ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Need advice with new Lexus purchase - How?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-07, 07:46 AM
JohnJ
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need advice with new Lexus purchase - How?

OK - - I've decided to buy an ES 350 but I require the backup sensor option on the car (I've only got one eye).... Nav won't do it for me....

Long story short - I know the colors and options but the dealer is going to have to do a search to find the car.

He wants me to 'close' before he does the search - - I've never done this before - always said I like that one, give me a price....

My question is what can I expect when I 'close"?? I suppose that we are going to place an order for a car that doesn't exist, he will give me the amount that my trade is worth and we'll negotiate a price for the new car - - then if he finds a car that meets all my minimum requirements (but probably has some equipment that I wouldn't necessarily order) he'll call me to adjust the price before he actually brings the car into the dealership....

Is that correct or am I way off base???

Thanks

JohnJ
Old 01-19-07, 07:55 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnJ
He wants me to 'close' before he does the search - - I've never done this before - always said I like that one, give me a price....

Thanks

JohnJ
My suggestion is find another dealer who will not require you to close before doing a search for the vehicle you wish.
Old 01-19-07, 08:04 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by ES350Bob
My suggestion is find another dealer who will not require you to close before doing a search for the vehicle you wish.
I agree with Bob. Or, tell this dealer, "you get the car with the color and the equipment I want, and then I'll close". Chances are they'll do it rather than risk you going someplace else. Make sure they actually get the car on their lot vs. just telling you they have it located.
Old 01-19-07, 08:13 AM
L.Sigworth
Driver School Candidate

John, I can see the dealer wanting a deposit to locate the car but what options would you have if you close on the car only to later find out it's not exactly the car you ordered. To much money to settle for a new car that's "almost" what they promised.. Good luck..Lon
Old 01-19-07, 09:17 AM
JohnJ
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by L.Sigworth
John, I can see the dealer wanting a deposit to locate the car but what options would you have if you close on the car only to later find out it's not exactly the car you ordered. To much money to settle for a new car that's "almost" what they promised.. Good luck..Lon
Thanks to each of you - - I'll be prepared to put down a deposit but not close until I actually see the car.

JohnJ
Old 01-19-07, 09:40 AM
onsknht
Pole Position

Another thing you may want to consider...

Wrap up the deal on the new car before mentioning the trade on your old car... What I do is tell them I do not have a trade but if at a later point I decide to trade can it be worked into the deal.

What you're doing here is segregating the sub-steps of the deal and preventing them from being combined... Sort of like, "oh we'll give you $5k more than anyone else for your car but you'll also pay $5K more than invoice" type of a deal.

I've pee'od sales folk many times with these tactics... Add a trade in then back off on the trade, it really screws with them because you hold all the cards for changing the deal... They think it works one way and they'll get a fat paycheck, then you put them into check and cut their payout, annoys the hell out of them... I say, "good."

So my advice... Take the deal one step at a time, do not look for a "package solution" with a bottom line monthly payment or final check amount... You'll get screwed every time.
Old 01-19-07, 10:57 AM
apoc123
Driver School Candidate

I remeber someone told me that only use your credit card to deposit. No cash or check because it is much easier later to call your credit card company than try to get the money back from the dealer if things go south.

GL with the purchase.
Old 01-19-07, 11:11 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

John,

You do not need to place a deposit for the dealer to do a search for a vehicle to your liking.

The only time you would is if you decided on a price and wanted a car they found on a search to be designated for you.

Wait for JJbodean to chime in here, he will likely roll his eyes over them wanting a deal first in order to do a simple availability search.

I hope you find another dealer after that experience, that dealer, in my opinion, is not to be trusted at all.
Old 01-19-07, 11:25 AM
Lexucan
Lexucanafer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree with the above. Go somewhere else. Would you pay the cashier at the grocery store as soon as you walk through the door and THEN go do your shopping? Of course not. Same principle applies here.
Old 01-19-07, 11:30 AM
onsknht
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Lexucan
I agree with the above. Go somewhere else. Would you pay the cashier at the grocery store as soon as you walk through the door and THEN go do your shopping? Of course not. Same principle applies here.
Interestingly enough... I've recently had a couple of experiences where I've bellied up to some pretty upscale bars, not talking clubs but rather martini and cigar type joints. Like a Sullivans, Mortons or Hugo's Frog Bar and I've been asked for a Credit Card to open a tab... I walk away and go to the place next door and if there isn't one I ask for a table... I mean WTF?
Old 01-19-07, 01:05 PM
Lexucan
Lexucanafer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by onsknht
Interestingly enough... I've recently had a couple of experiences where I've bellied up to some pretty upscale bars, not talking clubs but rather martini and cigar type joints. Like a Sullivans, Mortons or Hugo's Frog Bar and I've been asked for a Credit Card to open a tab.
I don't doubt that this is the type of establishment that JohnJ's Lexus salesguy likes to frequent. And of course with his "pay me now" attitude, he can probably afford to...
Old 01-19-07, 07:23 PM
kingofire
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

This is what i do. I would tell him the exact specs you want in the car and haggle on the price. Then have them put in writing that you will not accept any other car but the one you guys agreed on. Now this is the important part, agree on a trade-in value of your car AND have them put you in a rental car until the delivery of the ES350. Tell them that the only way you will 'close' the deal is with the rental, this way they are pressured into getting you the car you want plus in a timely fashion since you have their rental. Also have them put in writing, that you will not be required to turn the rental in until the above stated car is in your posession! Good luck.

Off topic........In Mass, if you dont have an eye, you cant drive an automobile because you lose perception of depth. I had to do this in med school where I had to drive with one eye and it was scary, i couldnt tell how far cars were in front of me. How do you do it? Sorry, i dont mean to sound ignorant
Old 02-18-07, 02:45 PM
jwrichter
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by onsknht
Interestingly enough... I've recently had a couple of experiences where I've bellied up to some pretty upscale bars, not talking clubs but rather martini and cigar type joints. Like a Sullivans, Mortons or Hugo's Frog Bar and I've been asked for a Credit Card to open a tab... I walk away and go to the place next door and if there isn't one I ask for a table... I mean WTF?
WOW, how scary is this. Here I sit in S.C. and i actually know where Hugo is! Unbelievable. I didn't think they had ever seen a Lexus in their parking lot.
Old 02-18-07, 03:30 PM
jjbodean
Lexus Test Driver

Wait for JJbodean to chime in here, he will likely roll his eyes over them wanting a deal first in order to do a simple availability search.

sorry to be so late on this one, bob
Old 02-18-07, 03:52 PM
07LexusGuy
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

John,

I had a similar situation when I ordered my car and they didn't have the color combination in the UL package I asked for. The dealership couldn't find a single car in the NW region that had it but was willing to go out of its way to get me the car I wanted from another state and that was exactly what they did.

My salesman had it reserved in my name and didn't take a single dime from me as deposit. We came to the dealership the day the car arrived off the truck and negotiated the prices then and there.

So I would recommend the same as everyone else's posts - go to another dealership that will treat you with more patience and work on your terms in the time frame that is most comfortable with you. This is after all YOUR car, and YOU must be happy with both the end result and the process of attaining it. The dealership should work with you to make YOU happy.

Just my $0.02

Good luck with everything :-)

Quick Reply: Need advice with new Lexus purchase - How?