ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Little-known behaviors

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-07, 11:02 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Lex13
Speaking of quirks, what the heck is that little ridge inside the glovebox? It only seems to eat up much needed space.

Also, I may be the last owner to find it, but there's a great little sliding shelf inside the console that's just right for holding a cell phone or mp3 player.
I think there is an insert area in the there to hold the owners manual. Could that be it?
Old 03-04-07, 05:46 PM
onsknht
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've recently resolved a couple "not in the manual" quirks with my Honda product... Notably this isn't directly a Lexus feature, but I've been scratching my head wondering why the auto door lock feature sometimes doesn't work on the TL.

Apparently, I sometimes engage the shift lever with the door still open so it doesn't lock the doors... Same thing happened on the Clamry and the ES. The difference being that Toyota/Lexus will "re-lock" the door when it is closed, the Honda does not.

+1 for Toyota

The other one was, the Honda lights are rigged to the fob and the driver's door... Unlocking turns them on so does opening only the driver's door. Occasionally I noticed the lights wouldn't come on when I hit the key fob... Turns out, if the doors weren't locked to begin with, the lights won't come on.

-15 for the Honda lighting control(s), besides the above I hate the auto-off only feature!

Finally, there was prior mention about the passenger window locks... I've noticed mostly US cars allow the driver's controls to still operate while the passenger controls are locked... It has never worked this way on any Toyota product I can recall. Which leads me to a handy feature on the Honda product that the Toyota didn't have. All the switches are lit when unlocked including the passenger switches, when the lock is on all of the passenger switch lights go out including the 3 switches in the driver's control, pretty cool.
Old 03-04-07, 07:12 PM
psp
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also, I may be the last owner to find it, but there's a great little sliding shelf inside the console that's just right for holding a cell phone or mp3 player.
Ohhh....Thanks Lex13. I didn't know about it either.

Also, someone asked me about the salesman explaining how to lock the doors with the fob. Well, he was moving his lips so I figured he was lying and completely tuned him out. Sorry JJ but I couldn't help myself.
Old 03-04-07, 07:21 PM
07LexusGuy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by onsknht
Finally, there was prior mention about the passenger window locks... I've noticed mostly US cars allow the driver's controls to still operate while the passenger controls are locked... It has never worked this way on any Toyota product I can recall. Which leads me to a handy feature on the Honda product that the Toyota didn't have. All the switches are lit when unlocked including the passenger switches, when the lock is on all of the passenger switch lights go out including the 3 switches in the driver's control, pretty cool.
Not true, my '93, '98, '05 Camry and the '07 ES all does that -- When putting the window lock on, all three windows will not operate but the driver is still free to do so. And on the current '07 ES, when the window lock is on, all three lights corresponding to the other three windows are turned off, while the driver's light switch is on (just as you describe). I found this out when I locked the windows and one night came out to be shocked that my lights were out - took me a few minutes to realize it.
Old 03-04-07, 09:55 PM
onsknht
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 07LexusGuy
Not true, my '93, '98, '05 Camry and the '07 ES all does that -- When putting the window lock on, all three windows will not operate but the driver is still free to do so. And on the current '07 ES, when the window lock is on, all three lights corresponding to the other three windows are turned off, while the driver's light switch is on (just as you describe). I found this out when I locked the windows and one night came out to be shocked that my lights were out - took me a few minutes to realize it.
No, not the driver's window, the operation of the passenger windows from the driver's switch panel... On some cars even though the passenger can't open the window the driver still can without unlocking the lockout.

I stand corrected on the ES if the illumination works that way... Never did on Toyota's I've had with window lockout and lighted switches, now I'm thinking maybe I never noticed??? The Honda lighted switches are bright compared to Toyota.
Old 03-04-07, 10:28 PM
07LexusGuy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by onsknht
No, not the driver's window, the operation of the passenger windows from the driver's switch panel... On some cars even though the passenger can't open the window the driver still can without unlocking the lockout.

I stand corrected on the ES if the illumination works that way... Never did on Toyota's I've had with window lockout and lighted switches, now I'm thinking maybe I never noticed??? The Honda lighted switches are bright compared to Toyota.
Oh I see, I missunderstood the passenger control from the driver side part

Yah, I agree though - the switch lights are a bit dim. And why can't they make all the switche colors in the Camry/ES WHITE color instead of GREEN? It's annoying when the spedo and nav screens are white but the surrounding buttons are green. The RX has white light on its dash and steering buttons - matches up very nicely! Sorry... I went a bit off topic there
Old 03-05-07, 11:55 AM
dreyfus

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

You can't open the trunk with the dash button if you're moving, but you can open the fuel door.

So I guess you can't load groceries while driving but you can refuel.
Old 03-05-07, 12:11 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by dreyfus
You can't open the trunk with the dash button if you're moving, but you can open the fuel door.

So I guess you can't load groceries while driving but you can refuel.
That's good for NASCAR drivers. You can pop open the fuel door as you roll into the pit.
Old 03-11-07, 02:45 PM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Today, I got tired of the front seat headrests rising up as there is no locking of them in the down position. I added some superglue to the metal risers, lowered into place and now have headrests that are locked into place, just like the rest of my fleet.
Old 03-11-07, 03:37 PM
static
Driver

Default Windshield Wipers

I found this out from the local Service Dept, I couldn't find anything about it in the manual.

The wipers can be set into another position that helps to deal with snow and ice on the windshield. They are raised from their normally fully retracted position under the hood to about 1 inch or so above it.

To put them into this positiion, from the passenger side, grab both wipers near the center and rotate them upward, after an inch or so they will click into another position and stay there.

From this position, you can flip the wipers up if you are anticipating a lot of snow while you're parked, or clean them. You can't flip them up in the normal position without scratching the paint on the hood.

Last edited by static; 03-11-07 at 03:39 PM. Reason: correction
Old 03-11-07, 06:30 PM
NoiseFree
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Speaking of quirks, what the heck is that little ridge inside the glovebox? It only seems to eat up much needed space.

Speaking of sliding shelfs and storage areas...

Today I was messing around inside my 350 in the garage and discovered a neat storage area for portfolios/file folders/magazines/papers.

If you're like me and never use the moonroof (I wish it were an option) you can stuff papers and such upstairs, after you've used up the storage area in back of the front seats.

Just don't store any ice cream or bananas up there
Old 03-11-07, 10:57 PM
07LexusGuy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by static
I found this out from the local Service Dept, I couldn't find anything about it in the manual.

The wipers can be set into another position that helps to deal with snow and ice on the windshield. They are raised from their normally fully retracted position under the hood to about 1 inch or so above it.

To put them into this positiion, from the passenger side, grab both wipers near the center and rotate them upward, after an inch or so they will click into another position and stay there.

From this position, you can flip the wipers up if you are anticipating a lot of snow while you're parked, or clean them. You can't flip them up in the normal position without scratching the paint on the hood.
Actually, this is in the manual on page 150 under section 2-5 with the heading called "Shifting the windshield wiper position."
Old 03-13-07, 02:05 PM
sarge43
Driver

Originally Posted by static

Originally Posted by 07LexusGuy
Actually, this is in the manual on page 150 under section 2-5 with the heading called "Shifting the windshield wiper position."
Actually this is a good thing to do when you're going to a venue where someone may be putting flyers or other junk on your windshield using the wipers. There've been numerous comments on this forum about people who got the paint chipped on the edges of the hood by persons lifting the wiper blades (or even doing it themselves while washing the car, cleaning the windows, etc.). It's such a simple (though s/h/b unnecessary if originally designed properly by Lexus) preventative step to take.

I can see having winter and non winter modes for functionality but having the normal position be a place that results in paint chipping is not good design. My $.02.
Old 03-13-07, 07:45 PM
psp
Pole Position

Originally Posted by garsarno
Today, I got tired of the front seat headrests rising up as there is no locking of them in the down position. I added some superglue to the metal risers, lowered into place and now have headrests that are locked into place, just like the rest of my fleet.
Just the kind of thing I want to do to a $40,000 car. Sounds kind of suburban, township, community, hamlet, sub-development, or one of those "housing" terms to me.
Old 03-13-07, 07:51 PM
psp
Pole Position

Originally Posted by NoiseFree
Speaking of sliding shelfs and storage areas...

Today I was messing around inside my 350 in the garage and discovered a neat storage area for portfolios/file folders/magazines/papers.

If you're like me and never use the moonroof (I wish it were an option) you can stuff papers and such upstairs, after you've used up the storage area in back of the front seats.

Just don't store any ice cream or bananas up there
Garsarno: after reading the above I absolutely apologize.

What's next, heating coffee or making toasted cheese sandwiches on the exhaust manifold on the way to work?

When I was 16 I fermented a bottle of Welches in the glove box of my 69 Dodge Dart Swinger (225, slant 6) over the summer; that was no tate of luxury. Please, this is still a Lexus.

Quick Reply: Little-known behaviors