ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Little-known behaviors

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-07, 03:26 PM
toneman
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1seeker1
I have not looked this up in the manual but why can't the driver roll down the passenger or rear windows with the lock windows button engaged? I thought this button was supposed to limit everyone else's control over the windows, not the driver's ability??? My old car acted as I thought the lock out function would - complete driver control but no function to passengers. Am I missing something?
I guess one could argue that if the lockout is meant to prevent any of the passengers from opening their windows, then it could be assumed that the driver does not want those windows opened at all when/while there are passengers sitting next to them...thus, under those circumstances there would be no logical reason for the driver to open any of those windows (even) while the lockout is engaged.

However, I understand where you're coming from--my Denali has window lockouts but it still allows the driver to open/close any of the windows from the driver's side window control panel even if lockout is engaged...go figure.
Old 02-02-07, 03:48 PM
toneman
Lead Lap

Don't know if the following qualify, or perhaps it's just something I doing wrong or incorrectly...but:

--If, after shutting off the engine, I (immediately) open the driver's side door to exit the vehicle before the vehicle completely retracts the steering wheel...the car will emit that high-pitched beep (the one that lets you know if you closed the doors w/ the engine running) for quite some time. Whether this is by design or perhaps something I'm not doing correctly, I dunno...but IMHO it is annoying, to say the least.

--Assuming that both driver 1 and 2 memory seat/steering wheel positioning have been already programmed in memory and linked to the respective remotes...when the vehicle is in one of the two memory settings (e.g., say it is currently in driver 2 setting prior to my approaching the vehicle), then if I--with the driver 1 fob in hand/pocket--unlock/open any door other than the driver's door by grabbing the door handle (IOW I don't use the remote to unlock the door), then subsequently unlock/open the driver's door using the same method...I find that the driver's seat and steering wheel do not automatically return to driver 1 settings like they normally (otherwise) do, had I opened the driver's door first. Although each of the two memory settings do indeed have distinct settings programmed--in all fairness, I do not know if perhaps my wife might have manually adjusted the seat position from its preset driver 2 setting for whatever reason upon entering the vehicle...could it be that maybe making manual adjustments from a preset setting causes this "glitch" to occur? I guess I'll have to experiment...not unless of course someone already knows the answer to this.
Old 02-02-07, 07:36 PM
1seeker1
Rookie

Originally Posted by toneman
I guess one could argue that if the lockout is meant to prevent any of the passengers from opening their windows, then it could be assumed that the driver does not want those windows opened at all when/while there are passengers sitting next to them...thus, under those circumstances there would be no logical reason for the driver to open any of those windows (even) while the lockout is engaged.

However, I understand where you're coming from--my Denali has window lockouts but it still allows the driver to open/close any of the windows from the driver's side window control panel even if lockout is engaged...go figure.
Its more of an anti-kid feature. You don't want want your kids playing with the window controls but if you want to open or shut the passenger window and leave your kids locked out of this ability, you should be able to do it. It should be as it is on the Denali.
Old 02-03-07, 05:48 PM
osokuko
Pole Position

I don’t know if this is common knowledge – when returning to my locked car, if I touch the drivers door handle, only the drivers door unlocks and the other doors remain locked. Now if returning to the car with my wife and instead of touching the drivers door first I touch one of the rear door handles first all doors unlock. That’s a pretty cool feature.
Old 02-05-07, 02:24 PM
psp
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK, I got another one.

This morning I took my kids to school and parked in the lot. About 15 minutes later, when I came back to the car the driver side rear door was open and a woman was looking through my back seat. I said, "Excuse me, may I help you?" She said she was just getting something out of the back seat. There was nothing in the back seat. She had a Lexus key but actually wanted the LX470 next to my car. Is it possible that the LX key would open my ES?

I'm never gonna trust the auto lock again!

Last edited by psp; 02-05-07 at 02:29 PM.
Old 02-05-07, 02:31 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by psp
OK, I got another one.

This morning I took my kids to school and parked in the lot. About 15 minutes later, when I came back to the camr the driver side rear door was open and a woman was looking through my back seat. I said, "Excuse me, may I help you?" She said she was just getting something out of the back seat. There was nothing in the back seat. She had a Lexus key but actually wanted the LX470 next to my car. Is it possible that the LX key would open my ES?

I'm never gonna trust the auto lock again!
Peter, that's weird. Two questions. 1. How did she mistake your ES for an LX 470 (didn't she realize one is a mid size car & the other a large SUV)? I hope it was at least the same color as your car. 2. Are you sure that you locked your car when you left?
Old 02-06-07, 03:27 PM
toneman
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Peter, that's weird. Two questions. 1. How did she mistake your ES for an LX 470 (didn't she realize one is a mid size car & the other a large SUV)?
I know I would have asked her...pretty bluntly, I might add.
Old 02-06-07, 03:47 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

I get your drift....Would your question contain the letter "f".
Old 02-06-07, 03:48 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Would your question to her contain the letter "f"??
Old 02-06-07, 07:57 PM
psp
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good evening.

I guess she is one of the moms or a TA at the school (it's an elementary school). Sorry, but you just can't use that kind of language near an elementary school, around moms and kids. Besides, she was one of those 30 something blonds, nicely dressed and made up, good jewelry, proper shoes, etc. She might be on the PTA and my wife is on the PTA -- I would never hear the end of that. It was a Lexus, what did she know?

I thought that my car locks automatically after I walk away for a minute. I just checked the owners manual again. Wow, I am lucky to still have this car. You gotta push the little black button on the drivers door handle to lock the doors. Or you gotta lock it with the fob. Obviously I must live in a low crime rate area. I must have left this car unlocked hundreds of times. DVD headrests, iPod in the glove compartment, handicapped placard sometimes (worth their weight in gold in California).

Ya live and learn!
Old 02-07-07, 12:00 AM
Celibon
Driver

Originally Posted by psp
I thought that my car locks automatically after I walk away for a minute. I just checked the owners manual again. Wow, I am lucky to still have this car. You gotta push the little black button on the drivers door handle to lock the doors. Or you gotta lock it with the fob. Obviously I must live in a low crime rate area. I must have left this car unlocked hundreds of times. DVD headrests, iPod in the glove compartment, handicapped placard sometimes (worth their weight in gold in California).

Ya live and learn!
Wow, I don't know what to say... You ARE really lucky! But didn't your sales guy show you how to use the key?
Old 02-09-07, 09:23 AM
toneman
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Would your question to her contain the letter "f"??
Do you mean something along the lines of, "Are you being forgetful as to which vehicle happens to be yours?"...or something like, "What the fudge are you doing inside my car?"
Old 02-09-07, 09:37 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Do you mean something along the lines of, "Are you being forgetful as to which vehicle happens to be yours?"...or something like, "What the fudge are you doing inside my car?"
Yes, something along those lines...
Old 02-09-07, 09:42 AM
toneman
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by psp
Good evening.

I guess she is one of the moms or a TA at the school (it's an elementary school). Sorry, but you just can't use that kind of language near an elementary school, around moms and kids.
Ya...not that I would do something like that or have been guilty of doing so...but your comment reminded me of an incident I was involved in--I was in the school drop-off area dropping off my son when this lady (and I use that term loosely, as you'll soon find out) pulls up alongside my vehicle (mind you--by doing so she essentially winds up blocking other vehicles from being able to drive through), and accuses me of preventing her from moving over into my lane on a surface street near the school...throwing in an F-bomb and a couple of other profanities...w/ all kinds of grade-school kids--including my son--within earshot. Needless to say, her profanity-laced tirade got their attention...and that of a admin assistant inside the main office, who came out and pretty much told her she needed to watch her language; BTW--prior to that, I had already told her that she wasn't being too bright in using such language in the presence of school children and that she needed to watch her language...telling her that only made her even more angrier--heck, she became so angry she started accusing ME of using profanity (unlike her--even if I chose to use profanity against her, I knew exactly where I was at the moment so I clearly had better judgment that she did)!

Oh yeah--the incident that supposedly set all of this off? No I did not purposely prevent her from getting in front of me--she tried to pass me, and for whatever reason failed to realize that there was not enough room for her to pass and then position her vehicle in front of mine...especially given that we both were approaching an intersection that had the red light in our direction, and a few cars ahead of me already lined up in my lane.

I would normally not disparage another person--especially a woman...but in this person's case, that "lady" was definitely no lady.

Last edited by toneman; 02-09-07 at 09:46 AM.
Old 03-04-07, 10:33 AM
Lex13
Rookie

Speaking of quirks, what the heck is that little ridge inside the glovebox? It only seems to eat up much needed space.

Also, I may be the last owner to find it, but there's a great little sliding shelf inside the console that's just right for holding a cell phone or mp3 player.

Quick Reply: Little-known behaviors