ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

ES350 Review: New York Times

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-07, 10:47 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by amf1932
To all of you guys that hate the "problems" that this ES350 seems to be plagued with......the only thing for you to do is GET RID OF YOUR CAR. I know that is exactly what I would do.
I guess I was one of the few that love my car in all respects and everytime I get into the car I'm loving it more!
Engine noises.....Absolutely not!
Rattles.......Absolutely not!
Transmission flare......Absolutely not!
You name any kind of problem and my car has none of them!
I sorta feel sorry for the problems that you have, but hey..... with your mindset, you'd probably complain about every type of appliance, whether electronic or mechanical that you own.
Once again, if you're soooo unhappy with your vehicle then dump it, and when you find an automobile that suits your needs then tell us all about it.

Alan,

I hope you consider that simply because owners mention something about their vehicle it does not mean they paint the entirety of the vehicle in the same light as that they mention, it does not need be viewed as an all or nothing.

The haunted/karma thread proves I'm right about that. In a way it reads as though like a reflection of our problems with poll, roughly 2/3 indicate one issue or other and roughly 1/3 no issue from day of ownership. The IMPORTANT and very noteworthy thing is that those who mention an issue are gracious enough not to tar the entire vehicle with a narrow view as a result of having had one issue or another with the car, they like it otherwise.

Reviews by pros, or review-like comments by members, IMO usually do not address/reflect the entirety of the held view about the vehicle as a whole considering all it's features.
Old 01-29-07, 10:51 AM
PsychDoc
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ES350Bob
Alan,

I hope you consider that simply because owners mention something about their vehicle it does not mean they paint the entirety of the vehicle in the same light as that they mention, it does not need be viewed as an all or nothing.

The haunted/karma thread proves I'm right about that. In a way it reads as though like a reflection of our problems with poll, roughly 2/3 indicate one issue or other and roughly 1/3 no issue from day of ownership. The IMPORTANT and very noteworthy thing is that those who mention an issue are gracious enough not to tar the entire vehicle with a narrow view as a result of having had one issue or another with the car, they like it otherwise.

Reviews by pros, or review-like comments by members, IMO usually do not address/reflect the entirety of the held view about the vehicle as a whole considering all it's features.
Unfortunately, guys like Alan do nothing to advance the design of vehicles. They either "love 'em or hate 'em." Reminds me of when I was a kid. Any criticism of the US' role in Vietnam was equated with being "anti-American."

Too bad. And so short sighted.

There's much to like about the ES350 and more than a lot not to.

But you have to be open minded to see that.

Last edited by PsychDoc; 01-29-07 at 11:04 AM.
Old 01-29-07, 11:19 AM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PsychDoc
Unfortunately, guys like Alan do nothing to advance the design of vehicles. They either "love 'em or hate 'em." Reminds me of when I was a kid. Any criticism of the US' role in Vietnam was equated with being "anti-American."

Too bad. And so short sighted.

There's much to like about the ES350 and more than a lot not to.

But you have to be open minded to see that.
Do you honestly feel that the negative input of the few is going to sway the future evolution of automobiles in general......I think not!
Old 01-29-07, 11:23 AM
PsychDoc
Lead Lap

Do you honestly feel that the negative input of the few is going to sway the future evolution of automobiles in general......I think not!
How do you think cars have gotten to where they are now?

If people were content buying junk that's all that would be on the market.

Competition is a wonderful thing and I can most certainly assure you that the complaints of the [not so] "few" are heard and heeded by the car manufacturers.

Net result...better vehicles.
Old 01-29-07, 11:23 AM
widlfiresd
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Apprently not since Lexus is still putting cassette decks in cars along with Honda. I am frankly surprised they do not offer 8 track tape as well.
Old 01-29-07, 11:48 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by widlfiresd
Apprently not since Lexus is still putting cassette decks in cars along with Honda. I am frankly surprised they do not offer 8 track tape as well.
As with any discussion, there are two points of view. I'm sure there would be owners who'd say, how about a cassette deck in the car. I have a lot of old tapes I'd like to be able to play. Kind of damned if you do and damned if you don't.
Old 01-29-07, 12:09 PM
terryes
Driver School Candidate

You absolutely know your on the right side of the debate when someone brings up the Vietnam war to refute your side.
Old 01-29-07, 12:51 PM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

All I know is the following:

2007 Grand Cherokee Limited Hemi - picked up 12/23 - no trans flare, no cold knock noise, no quality issues / no return to the dealer with 1,800 miles.

2007 Impala SS - picked up 1/27 - no trans flare, no cold knock noise with 200 miles.

2007 Lexus ES350 - picked up 10/07 - trans flare, cold knock noise with 3,500 miles. New transmission and still has "fuel injection noise - diagnosed by the service manager" but still sounds like valve / lifter noise. Takes 20 minutes of driving after zero degree cold start to not hear the noise.

But... Best ride, ML sound system, quietness over the other two - Lexus ES350.
Old 01-29-07, 01:03 PM
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by garsarno
All I know is the following:

2007 Grand Cherokee Limited Hemi - picked up 12/23 - no trans flare, no cold knock noise, no quality issues / no return to the dealer with 1,800 miles.

2007 Impala SS - picked up 1/27 - no trans flare, no cold knock noise with 200 miles.

2007 Lexus ES350 - picked up 10/07 - trans flare, cold knock noise with 3,500 miles. New transmission and still has "fuel injection noise - diagnosed by the service manager" but still sounds like valve / lifter noise. Takes 20 minutes of driving after zero degree cold start to not hear the noise.

But... Best ride, ML sound system, quietness over the other two - Lexus ES350.
Give the Chrysler product some time. Mine left me stranded three times with less than 5,000 miles, and the dealer refused to offer me a loaner because it was a Sunday. Keep in mind that I paid an extra $2k for the "preferred care" extended warranty. The guy that operated the dealer shuttle Mon-Fri got to know me on a first name basis, and when I called he came to pick me up without directions because he'd been here so many times.

Good luck!
Old 01-29-07, 01:06 PM
widlfiresd
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 15951
Give the Chrysler product some time. Mine left me stranded three times with less than 5,000 miles, and the dealer refused to offer me a loaner because it was a Sunday. Keep in mind that I paid an extra $2k for the "preferred care" extended warranty. The guy that operated the dealer shuttle Mon-Fri got to know me on a first name basis, and when I called he came to pick me up without directions because he'd been here so many times.

Good luck!
If you do a search on this board, you will find owners that have been stranded by their Lexus as well. I would not judge a car company because my car died on me. It is a fluke in most cases.
Old 01-29-07, 01:17 PM
terryes
Driver School Candidate

Okay, I'll bite. Where on this board will I find the owners that have been stranded by their ES350 ----BEFORE HAVING THEIR TRANNYS REPLACED???
Old 01-29-07, 01:48 PM
widlfiresd
Pole Position

Originally Posted by terryes
Okay, I'll bite. Where on this board will I find the owners that have been stranded by their ES350 ----BEFORE HAVING THEIR TRANNYS REPLACED???
I have seen some posts regarding the Hybrids that died on folks. I believe the RX400h. I was not referring to the ES350 specifically although it is loaded with its own issues at the moment.
Old 01-29-07, 02:21 PM
terryes
Driver School Candidate

Sorry, didn't mean to force the issue. But, from what I've seen thus far, the ES350 is a MOST reliable car. Again, pardon my tone
Old 01-29-07, 04:12 PM
Kaius88
Lead Lap

why are we even comparing American non-luxury brands with a Japanese luxury brand??? I'm sure I could have gotten a Yugo or a Pinto to run smoothly for 1000 miles back in the days, but what does that prove??? People buy Japanese cars for their value and technology. People buy american cars because....uh.... I don't know why but apparently in the mid-west there are more american cars around than foreign cars. I think american cars might be better looking, but traditionally they are lesser in quality and a lot louder. That's my experience. Lexus is still building the most reliable cars around, despite the numerous complaints on the newer models. I guess it sucks more when it is happening to you...i can totally relate. Thats the risk you take for adopting new technology. I can attest that, if everything works right, the ES350 is a dream-of-a-car.

Whats the deal with vietnam? I wasnt born yet, but what does that have to do with tranny flares????
Old 01-29-07, 04:15 PM
widlfiresd
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Kaius88
why are we even comparing American non-luxury brands with a Japanese luxury brand??? I'm sure I could have gotten a Yugo or a Pinto to run smoothly for 1000 miles back in the days, but what does that prove??? People buy Japanese cars for their value and technology. People buy american cars because....uh.... I don't know why but apparently in the mid-west there are more american cars around than foreign cars. I think american cars might be better looking, but traditionally they are lesser in quality and a lot louder. That's my experience. Lexus is still building the most reliable cars around, despite the numerous complaints on the newer models. I guess it sucks more when it is happening to you...i can totally relate. Thats the risk you take for adopting new technology. I can attest that, if everything works right, the ES350 is a dream-of-a-car.

Whats the deal with vietnam? I wasnt born yet, but what does that have to do with tranny flares????

Quick Reply: ES350 Review: New York Times