes on is when you obviously want cooling, and when you run the defroster, whats the point of using the defroster and using re-circ? Your fighting each other.
Old 02-20-07, 11:40 AM
BobBass
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

NoiseFree (luv that name - too bad more of our "environment" is not),

You certainly have the RIGHT to choose whether or not to run in "recirc" mode all the time and should be able to do so, but for the life of me I cannot undertand why people want to.

The advantages I can see would be:
1) In summer, recirculating inside cooled air means less compressor operation (although in Ontario, I would think that would be less of an issue).
2) In congested city driving, you are not drawing in outside exhaust-laden air (although in Ontario, I would think that would be less of an issue).

The DISadvantages I can see would be:
1) You NEVER get any fresh air in the cabin while driving.
2) You just keep recirulating the cabin air, laden with outgassing particulates and "occupant CO2." (Hope you didn't eat at Taco Bell, either ).
3) Aforementioned less effective defogging of windshield.

My sister and bro-in-law who live in Honolulu drive in "recirc" all the time and it DRIVES ME NUTS! Although, in that environment - extreme heat and traffic congestion - I can understand why. They're also getting slightly better gas mileage, too.

I live in the suburbs of Philadelphia, PA. Those conditions are few and far between. What am I missing?
Old 02-20-07, 07:42 PM
NoiseFree
Pit Crew

Default Problem solved!!!

Success!!!

I figured this one out in bed actually.
It was the middle of last night and I was dreaming/thinking of my Lexus and this recirc problem.

I thought about everything I had read in the manual and on this site about the problem. I also thought about the image that I kept seeing on the dash display as I was driving home from the Lexus dealer's.

Then it hit me and I was pretty sure I was going to solve it today.
The image I was seeing all the way home was a body with an arrow pointing towards its feet and a windshield defogger symbol above the arrow.

The manual and people here said that you can't have the defogger and the recirc going at the same time. Bingo!

When the fellow who was demo'ing all the features of my new car went through each one (yes, every last one, as if I was really listening )
he had set the air outlet mode setting to 'feet + windshield defogger'.
Like I knew what he had just done OR the significance of it WRT the air recirc button!

It was all just one big fluke that he had ended up setting the mode this way and that he had left it activated too.

Well today when I turned off the windshield defogger my hunch was correct!
The air recirc. now stayed on all the time! Yippee!

I now have a favourite feature in my Lexus!

It's funny that Lexus head office and my dealer's service department didn't suggest this when I called yesterday. It's not as if I was calling a fish and tackle shop or a bakery store.
Old 02-20-07, 07:50 PM
NoiseFree
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by BobBass
NoiseFree (luv that name - too bad more of our "environment" is not),
Thanks! Yes it is a pity.

You are quite right about the advantages and disadvantages of using the air recirc mode.

In large part I still use it most of the time out of habit. I had driven a Honda Accord and my previous Camry in Toronto for many years and air recirc in that city is indispensible (at least for me). The city is a virtual parking lot 24/7. Much smog.

I'm now living in a much smaller city and so I can get by a lot more with the outside air mode activated.

Highway driving remains the same though. Air recirc. is essential there.

What am I missing?
Not much, you got it!

BTW any chance you are a bass player or singer?
Some people call me EricGuitar
Old 02-21-07, 03:00 AM
willard
Driver School Candidate

If this is any help my 2001 911/996 C4 operates the same way. If I have recirculate on and then use the system to switch the A/C off then a few minutes later the system will automatically switch to FRESH and will not allow me to activate recirculate until I turn the A/C back on.

Seeing as how the 911 doesn't have RX300's c-best options I have added a switch wherein I can open the A/C compressor clutch circuit throughout the winter months.

The 911's climate control systems doesn't know the A/C is disabled, "turned off", so it leaves the system in recirculate indefinitely, or until the windshield does actually start fogging up and then "I" switch to FRESH while at the same time activating the windshield defog mode.

Last edited by willard; 02-21-07 at 03:03 AM.
Old 03-08-07, 07:31 PM
NoiseFree
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by NoiseFree
Success!!!

....The manual and people here said that you can't have the defogger and the recirc going at the same time. Bingo!

...Well today when I turned off the windshield defogger my hunch was correct!
The air recirc. now stayed on all the time! Yippee!

I now have a favourite feature in my Lexus!
It turns out I spoke too soon

***Rant Warning***

Now I'm really pissed. I seem to have a love/hate relationship with my 350.
Now I'm in hate mode. Grrrrrrrr.....

Right after I was satisfied that I had discovered how to keep the recirc mode ON as long as I wished, I started to use Auto mode (which switches between recirc and outside air).

I just wasn't in a situation which required the Recirc. to be on for an extended period. But I _had tested it out so it was on for 20+ minutes at a time. I did that several times and was satisfied that it worked.

Well today I was in a situation where I wanted it to be in Recirc mode for as long as *I* wanted. Well wouldn't you know the car decided that *it* was going to determine what was right for me!

I kept changing it to Recirc mode (like I did when I first got the car) and it kept changing back to outside air mode. It would do this anywhere from 1 to 5 minutes after I had put it in Recirc mode.

It did this whether I was in Auto Climate control mode or not.

I am totally convinced now (especially after having read of problems in another thread on this topic) that the 'logic' for this device is malfunctioning.

I just hope that when I bring my car in for the 1 month checkup next week that a) they have a replacement unit for the control b) a mechanic who knows how to install it.

***/rant warning***
Old 03-09-07, 02:55 AM
static
Driver

There are 2 ocassions when I want mine to recirc,

in backed up traffic, which is everyday for my commute

when the temp is cold and the car hasn't warmed up yet

It just won't stay where I set it for long no matter what I try.

10K service coming up soon, I'm going to ask about that.
Old 03-09-07, 01:08 PM
CDN_Lexus
Pole Position

Hello. You can keep your car's climate control system in recirc mode by not having the system set to Auto or the mode button set to the defrost or the defrost / feet icon. If you keep the mode button set to the direct to face icon the system will allow you to turn on the A/C and control the fan speed while remaining in recirc mode. If, however, you activate the Auto setting or direct the airflow to defrost, the system will become automatic and will fluctuate back and forth between fresh air and recirc.

I just tested the system and the above information is correct.

Last edited by CDN_Lexus; 03-09-07 at 01:14 PM.
Old 03-09-07, 01:22 PM
onsknht
Pole Position

FWIW - the 07 Camry with manual controls would allow the following...

1. Recirculation mode when using Defrost/Feet combination, it would always be "open" if just the defrost is on.

2. Pressing and holding the recirculation button in the "on position" would set it so that the car would not control the mode unless switched to defrost, so in effect the air recirculation is always closed.
Old 03-09-07, 02:32 PM
NoiseFree
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by CDN_Lexus
Hello. You can keep your car's climate control system in recirc mode by not having the system set to Auto or the mode button set to the defrost or the defrost / feet icon. If you keep the mode button set to the direct to face icon the system will allow you to turn on the A/C and control the fan speed while remaining in recirc mode. If, however, you activate the Auto setting or direct the airflow to defrost, the system will become automatic and will fluctuate back and forth between fresh air and recirc.

I just tested the system and the above information is correct.

I am always greatly encouraged when I read posts like this. I feel that eventually, when the bugs are worked out with my car, that it will operate as I want it to.

But unfortunately, for the moment, my car is not cooperating.
I have set my system to non-Auto mode, and checked that the mode button is not set to defrost or the defrost/feet icon.

>>If you keep the mode button set to the direct to face icon the system will allow you to turn on the A/C and control the fan speed while remaining in recirc mode. <<

I don't think I tried the direct to face icon, but I have tried the direct to legs icon. Do you really think there would be a difference? If so, why?
Should I be turning on the A/C to get recirc to work?

>> If, however, you activate the Auto setting or direct the airflow to defrost, the system will become automatic and will fluctuate back and forth between fresh air and recirc. <<

Yes, this I have definitely confirmed.

One thing is certain. This system is prone to error/malfunctioning.
Several users here have complained that their cars start in the morning with the recirc button ON.
I'd love to have mine do that! But it never does, no matter what state I leave my car in when I shut it down at night.

And of course on top of that, when I do press the recirc button it doesn't stay in that mode for more than a few minutes.
Old 03-09-07, 02:39 PM
NoiseFree
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by onsknht
FWIW - the 07 Camry with manual controls would allow the following...

1. Recirculation mode when using Defrost/Feet combination, it would always be "open" if just the defrost is on.

2. Pressing and holding the recirculation button in the "on position" would set it so that the car would not control the mode unless switched to defrost, so in effect the air recirculation is always closed.
Thanks Onsknht, I know your intentions are good, but your points are confusing.
When you say for 1. that >> it would always be "open" << do you mean that the actual vent to the outside air would be open?

And for 2. when you say >> so in effect the air recirculation is always closed.<< do you mean that the vent to the outside air would always be closed?
If that's the case then you are saying air recirc is ON, but the VENT is always closed, correct?
Old 03-09-07, 02:46 PM
CDN_Lexus
Pole Position

Both Auto lights must not be on in order for the instructions in my earlier post to work. Is this the case with your car?

Quick Reply: Recirculated air mode