ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

My Es 350 engine had a oil leak, Great!

Old 02-10-07, 12:16 AM
wizhill
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Me too...

Originally Posted by savon
Last friday I noticed 2 drops of oil in my garage floor. I went under car and noticed under passenger side is oily. oil pan and filter were clean. I took it to dealership. Today, I got my car back. They claim timing chain cover had poor fit?? I looked on the invoice I see items that were used are gaskets for head cylinder. Does it make sense to you? they have also changed coolant. They have done a very dirty job, I saw dried coolant all over the place. I still havent driven the car for a long period, so I dont know if everything is going to be ok. I was worried about transmission and I never thought engine will be a problem. I dont have a lot of confidance in my car any more. I have driven only japanese cars toyota and honda's last 20 years and I never thought I am going to have a major mechanical problem with a brand new car especialy my first lexus. It is a nice car and I like it, but one more problem with this car and I am out. It is not worth the hassle and headache. By the way, my car has only 7500 miles on it and it is 04/06 built.
Hey Savon,

My ES also has about 7500 miles, and they just fixed this same problem on mine. They pulled the engine and resealed the timing belt cover. ::sigh:: This is after my transmission failed, my navigation failed twice (taking out all climate control with it), a strut leaked out all over my garage floor, etc. I sent a letter to Lexus asking them to replace the car, and they've agreed to do so. But now, after reading the posts from purebliss, I'm worried that my replacement may have the same problem. This stinks.
Old 02-10-07, 02:11 AM
savon
Rookie

Originally Posted by wizhill
Hey Savon,

My ES also has about 7500 miles, and they just fixed this same problem on mine. They pulled the engine and resealed the timing belt cover. ::sigh:: This is after my transmission failed, my navigation failed twice (taking out all climate control with it), a strut leaked out all over my garage floor, etc. I sent a letter to Lexus asking them to replace the car, and they've agreed to do so. But now, after reading the posts from purebliss, I'm worried that my replacement may have the same problem. This stinks.
I understand what you are saying after all that has happened to your car. I personally have lost confidence driving my car for long trips. I am going to wait until they address or fix these issues before I replace it with new one (if I decide to go with Lexus). I think you shoud be happy they are replacing your car without running you around. Just cross your fingers, there isnt that much you can do at this point. Who knew, after so many years of high quality built cars, toyota (especially lexus) would screw up so big.
Old 02-10-07, 05:28 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Crawled under the car this am and the spot I'm seeing seems positioned right under AC condensate line as I had thought and the only oily subtance I came across was on one black metal strut attached to engine, minor amount of oil which may have happened when they filled it, last night the neighbor insisted again I have an oil leak from what he had seen. I'll just keep an eye on it, but for now seems as though if there is one it is VERY minor, if not it is what I had believed, AC condensate line. Thanks Savon, Wiz and pure for bringing it to our attention.
Old 02-10-07, 06:15 AM
jjbodean
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ES350Bob
pure,

Just ignore the cry fire claims,
i called bs on the gs350 thread because purebliss also claims there had been a production stop on the model, which i know for a fact is not the case. when someone make claims like that that i can easily debunk it tends to hurt the credibility of other claims made in the same thread. the jury is still out on this issue for sure.

still waiting for an answer from purebliss regarding his capacity at lexus. he stated he works for corporate - wish he would elaborate on this....
Old 02-10-07, 06:24 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jjbodean
i called bs on the gs350 thread because purebliss also claims there had been a production stop on the model, which i know for a fact is not the case. when someone make claims like that that i can easily debunk it tends to hurt the credibility of other claims made in the same thread. the jury is still out on this issue for sure.

still waiting for an answer from purebliss regarding his capacity at lexus. he stated he works for corporate - wish he would elaborate on this....

jj,

If he directly answered your question about his capacity he'd very likely get fired, stop and think about it.

As for the stop production, he has backed off that somewhat but that is not to say he was not told by others as he stated that which caused the misinformation if it is misinformation rather than he himself making up something.

Oddly and very revealing, days after his GS thread, we now have 2 ES owners reporting they experienced exactly what he was warning about.

With your contacts, maybe you could directly ask if there is a kit coming out to address this chain cover which to me seems more important.
Old 02-10-07, 07:14 AM
static
Driver

Oil getting into Coolant system? Isn't it MUCH worse if coolant gets into the oil and if one is possible, isn't the opposite also possible?

I lost an engine in a Blazer this way (coolant in the oil).
Old 02-10-07, 07:19 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by static
Oil getting into Coolant system? Isn't it MUCH worse if coolant gets into the oil and if one is possible, isn't the opposite also possible?

I lost an engine in a Blazer this way (coolant in the oil).

Static,

I don't think it is the case the coolant is getting into the oil or the other way around, it is just that they need to pull the engine to fix this, so there will be a coolant loss doing this, or as some may be doing, removing the radiator to access this issue and repair it, same thing, loss of coolant when removing the radiator.
Old 02-12-07, 09:30 AM
wizhill
Driver School Candidate

Default It was minor...

Originally Posted by ES350Bob
Crawled under the car this am and the spot I'm seeing seems positioned right under AC condensate line as I had thought and the only oily subtance I came across was on one black metal strut attached to engine, minor amount of oil which may have happened when they filled it, last night the neighbor insisted again I have an oil leak from what he had seen. I'll just keep an eye on it, but for now seems as though if there is one it is VERY minor, if not it is what I had believed, AC condensate line. Thanks Savon, Wiz and pure for bringing it to our attention.
Hey Bob, the leak I had was very minor. If driven daily and parked overnight there was never a drop. On several occassions when the car sat for 3-5 days without being driven was when I'd notice quarter-sized oil spots. A very minor problem, agreed, but troubling never the less for any new car, no less a Lexus.
Old 02-12-07, 10:21 AM
onsknht
Pole Position

FWIW - - An oil leak from the timing chain cover which is a part that covers the front of the cylinder head could have required removal of the head to machine/grind down a piece of flashing or a recess to add sealant... Removal of the head always requires replacement of the gasket. This gasket seals the head to the block and coolant passes through the head and the block. The coolant would have needed to be drained in order to remove the head.
Old 02-12-07, 02:27 PM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by wizhill
Hey Bob, the leak I had was very minor. If driven daily and parked overnight there was never a drop. On several occassions when the car sat for 3-5 days without being driven was when I'd notice quarter-sized oil spots. A very minor problem, agreed, but troubling never the less for any new car, no less a Lexus.
wiz,

Thanks, I will be sure and keep an eye on it esp. since you describe it is that small when showing after sitting a few days.

What I saw so far, other than the neighbor claiming "AC condensate spots dry--- this doesn't--" to stir me up I guess....LOL..., is what looks like 1 large drop at best dribbled down a flat black strut, part of motor mount structure I believe that allows engine to pivot under stress.

Other than that no oil at all anywhere else showing up.
Old 02-17-07, 12:51 PM
macaide
Driver School Candidate

I don't know if this helps anyone or if the 07 Camry V6 has the same engine as the new ES350, but I just took my 07 Camry V6 in for its first 5,000 mile oil change and was told then of an oil leak. I was told the front seal had to be replaced. I haven't picked the car back up yet, but hope this is the end of my problems.
Old 02-19-07, 10:33 PM
John5000
Driver School Candidate

Default Oil Leak TSB

Read it and weep, Lexus has released the rumored oil leak TSB for the GS and IS. I noticed some oil on the front of my IS350 motor during the last oil change, thought I was just imagining things. This is like my third major issue with this car, I am starting to get P*SSED!!!

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forum...D&page=2&pp=30

EG001-07 GR-FSE SERIES ENGINE OIL LEAK
Old 02-19-07, 11:31 PM
wanderer99
Lead Lap

wizhill - with a new trans, engine pulled and multiple nav failures amongst other things... man, I feel for you. How do you feel about getting another ES?

Savon - I hear you about lost confidence. I lost confidence in my car months ago, and that was before my first trans even had the TSIB valve body fiasco installed. If you lose confidence in the car, it doesn't help any when the manufacturer insists on installing a TSIB fix into your car that they know doesn't work.

John5000 - thanks for the TSIB link. This is definitely an issue now.

Purebliss - thanks for posting things as you see and hear about them. Sure, they're embarassing to Lexus but I think we have a right to know. Your information is greatly appreciated.

jjbodean - thanks for weighing in on the other side of the equation, it's nice to try and keep a balance. I'm always interested in what you write from the Dealer perspective. If I was a dealer, I'd be sweating all this stuff right now from a quality angle. Are the dealers voicing concerns to Lexus about the apparent quality slips this year?

The good news from all this (if there is any) is that some people in Lexus must have been fired by now. They must have been - they've been taking major QA shortcuts. If they haven't been fired, then things are only going to go further downhill as those same people continue to make the same decisions. Those decisions have led us to where we are today. I can't believe this is how Lexus the manufacturing company is in 2007. I guess 2008 can only get better from here!
Old 02-20-07, 04:40 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

John5000,

Thanks for posting the TSIB link and welcome to the forum!

I noticed it indicates it pertains to 06 models even though we have already had several reports it involves 07 models too. Lexus is behind on this issue for 07 models.

Wanderer,

I do not believe the right people at Toyota/Lexus have been fired and likely will not be for some time as unlike a private company it can take years to get rid of bad apples in a public company. Our first clue of progress for owners will be when our CL members report they are offered their money back first trip to dealer service for the transmission, until then, the wrong people are still in charge at Toyota/Lexus.
Old 02-20-07, 07:54 AM
GS2006
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by wanderer99
wizhillAre the dealers voicing concerns to Lexus about the apparent quality slips this year?

The good news from all this (if there is any) is that some people in Lexus must have been fired by now. They must have been - they've been taking major QA shortcuts. If they haven't been fired, then things are only going to go further downhill as those same people continue to make the same decisions. Those decisions have led us to where we are today. I can't believe this is how Lexus the manufacturing company is in 2007. I guess 2008 can only get better from here!
Even the CEO expressed concern about QA as they have grown. CEO new this was comming

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My Es 350 engine had a oil leak, Great!