ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

My Buy Back Experience

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-07, 10:14 AM
RobF350
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

going to take a guess that you came across this site AFTER you bought the car?
Old 02-11-07, 01:05 PM
mel's-gs
Pole Position

Originally Posted by e-man
I feel your frustration Dunno. I was just trying to tell Mel that if he doesn't have any problems as of yet, there's a good chance that he won't.
I'm a she. Don't beat up on me too much, I bruise easily. Yes, I came across the site just recently. I am the prior owner of a 2000 ES, a 2003 ES and now a GS (yes, I am aware that this is the ES350 sub, but I enjoy reading all of the forums, as it's been very educational). I did not purchase another ES because of issues with the '03, and things I didn't like about the '07. I have to say, this GS purchase has been an odd experience. The way it came about is a very long story. In the end, I'm hoping to just love the car - and I have my fingers crossed that I won't have anywhere near the problems I had with the '03, especially since this is a cash purchase. Oh, and I'm switching out the run-flats.
Old 02-11-07, 01:16 PM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mel's-gs
I'm a she. Don't beat up on me too much, I bruise easily. Yes, I came across the site just recently. I am the prior owner of a 2000 ES, a 2003 ES and now a GS (yes, I am aware that this is the ES350 sub, but I enjoy reading all of the forums, as it's been very educational). I did not purchase another ES because of issues with the '03, and things I didn't like about the '07. I have to say, this GS purchase has been an odd experience. The way it came about is a very long story. In the end, I'm hoping to just love the car - and I have my fingers crossed that I won't have anywhere near the problems I had with the '03, especially since this is a cash purchase. Oh, and I'm switching out the run-flats.

Yeah e-man don't beat up on her too much

Welcome Mel
Old 02-11-07, 03:50 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

So I screwed up twice -- I assumed you were a "he" and owned an "ES350". I was wrong on both counts. Is Mel short for something (like Melanie)? In any event, welcome and congrats on the GS.
Old 02-11-07, 04:01 PM
caha14
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by NoMoreES
First, I want to thank everyone that posted any item pertaining to the transmission issue. Without this information I truly believe that I would have never got Lexus to buy-back my car. While I never posted before, I feel that I should, in case the approach I used can benefit anyone else.
Congratulations on getting to a satisfactory outcome! Hate to ask this, but given that we're in the same area, who was your dealer? It sounds like they were not particularly forthright with you, and it would be useful to know who they are, if you feel comfortable sharing.
Old 02-11-07, 06:12 PM
Frozen
Driver School Candidate

All of this makes one break out into a bit of a sweat. I've had a weird feeling ever since I bought my car. What makes matters worse is, one person from the dealership went out of his way the other day to pointedly say that he is glad he didn't sell me the car -- that the mgr. was the one who made the final deal w/me. That's a strange thing for someone to say considering I haven't had any mech. complaints or a major prob. w/the car. Dare I say, "yet?"

What was the context of your discussion? No one just comes up and says something like that, makes no sense. Any why have you had a weird feeling? ENJOY YOUR CAR!, and stop reading this website. It seems infested by folks with some strange variant of Munchausen's syndrome. I swear, some people on this forum get giddy whenever some new flaw is announced - sending them busily prodding, shaking, and doing whatever is needed to reproduce the offending results.
Old 02-11-07, 07:45 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Frozen
What was the context of your discussion? No one just comes up and says something like that, makes no sense. Any why have you had a weird feeling? ENJOY YOUR CAR!, and stop reading this website. It seems infested by folks with some strange variant of Munchausen's syndrome. I swear, some people on this forum get giddy whenever some new flaw is announced - sending them busily prodding, shaking, and doing whatever is needed to reproduce the offending results.

we're just trying to help each other out. And the forum is for open discussion.
If there's nothing wrong with your car, then good.
As soon as i get my defects worked out, I'll be able to enjoy the car again.
Old 02-12-07, 04:51 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

It seems infested by folks with some strange variant of Munchausen's syndrome. I swear, some people on this forum get giddy whenever some new flaw is announced - sending them busily prodding, shaking, and doing whatever is needed to reproduce the offending results.

The above is one perspective, though IMO a very narrow one.

You do realize these "syndrome sufferers" are part of the reason for the numerous and various TSIB releases to deal with things like windhsield tick noise, back glass tick noise, to give just two examples of a large volume. These TSIB issues come about as a direct result of proactive individuals who do not sit back and observe, they act on an issue or else there would be no TSIB for items like windshield, back glass.

People don't just usually drive up to a service advisor and announce that somewhere in the car there is a rattle, they usually pin it's location down, including description of sound and means of duplicating it and while you may not appreciate that process in posts, dealers CERTAINLY do. They want all the help they can get to deal with things like this because if they cannot, they get nailed for it in customer survey responses<---ask jjbodean about that concern among some dealers..., and as well it simply makes sense not to leave a customer in a car with something otherwise resolvable. In more and more cases, owner members come up with the cause and the remedy such as carpet squeak, but it requires sharing back and forth in threads to achieve even a DIY resolution to a legit issue or offer direct to dealer service the area in the car causing the issue.

We even have multiple transmission TSIB due to what you imply as some "syndrome sufferers" who refused to accept a transmission slipping as normal or learning, or other off-the-wall explanations early on with that issue(s) revealing itself nearly a year ago.

If you consider the above maybe you will see what dunno pointed out, we have people trying to help each other, people who did not and are doing nothing wrong to cause their problems but pay money for something that is not performing as it should.
Old 02-12-07, 05:49 AM
mel's-gs
Pole Position

I won't get into the context, but I thought it made no sense, also. That's why it was on my mind. Actually, I won't stop reading this forum. I read all of the threads particularly those about maintenance and detailing, and I've learned quite a bit on how to take care of my car. I am in no way looking for problems, believe me. After what I've been through before, I just want an ejoyable ride - in my beautiful car. Thanks for the welcome, guys.

e-man: No prob. on the he/she deal.
Old 02-12-07, 06:17 AM
static
Driver

Originally Posted by ES350Bob
The above is one perspective, though IMO a very narrow one.

You do realize these "syndrome sufferers" are part of the reason for the numerous and various TSIB releases to deal with things like windhsield tick noise, back glass tick noise, to give just two examples of a large volume. These TSIB issues come about as a direct result of proactive individuals who do not sit back and observe, they act on an issue or else there would be no TSIB for items like windshield, back glass.

People don't just usually drive up to a service advisor and announce that somewhere in the car there is a rattle, they usually pin it's location down, including description of sound and means of duplicating it and while you may not appreciate that process in posts, dealers CERTAINLY do. They want all the help they can get to deal with things like this because if they cannot, they get nailed for it in customer survey responses<---ask jjbodean about that concern among some dealers..., and as well it simply makes sense not to leave a customer in a car with something otherwise resolvable. In more and more cases, owner members come up with the cause and the remedy such as carpet squeak, but it requires sharing back and forth in threads to achieve even a DIY resolution to a legit issue or offer direct to dealer service the area in the car causing the issue.

We even have multiple transmission TSIB due to what you imply as some "syndrome sufferers" who refused to accept a transmission slipping as normal or learning, or other off-the-wall explanations early on with that issue(s) revealing itself nearly a year ago.

If you consider the above maybe you will see what dunno pointed out, we have people trying to help each other, people who did not and are doing nothing wrong to cause their problems but pay money for something that is not performing as it should.

While I worry that the resale value of my ES is circling the bowl, in part because of the posts on this website, what you say here is absolutely right. It's in the best interests of everyone that information is shared. Knowledge is power.
Old 02-12-07, 06:31 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by static
While I worry that the resale value of my ES is circling the bowl, in part because of the posts on this website, what you say here is absolutely right. It's in the best interests of everyone that information is shared. Knowledge is power.
Thanks static.

And resale value, trade value is the number one reason everybody needs to be aware they have a vested interest in resolution to issues, particualrly the transmission, but no less so the engine noise and wind noise which is currently usually pawned off as normal for an ES350 but which can devalue the model.

It was no handful, or few, that caused the current wholesale value, trade value and retail value to be what it is presently. That required quite a few of these to be sold at a sig discount at auto auctions no doubt those transmission buybacks, dealer trade outs to keep a customer etc., fed up owners who traded with another manufacturer at a loss, other, to cause such low figures so soon for a newly released model, and that impacts everyone who owns an ES350 and those down the line with older models too losing even more value than otherwise. Do a search to find wholesale, trade and retail values on these and you will know it is no handful involved.

I think buyback is the proper thing that should be offered those with transmission problems, absent them having to make repeated trips to service.

Any help here from or shared among our members is a blessing to that end, or for any issue no matter how minor an issue it is.
Old 02-12-07, 07:03 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by static
static, I don't think at this point, resale is anything we need to worry about on our cars. It might not a bad idea to keep an eye on it down the road though. A lot of these cars have been sold (70,000+) and there are a lot of them on the road without the major issues discussed here. I'm sure the resale values will hold up nicely, just as they have with earlier ES models.
Old 02-12-07, 07:11 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexBob2
static, I don't think at this point, resale is anything we need to worry about on our cars. It might not a bad idea to keep an eye on it down the road though. A lot of these cars have been sold (70,000+) and there are a lot of them on the road without the major issues discussed here. I'm sure the resale values will hold up nicely, just as they have with earlier ES models.
Do a search to determine the current values, IMO, known issues have already had an impact on wholesale, trade and retail values and an owners forum, forums did not cause this, it requires actual transactions to do this, not discussions about issues.
Old 02-12-07, 09:47 AM
BillP
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Nomorees - I hope you're still reading this thread. It sounds like you didn't go through the three visits to the dealer to get the tranny problem fixed. Is that the case?

Also (for the greater reading audience) it seems that Lexus' offer to by back the car without pursuing every attempt to fix it seems they are acknowledging they don't have a fix for the flair issue, or am I reading too much into their buy back?
Old 02-12-07, 10:33 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by ES350Bob
Do a search to determine the current values, IMO, known issues have already had an impact on wholesale, trade and retail values and an owners forum, forums did not cause this, it requires actual transactions to do this, not discussions about issues.
IMO, it's too early to get an accurate picture of resale values. The new model has been on the market for only about 10 months, so there's not that many being turned in on trade or coming off leases. Yes, there are some buybacks out there to be on the lookout for, but in the big picture, it will be some time before any sizeable numbers are available for resale. At that time the resale prices will be set.

Quick Reply: My Buy Back Experience