ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Wind noise update

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-06, 09:19 PM
marcinNH
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wind noise update

I had my ES350 in today for the 5000 mile service and asked the dealer to keep it for the day and evaluate the wind noise issue. I explained the problem in detail and then took a 10 minute drive with one of the techs to have him experience the situation for himself. I drove us a ways out from the dealership with him shotgun and then we stopped and traded places so he could drive back. There wasn't so much as a light breeze outside, yet as usual the interior sounded like it was experiencing some measure of wind shear between 50 and 70mph (we didn't go any faster).

He seemed to hear the noise for himself and nodded as much (it didn't appear to be just a nod of cordiality), and for the first time ever I experienced it myself from the passenger seat (where I haven't sat before). The noise was similar from the passenger side, so it appears to be present on both sides of the vehicle while traveling at speed. I particularly noticed it grow worse from the passenger seat when we were banking left gradually around a rolling highway bend. My doors were not out of alignment and no other visible problems existed on the exterior of the car. All of my underside chassis plugs are also properly installed.

I explained how I was aware that others were experiencing similar wind noise issues and I mentioned how some have diminished the effect by reseating their window seals or shimming the seals somehow. They agreed to look at the problem carefully.

At the end of the day I was told that they had checked the seals and found nothing unusual, and had also driven another ES350 on the lot to confirm that the same cabin noise existed at similar speeds. The dealer indeed indicated that the other vehicle had similar cabin noise and stated that 'they all sound that way...'. Ultimately, I guess I have to concur since I paid close attention to the interior noise of my loaner ES350 as I drove the extended distance to work. The same cabin noise effect at speed existed in this loaner.

Previously, I was too busy paying attention to the transmission issue the last time I had a loaner while they swapped out my tranny to pay close attention to the wind noise issue.

On the bright side, my new transmission is holding up very nicely and essentially continues to operate very smoothly since being installed. Conversely, the wind noise at highway speeds in this car truly would be more understandable in a Corolla then in a Lexus... {sigh}

I am now contemplating what to do next. I'm likely done complaining about the wind noise and instead moving on to possibly consider a hasty ES350 exit. Other alternatives crossing my mind are to possibly wait for next year's model and contemplate taking the trade hit to get to second year problem resolution(s), or even ask to drive a GS now... I really don't need an all wheel drive (I've still got the Tundra for winter driving), though, and don't want a rear wheel drive platform... Could always continue to wait for a possible wind noise TSIB, too, as it is clear to me that the factory knows about this issue. Then again, I don't get the feeling that holding one's breath for such a TSIB is wise...

Cabin islolation (solitude) was the primary factor that compelled me to purchase a Lexus...

Marc

p.s. Call me a complainer if you must. Practically speaking, though, I'd rather that you instead called me with a suggestion about how to get my ES350 cabin sounding more like an ES300 than a Corolla...
Old 12-11-06, 10:46 PM
wanderer99
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OK - I'm going to have to get off my butt and post some more pics in my wind noise thread to possible solutions as Lexus aren't fixing this for anyone.

I guess in regards to an ES350 exit you have to ask yourself - is the wind noise that unacceptable to you? I know it was for me, without a doubt. I'm talking about wind noise that is so annoying that you never really relax in your car as all you can hear is the damn noise, and you are powerless to stop it. Maybe we should name it the Corolla Wind Noise, but even that might not do it justice. If you have an ES and don't have this issue then celebrate. You won't undertand what we're talking about here as you'd know if you did - without a doubt.

Did your trans replacement really eliminate the entire slippage? My first 200kms on the second trans were good, but we're back where we started at now with it slipping when cold and hot. The first one was good for 2000kms before it had issues.
Old 12-12-06, 11:00 AM
marcinNH
Driver School Candidate

Yup, the wind noise definitely meets the threshold where I'll seriously consider getting out of the 2007 ES350. It's only a matter of time if the problem can't be resolved.

I agree that it is very bothersome and not just an intermittent annoyance. In my mind a consumer would be justified in complaining about this problem in a 20K car.

I'm frankly learning something about the Lexus brand at present while the company proclaims 'they all sound that way...'. I understand big company politics and national/international marketing and publicity concerns, etc., and even that perhaps Lexus is working on a TSIB fix behind the scenes as we debate... Then again, it's also quite possible, considering their unwillingness and/or inability to resolve the situation to this juncture, that they really don't care...

Either way, the wind noise in my ES350, and clearly many others as well, is too much for me and is souring my experience with this vehicle (which I primarily purchased for the quietness of interior during a long work commute).

I'm not so concerned about the transmission, actually, because they really do seem to be working on it and trying to make things right. Between the tranny swap and extended warranty I was provided I sincerely believe that there is/will be future protection against tranny failure. With over 1000 miles on the new transmission it really has exhibited no trouble at all for me(knock on wood?). Time will tell the rest of the tranny story, though it may well not be me writing the final chapter on this particular vehicle should I end up getting rid of it...

I'll decide shortly which direction to pursue toward my ES350 exit (whether ala Twister, out of the Lexus brand entirely, or other avenue).

I love the car, as I've said repeatedly, but a 40 minute highway commute each way to work in this car is aggravating me more every day and quickly becoming untenable.

Marc
Old 12-12-06, 03:08 PM
BillP
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by wanderer99
OK - I'm going to have to get off my butt and post some more pics in my wind noise thread to possible solutions as Lexus aren't fixing this for anyone.
It would be great if you posted pics. I'd like to get mine a little quieter.
Old 12-12-06, 04:13 PM
Citylights
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by marcinNH
I had my ES350 in today for the 5000 mile service and asked the dealer to keep it for the day and evaluate the wind noise issue. I explained the problem in detail and then took a 10 minute drive with one of the techs to have him experience the situation for himself. I drove us a ways out from the dealership with him shotgun and then we stopped and traded places so he could drive back. There wasn't so much as a light breeze outside, yet as usual the interior sounded like it was experiencing some measure of wind shear between 50 and 70mph (we didn't go any faster).

Cabin islolation (solitude) was the primary factor that compelled me to purchase a Lexus...

Marc

p.s. Call me a complainer if you must. Practically speaking, though, I'd rather that you instead called me with a suggestion about how to get my ES350 cabin sounding more like an ES300 than a Corolla...

From what you are describing, your wind noise is not normal for an ES350.

When I first took my car in for service, I got a 2006 ES330 loaner that I had for a couple days. The ES 330 was quiet, but I felt my ES 350 was definitely quieter. Last week, I was in my mother in-law's LS430 (back passenger seat) and I can honestly say that my ES350 was nearly as quiet. And yesterday, I was in a co-worker's late model Camry out for lunch that included hopping on the freeway. As I expected, the Camry was quiet but not nearly as isolated as my ES 350. So, when I am reading that your car's wind noise sounds like it belongs in a Corolla, something is definitely wrong with your particular car.
Old 12-12-06, 05:06 PM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Citylights
From what you are describing, your wind noise is not normal for an ES350.

When I first took my car in for service, I got a 2006 ES330 loaner that I had for a couple days. The ES 330 was quiet, but I felt my ES 350 was definitely quieter. Last week, I was in my mother in-law's LS430 (back passenger seat) and I can honestly say that my ES350 was nearly as quiet. And yesterday, I was in a co-worker's late model Camry out for lunch that included hopping on the freeway. As I expected, the Camry was quiet but not nearly as isolated as my ES 350. So, when I am reading that your car's wind noise sounds like it belongs in a Corolla, something is definitely wrong with your particular car.
city,

Yeah, when the wind noise issue is present it is not all pleasant and you know you should not be hearing it. It is annoying for sure.
Old 12-12-06, 05:26 PM
2thfixr
Lexus Test Driver

Not another wind noise thread! You guys are just a bunch of whiners that have nothing better to do than complain about stupid things that aren't a big deal. Why waste your time taking a car to the dealership for wind noise and most importantly, why are you guys posting about your stupid little problem and wasting other people's valuable time? You might scare away potential ES350 owners!!! Worse yet, you might make Lexus mad!

Wait a second, I have a wind noise problem too! Ummmm... forget what I said above.
Old 12-12-06, 05:32 PM
2007es350
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 2thfixr
You might scare away potential ES350 owners!!! Worse yet, you might make Lexus mad!
It is sad, but I doubt Lexus even cares.
Old 12-12-06, 05:35 PM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 2thfixr
Not another wind noise thread! You guys are just a bunch of whiners that have nothing better to do than complain about stupid things that aren't a big deal. Why waste your time taking a car to the dealership for wind noise and most importantly, why are you guys posting about your stupid little problem and wasting other people's valuable time? You might scare away potential ES350 owners!!! Worse yet, you might make Lexus mad!

Wait a second, I have a wind noise problem too! Ummmm... forget what I said above.
the first part of the above had me throw up a little bit

before I saw the disclaimer...