ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

ES350 Review: New York Times

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-07, 04:19 PM
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by widlfiresd
If you do a search on this board, you will find owners that have been stranded by their Lexus as well. I would not judge a car company because my car died on me. It is a fluke in most cases.
I would normally agree, but with my vehicle, it was a pattern:

1. Stranded wife and infant child at mall. Towed to dealer, salesmen refused ride home (10 minutes away) to wife and child. They called them a cab. Result: replaced fuel pump.

2. Stranded wife and child at infant's day care. Towed to dealer, got a rent-a-car this time (gee, how nice!). Result: replaced engine ECU.

3. Wife stranded at work, and thinking some very negative thoughts about Chrysler. Result: Water in connector from factory (that's a new one!).

Fluke or not, three strikes is enough for me. I hope your luck is MUCH better with your Chrysler product.
Old 01-29-07, 05:09 PM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I hope so too but the ironic thing is that the Jeep /Chrysler dealership and the Lexus dealership are all part of a mega dealer in Northeast PA. Just different showrooms all under one big roof. I too got the maximum care extended warranty for 5 years / 100,000 miles. Jeeps are notorious for high cost repairs out of warranty. But initial quality so far has it all over our ES350.
We had high hopes for our first Lexus purchase. But, the replacement transmission is working out, the rear carpet, while not Karistan, is not plushier than the Impala and Jeep and the fit is good. Just keep on informing people that the ticking / cold knock noise is Lexus normal. I turn up the ML audio system to my favorite CD and let the outside world listen to the noise.
Old 01-29-07, 05:57 PM
RobF350
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

PSYCHDOC-
Nothing personal- but I cant see how a navigation system would bother you so much on other cars that you lowered yourself to buying that piece of crap ES350. Maybe you should see a doctor
Old 01-29-07, 07:25 PM
widlfiresd
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RobF350
PSYCHDOC-
Nothing personal- but I cant see how a navigation system would bother you so much on other cars that you lowered yourself to buying that piece of crap ES350. Maybe you should see a doctor
OUCH!
Old 01-30-07, 12:10 AM
Kaius88
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RobF350
PSYCHDOC-
whats up with this bashing???? People like me by the ES350 because it's a fine vehicle. If yours doesnt work right, then get it fixed. If it cant be fixed, force an exchange. The defects are not as common as you think it is. I am convinced that, for the most part, this car beats any MB or BMW of the same class.
Old 01-30-07, 04:13 AM
RobF350
Driver

if you guys followed the thread, you would see its sarcasm.
all in good fun.

I love my ES350! It has only been to the dealer for its free oil change and to get the center caps on the rims swapped out. Thats it.
Old 01-30-07, 08:18 AM
widlfiresd
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kaius88
whats up with this bashing???? People like me by the ES350 because it's a fine vehicle. If yours doesnt work right, then get it fixed. If it cant be fixed, force an exchange. The defects are not as common as you think it is. I am convinced that, for the most part, this car beats any MB or BMW of the same class.
While I agree the ES is a nice vehicle. I know of no FWD BMW or MB?
Old 01-30-07, 10:44 AM
jeffofla
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I just love the lively debate about the key fob. I'm so in love with the keyless entry and push button start, nothing will sway me in that regard.

I also discount issues like the noisy engine, because, for me the trade off is much greater power than my ES300. But it's the wind noise - not "buffeting" that annoys me on my car.
Old 01-30-07, 10:50 AM
PsychDoc
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jeffofla
I just love the lively debate about the key fob. I'm so in love with the keyless entry and push button start, nothing will sway me in that regard.

I also discount issues like the noisy engine, because, for me the trade off is much greater power than my ES300. But it's the wind noise - not "buffeting" that annoys me on my car.
Just for clarification (as I know I'm the prime "villain" here), I do love the keyless entry, it's the keyless start that I find absurd, unnecessary and annoying.

;-)

Last edited by PsychDoc; 01-30-07 at 10:59 AM.
Old 01-30-07, 11:17 AM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PsychDoc
Just for clarification (as I know I'm the prime "villain" here), I do love the keyless entry, it's the keyless start that I find absurd, unnecessary and annoying.;-)
I guess you're a little to young to remember that the push button start was considered 'de rigour' on almost all auto's years ago. That system at the time was considered, "State of the Art", but was used before engines were computer controlled. The new push button start as used by almost all manufacturers today is much more sophisticated, and therefore a stepup in technology compared to the old fashioned key start. I love it!
Old 01-30-07, 11:26 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Just for clarification (as I know I'm the prime "villain" here), I do love the keyless entry, it's the keyless start that I find absurd, unnecessary and annoying.

;-)
Doc, I'm confused. You like the keyless entry. Which means you can enter the car without using a key. But hate the keyless start. Which means you can start the car without a key. Wouldn't it be counter productive to be able to enter the car w/o a key, and then have to dig a key out of your pocket or purse to start the car? Why bother with the keyless entry if that's the case. Set me straight here.

Last edited by LexBob2; 01-30-07 at 11:42 AM.
Old 01-30-07, 11:45 AM
PsychDoc
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Doc, I'm confused. You like the keyless entry. Which means you can enter the car without using a key. But hate the keyless start. Which means you can start the car without a key. Wouldn't it be counter productive to be able to enter the car w/o a key, and then have to dig a key out of your pocket or purse to start the car? Why bother with the keyless entry if that's the case. Set me straight here.
I simply like a place to store my keys when I'm inside the car. They bulge in my pocket(s).

Keyless start is just a silly affectation design solely to impress others that has no practical value whatsoever.

A pure "gee whiz" play, if you will.

Last edited by PsychDoc; 01-30-07 at 12:12 PM.
Old 01-30-07, 12:05 PM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I simply like a place to store my keys when I'm inside the car. They bulge in my pocket(s).

Keyless start is just a silly afectation design solely to impress others and it has no practical value whatsoever.

A pure "gee whiz" play, if you will.
My, my, my, You are somewhat hypocritical, especially when you posted this about me:
"Unfortunately, guys like Alan do nothing to advance the design of vehicles. They either "love 'em or hate 'em." Reminds me of when I was a kid. Any criticism of the US' role in Vietnam was equated with being "anti-American."

Too bad. And so short sighted.

There's much to like about the ES350 and more than a lot not to.

But you have to be open minded to see that."

You're the one that's closed minded.
Old 01-30-07, 12:41 PM
toneman
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by amf1932
Do you honestly feel that the negative input of the few is going to sway the future evolution of automobiles in general......I think not!
Why not? After all--that ES you're driving looks, feels, and performs nothing like the last-gen ES it replaces. Do you think that Lexus woke up some random morning and decided to design a new ES, just for the heck of it?
Old 01-30-07, 12:47 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,119 Likes on 1,293 Posts

OK folks let's take this thread back on topic about the NYT review and away from personal comments in future posts, thank you.

Quick Reply: ES350 Review: New York Times