ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

My Buy Back Experience

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-07, 07:24 PM
Argentum
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by e-man
I wouldn't sweat it Mel. There are plenty of people out there who own ES350s who haven't had any problems at all. For those who do have this specific problem, though, this thread is a great resource for getting a favorable resolution. If you don't have any of the problems that many CL members have experienced, then just sit back, relax and enjoy the new ES. It's a great car.

e
This precisely sums up my feelings about being a service advisor when an ES 350 owner sits down at my desk. I ask if they have any concerns, not once, but at least twice, and 95% of the time, they have no other concerns but their maintenance needs and odd little issues here and there (wind noise, tire pressure warning lights, Bluetooth, nav questions, What fuel should I really use?). But I will say that half of the rest have their usual "laundry list" of phantom concerns, and the other half (2-3%) have serious concerns with their ES 350. I personally take them all seriously, because number of gripes with the preceding model.

However, in comparison: The number of ES 350 complaints are comparatively few in ratio to the numerous complaints I've heard about the stubborn transmission/engine computer in the 4th-gen ES 300/330.
Old 02-17-07, 07:58 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Argentum
This precisely sums up my feelings about being a service advisor when an ES 350 owner sits down at my desk. I ask if they have any concerns, not once, but at least twice, and 95% of the time, they have no other concerns but their maintenance needs and odd little issues here and there (wind noise, tire pressure warning lights, Bluetooth, nav questions, What fuel should I really use?). But I will say that half of the rest have their usual "laundry list" of phantom concerns, and the other half (2-3%) have serious concerns with their ES 350. I personally take them all seriously, because number of gripes with the preceding model.

However, in comparison: The number of ES 350 complaints are comparatively few in ratio to the numerous complaints I've heard about the stubborn transmission/engine computer in the 4th-gen ES 300/330.
Argentum, is your experience with ES 350 owners similar to GS, RX etc. owners, or are the issues/concerns different with different models and owners?
Old 02-17-07, 08:52 PM
Argentum
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Argentum, is your experience with ES 350 owners similar to GS, RX etc. owners, or are the issues/concerns different with different models and owners?
There are similarities in the complaints/issues across the different models, and those are generally maintenance-related questions: Why do my tires wear the way they do? Why do I need brakes already? How come I have to change my oil every 5,000 miles? Do I really have to use premium fuel? How come the black paint shows swirls after a year or two? Wind noise? Shaking at highway speeds? An exception to this are the black master keys; falling apart/broken key housings have virtually become the norm on all Lexuses from 1998-2005.

When you're talking about older (past 5-6 years), or high-mileage (over 90K miles) cars, then similarities are just part of owning a car for so long. It's rare that people complain vehemently and with disdain towards out products when they've had a car that long, unless it's because of a long-running issue that wasn't resolved properly in the past.

But every model has its own peculiarities, for example, brake dust on 2IS/3GS models, or clicking noises in the dash of 4ES/1RX models. However, there's lots of one-off issues or here-and-there concerns that are only occasionally seen; enough for the seasoned technician to make a proper diagnosis, yet not enough that he's made a remedy 5 seconds after reading the repair order.

Owners are varied based on the model; each Lexus model is different because the buyer made a rational (or emotional) choice based on their priorities. An RX 300 owner's priorities are different than that of an IS 300 owner, for the most part. There's no "best" type of owner of a particular model of Lexus, either. The demands of the individual are different, or at least their priorities.

Sorry if it seems I'm dancing around the issue.
Old 02-17-07, 09:44 PM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh yes, you are dancing around the issue, big time Dash rattles of first year introduction of GS300/GS430 was a huge issue, to the point where people go through half of dozen of TSIB repairs and end up trading into GS350. Even my GS350 is not perfect, and when temperature drops to single digits, I hear some creaks coming from dash while going over the potholes and speedbumps. Break dust is a joke, and they have a new TSIB for a new brake pads. ES350 tranny issue is real, hundreds (probably over a thousand now) buybacks by Corporate Lexus is a fact (including mine previous ES350), and I believe the problem hasn't been resolved yet. Maybe due to a warmer climate and average age of ES customers in FL who will not even notice RPM jump from a cold start, this hasn't been an issue in your dealership. Its a different situation here where I live... Anyway, its pointless to talk about it. So far, only CL member "purebliss" who works for Corporate Lexus was honest with what is really going on. Everybody else are just dancing around the issues
Old 02-17-07, 09:52 PM
Argentum
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by twister
So far, only CL member "purebliss" who works for Corporate Lexus was honest with what is really going on. Everybody else are just dancing around the issues
Read post #46 again. Jeez, you think the dealerships design, build, test these cars, and then just for laughs...create a few flaws for our enjoyment?

Seriously, some people have complaints, some are verifiable, others are not. But at our dealership, if we can duplicate it, we do the right thing and repair and/or replace it. If we can't, that's the breaks.
Old 02-17-07, 10:25 PM
jjbodean
Lexus Test Driver

So far, only CL member "purebliss" who works for Corporate Lexus was honest with what is really going on.
and yet he has also made claims which have been readily debunked as well, so what are we to believe?
Old 02-18-07, 07:00 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Oh yes, you are dancing around the issue, big time Dash rattles of first year introduction of GS300/GS430 was a huge issue, to the point where people go through half of dozen of TSIB repairs and end up trading into GS350. Even my GS350 is not perfect, and when temperature drops to single digits, I hear some creaks coming from dash while going over the potholes and speedbumps. Break dust is a joke, and they have a new TSIB for a new brake pads. ES350 tranny issue is real, hundreds (probably over a thousand now) buybacks by Corporate Lexus is a fact (including mine previous ES350), and I believe the problem hasn't been resolved yet. Maybe due to a warmer climate and average age of ES customers in FL who will not even notice RPM jump from a cold start, this hasn't been an issue in your dealership. Its a different situation here where I live... Anyway, its pointless to talk about it. So far, only CL member "purebliss" who works for Corporate Lexus was honest with what is really going on. Everybody else are just dancing around the issues
Twister,

Trying to understand the motive behind or reason why minimizing dialogue of number of units or minimizing of number of owner complaints ends up in just about every problem thread pertaining to the ES350 you would never come up with an answer as to why it is.

Do you see repeated attempts at this on the GS thread of TSIB rattles or even IS brake dust, anyone over there attempting to minimize the number of units affected or telling those people with rattles they are the minority of all GS owners, same for IS brake dust? Would it serve any useful purpose to aid those with rattles seeking help or a resolution to hear there aren't many complaints on the issue?

There are a lot of ES350 vehicles with hosed up transmissions and as well other issues with the car. My guess is the number exceeds 10,000 vehicles depending on whose sales for the year figures you use.

Just 1 complaint per month per dealer in the US alone exceeds 2,000 vehicles as there are well over 200 Lexus dealers, 230 I believe is the closer number.

Our several polls indicate the larger figure I believe it to be. If CL was not accurate as I believe it to be on any problem an ES350 has, would we have seen the valve body yanked as useless by Lexus? Did we not see clear evidence here at CL it was not working long before it was yanked? Yet there are still these attempts to minimize the accuracy of such member owner contributions on here refelected in our polls.

Nomorees posted this, I believe, not for it to end up with minimizing attempts at supposed number of vehicles but to give us a unique approach: More or less---The minute you drop your car off first time for the flare, mail in the Lemon Law paperwork from the owner persepective of knowingly been sold a defective vehicle at time of purchase.

Side note: if so minor a number of transmissions shared by ES350 and Camry are hosed how on earth did the automotive editor of our regions largest newspaper statistically end up reviewing a 07 Camry with a hosed up transmission and include it in his review
--Orlando Sentinel February 17, 2007--
"the six-speed automatic behaved oddly until the fluid warmed up."
Old 02-18-07, 07:48 AM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Always wondered about a change to a synthetic transmission fluid (Mobil One) would flow better cold versus standard transmission fluid, whose viscosity needs to get warmed up to flow into the "nooks and crannies" of the transaxle system. The synthetic would flow immediately when cold.
Old 02-18-07, 10:49 AM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

@Argentum and jjbodean: In no way am I blaming your for the problems. You guys didn't design these cars, you represent Lexus and serve at the front end selling and servicing these cars. What I'm saying that in your posts everything seems to be OK, just a minor usual complaints which is common with any new car. Than I go to my dealership where I'm friends with a service manager, and I hear that ES350 tranny flare has been the biggest headache, even worse than dash rattles with other Lexus vehicles. And, I have some inside info the same is with a lot of other dealerships in NJ/NY/MA area. On the other hand, Purebliss made some detailed references about oil leaks and computer problems, as well as how Corporate Lexus like to play games with "unfavorable" dealerships by hitting them where it hurts with car allocations or "loosing" orders. You can't make this stuff up. WTF?!?!? I don't even know what to think now. At this point, I only trust my dealership and how open they were with problems and making it right to fix it. Everything else I read in here from other dealership reps and some CL moderators is simply a "nice try" to downplay the problem in their "dance" around it
Old 02-18-07, 11:32 AM
jjbodean
Lexus Test Driver

twister - i can only wonder how much of what purebliss is factual. he made claims regarding a stop of production of the gs model which i was able to debunk fairly quickly. i wonder exactly how much of what he claims is accurate. one must consider the source. once you make false claims in an attempt to throw things into a negative light, your credibility is tarnished in my opinion.
Old 02-18-07, 07:58 PM
2007es350
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jjbodean
once you make false claims in an attempt to throw things into a negative light, your credibility is tarnished in my opinion.
this rationale also cuts both ways. the "lexus can do no wrong" approach should also be discounted as well.
Old 02-18-07, 08:04 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by 2007es350
this rationale also cuts both ways. the "lexus can do no wrong" approach should also be discounted as well.
Good point, but let's be sure that everyone reading this and other threads knows that this post is not directed at jjbodean. Notwithstanding the fact that he works for a Lexus dealership, he has been completely objective and reasonable in all of his posts. And I have no stake in this at all. I own a 99 GS400.
Old 02-23-07, 02:28 PM
rocco
Driver School Candidate

What dealer in NJ. I have the same problem
Old 05-04-20, 05:37 PM
Andeeo11
Driver School Candidate

Default Would you be willing to share your lemon law letter?

Originally Posted by NoMoreES
First, I want to thank everyone that posted any item pertaining to the transmission issue. Without this information I truly believe that I would have never got Lexus to buy-back my car. While I never posted before, I feel that I should, in case the approach I used can benefit anyone else.

I am one of those that think if you spend $38,000 on a car, you should not have to settle for one that had a known defect when it was sold to you.

My vehicle was purchased October 2006, build date September 2006.

I won’t bore you with the details of my dealings with the dealership’s service department, the service manager (oops, he never had the time to call me so I never dealt with him!!), the dealership’s general manager, or Lexus customer satisfaction at the 800 number, only to say that I think I encountered everyone’s negative postings in my contact with them.

I will also say that a video of your flare is your greatest weapon. They stop giving you bull when they see it. (I bought a one-time use video camera for $30, plus $12 to put on DVD, from CVS pharmacy and it did just fine).

Early in the process I decided I would pursue the Massachusetts Lemon Law as soon as I was eligible. I saw it as an opportunity to expand my options, and I did not see that it as requiring me to do anything further, unless I opted to.

In all letters and conversations with Lexus I referred to the transmission defect as being present when the vehicle was manufactured and known to Lexus at the time they sold the vehicle to me. I wanted them to know I was aware that this was not a random defect I was dealing with.

I became eligible to send a required letter even before the transmission was replaced, and did so. The service department replaced the transmission while the certified letters were in transit to Lexus in California and a copy to the dealership (even though I verbally told them not to until Lexus told them to). Because of this possible unfair and deceptive act of the dealership, I thought I would have to start the whole process over again, because Lexus was possibly never given a valid opportunity to fix required under my state’s lemon law.

Lexus did promptly acknowledge receipt of the lemon law letter. They requested some very general information that I promptly mailed to them. Even before that information could have arrived to them I got a call from Lexus in New Jersey asking if I wanted a replacement or refund.

Please note that at this time I had a new transmission and it had not yet shown any flare, so under my states Lemon Law I believe I did not have any chance of recovering anything under it if I pursued the matter.

This leads me to wonder if Lexus will not take anyone seriously until they begin the lemon law process????

My thoughts are they do not want too many true “Lemons” and would rather have voluntary buy-backs, and are more likely to give you a buy-back if you make them notice you by starting a process that they must respond to.

I truly believe I would still be waiting for a call back from Lexus customer satisfaction if I did not send the lemon law letter.

Then again, maybe I was just lucky and my lemon law letter had nothing to do with it.

Don’t think this process is quick, even after I got their offer to purchase; it still took three more weeks to return the vehicle and get the check. I got a 100% refund, no discount for miles driven, all 3800 of them. They used a third party company to handle the buy-back which was done at the dealership.

Be careful if any of you are considering purchasing a used Tungsten Pearl ES350 with only 3800 miles!!!!!!!! SORRY!
Hi, would you be willng to share your Lemon Law letter?
Old 05-04-20, 06:04 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

Hi, the person you are attempting to get a response from has not been online in 13 years.