My Es 350 engine had a oil leak, Great!

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-08, 09:00 AM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by justfixit
Here is copy:
Thank you. Mine is included. I will keep an eye out for this!
Old 01-29-08, 02:15 PM
toneman
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine too...
Old 02-10-08, 06:12 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by onepointon
No, I do not mind. However, I am out of the dealership until Friday morning. It will have to be then. Sorry for the wait.

When I get back I will post up a copy of the TSIB.
one,

The guy has had his oil leak addressed but actually has more worries than before that something else may have been wrong.

He said three areas were listed on his paperwork, 2 actual gaskets and from his description of what was told him pan seal gasket and head gasket while timing chain was addressed.

I am getting it 2nd hand so may be off, but does this sound like part of the setup procedure to you to replace those while you are in there?

I said it makes sense to me that other gaskets may have also been replaced as just precaution or not wanting to reuse them when an engine is removed. Am I right or is he right to be suspicious something else had also gone wrong?
Old 02-10-08, 04:22 PM
onepointon
Intermediate

Received 150 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by ES350Bob
one,

The guy has had his oil leak addressed but actually has more worries than before that something else may have been wrong.

He said three areas were listed on his paperwork, 2 actual gaskets and from his description of what was told him pan seal gasket and head gasket while timing chain was addressed.

I am getting it 2nd hand so may be off, but does this sound like part of the setup procedure to you to replace those while you are in there?

I said it makes sense to me that other gaskets may have also been replaced as just precaution or not wanting to reuse them when an engine is removed. Am I right or is he right to be suspicious something else had also gone wrong?

Hm.. I saw there they had removed the radiator and thought that was interesting as I do not do that. Although, you do need to drain the coolant and evacuate the A/C system.

I believe the part's description for the valve cover gaskets are "Cylinder head cover - Gasket", which can be mistaken for a head gasket. There should be no reason for removing the cylinder head if it is the timing cover leak. You do need to remove the valve covers to remove the timing cover which would justify replacing those gaskets.

Most all of the Lexus (toyota) engines have an "upper" AND "lower" oil pan. It is required to remove both of them as well so that you can remove the timing cover. I would have to see the invoice, but I would guess that everything listed there should be legit for the timing cover reseal.
Old 02-10-08, 04:44 PM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by onepointon
Hm.. I saw there they had removed the radiator and thought that was interesting as I do not do that. Although, you do need to drain the coolant and evacuate the A/C system.

I believe the part's description for the valve cover gaskets are "Cylinder head cover - Gasket", which can be mistaken for a head gasket. There should be no reason for removing the cylinder head if it is the timing cover leak. You do need to remove the valve covers to remove the timing cover which would justify replacing those gaskets.

Most all of the Lexus (toyota) engines have an "upper" AND "lower" oil pan. It is required to remove both of them as well so that you can remove the timing cover. I would have to see the invoice, but I would guess that everything listed there should be legit for the timing cover reseal.
one,

Thanks,

your cylinder head cover misinterpreted as head gasket possibility and 2 pan seem to meet what he was told.
Old 08-14-09, 12:30 PM
yixinli2
Driver School Candidate

Default 07 lexus ES 350 engine leakage

My 07 lexus ES350 has 72k miles on it. Recently I noticed oil leakage. I took the car to a local garage for inspection and I was told it was the power steering pump leakage. But after take offf the power steering pump, they found that acrually the leakage was from the engine (between the cynlinder head and timing chain cover).

I think the leakage is exactly like someone described here. I have two questions, 1) how long it takes for the technician to fix it (the cost). 2)the possibility to get the dealer assistant (full or partial cost) since the car just passes 70 k miles. Thank you in advance for any response.

Last edited by yixinli2; 08-14-09 at 01:27 PM.
Old 10-28-11, 01:32 AM
Lextech79
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by yixinli2
My 07 lexus ES350 has 72k miles on it. Recently I noticed oil leakage. I took the car to a local garage for inspection and I was told it was the power steering pump leakage. But after take offf the power steering pump, they found that acrually the leakage was from the engine (between the cynlinder head and timing chain cover).

I think the leakage is exactly like someone described here. I have two questions, 1) how long it takes for the technician to fix it (the cost). 2)the possibility to get the dealer assistant (full or partial cost) since the car just passes 70 k miles. Thank you in advance for any response.
Under warranty the job pays 11 hours. A good tech can get it done in about six hours. It should be covered under power train warranty. The complete engine and trans needs to be dropped with the sub frame in order to do the job. On the IS and GS the job can be done in the vehicle without dropping the motor. This oil leak is common with the 3.5 liter engine and is due to a slight indention where the head and engine block meet. In other words because the two mating surfaces are not flush, in time as the sealant that is used in the factory gets old and worn due to heat the engine will start to leak in between the head and block. on the ES and RX it is more prominent because the engine is transverse and sits at an angle. At first it will appear to be a power steering pump leak, but any Lexus tech can tell the difference between the two oils by feel and smell.
Old 10-28-11, 06:04 AM
NJLEXES
Intermediate

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

I had the same leak on my 07 es350 when I owned it. My leak was earlier mileage wise.
It was an 6/06 build and the mileage was around 52k.

It was definitely covered under powertrain warranty. Keep in mind there was a TSB on it....so although you seem to be over the warranty mileage for powertrain (72k), hopefully they can help you out.

When I had mine done, the dealer swapped out the water pump too since they already access to the area.
You might want to consider having that done too to save having to get the car ripped apart again for a leaky water pump.
Old 10-28-11, 08:47 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,831 Likes on 1,293 Posts

Originally Posted by Lextech79
Under warranty the job pays 11 hours. A good tech can get it done in about six hours. It should be covered under power train warranty. The complete engine and trans needs to be dropped with the sub frame in order to do the job. On the IS and GS the job can be done in the vehicle without dropping the motor. This oil leak is common with the 3.5 liter engine and is due to a slight indention where the head and engine block meet. In other words because the two mating surfaces are not flush, in time as the sealant that is used in the factory gets old and worn due to heat the engine will start to leak in between the head and block. on the ES and RX it is more prominent because the engine is transverse and sits at an angle. At first it will appear to be a power steering pump leak, but any Lexus tech can tell the difference between the two oils by feel and smell.
You brought a 2+ year old thread back from the dead

Lou
Old 12-18-15, 05:45 AM
cyclehead
Pit Crew

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

Old threads still have value. I was glad to find this info to help a friend with her fresh oil leak. Unfortunately she just did water pump, and power steering pump. Now the timing cover leak appears!$# She'll likely sell the car, she's fed up with the large repair bills that keep on coming.
Old 12-18-15, 08:16 AM
ESh
Lead Lap

Received 855 Likes on 650 Posts

Try with a bottle od Lucas stop leak, or Bar's.
Old 12-20-15, 10:33 PM
jednav
Driver

had the same leak from my 07 rx which has the same engine (350). there is a tsb on the subject. dealer shouldered 40 per cent of cost to repair. i was still out 1300 for this major repair which had the engine pulled out and all attendant parts. i hope my 2011 es will not suffer the same fate.

Last edited by jednav; 12-21-15 at 07:51 AM.
Old 12-22-15, 01:57 AM
chuyrobles
Instructor

Received 217 Likes on 176 Posts

Our 07 ES350 had a very small leak from timing cover. Every 5K miles, I would clean up side of engine where it gummed up. Oil never leaked to the ground. At about 130K I switched to a 10/30 weight oil. Car has 170K and oil no longer leaks. Could just be a coincidence.
Old 03-18-17, 04:09 AM
dta20502
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by chuyrobles
Our 07 ES350 had a very small leak from timing cover. Every 5K miles, I would clean up side of engine where it gummed up. Oil never leaked to the ground. At about 130K I switched to a 10/30 weight oil. Car has 170K and oil no longer leaks. Could just be a coincidence.
Mine 08 ES350 has same problem, small oil leak by the steering pump close to the belt but never to the ground! What kind of oil did you use to fix it?
Old 03-18-17, 04:11 AM
dta20502
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dta20502
Mine 08 ES350 has same problem, small oil leak by the steering pump close to the belt but never to the ground! What kind of oil did you use to fix it?
And I live in Torrance California.

Quick Reply: My Es 350 engine had a oil leak, Great!