ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350
View Poll Results: What octane grade of gas do you fill your ES with?
87 Octane
26.87%
89 Octane
15.65%
91 Octane
29.25%
93+ Octane
28.23%
Voters: 294. You may not vote on this poll

The mother of all grade of gas debates for ES350 (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-06, 01:38 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

40k plus for a car and an extra 200 for gas is suddenly a problem, might as well get a camry with a 4cylinder,
Old 05-20-06, 02:31 PM
LS4Lexus
Rookie

I find it funny some people think just because you buy a luxury car, you should be paying a premium on everything else associated with it...regardless of whether it's required or not.

Someone else can pay for premium fuel and $100 oil change/tire rotations at the dealership if it makes them feel like more of a luxury car owner. I'll enjoy the car just as much using regular fuel and handling my own maintenance.
Old 05-20-06, 06:07 PM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you start to use regular gas on your 350.......let me know how it works out.
Old 05-20-06, 08:36 PM
LexFather

To get maximum performance and fuel economy out your ES use premium.

Yes it will run on unleaded, you also will get worse gas mileage.

SO your not saving a damn thing.

lol, people.....

Here is the link to your local kia dealer
http://kia.com/index.php

Old 05-20-06, 09:00 PM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

lol, people.....

I don't think you meant it will run on unleaded.........you probably meant regular gas.
Old 05-20-06, 10:28 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

lol, people.....

Well, Sick, tell me then, what is it exactly that makes the ES350 "require" premium fuel when the Camry V6 runs on regular just fine? They are the same car! Judging from the fact that the Camry V6 gets 22/31 with regular while the slightly heavier ES350 gets 21/30 on premium, I don't think using regular gas has any negative impact on the fuel economy of the 2GR-FE (at least much less than weight does).

My point is that, if you don't care about losing 4hp, you most likely can save money by running your ES350 on regular.

Last edited by XeroK00L; 05-20-06 at 10:32 PM.
Old 05-21-06, 03:32 AM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by XeroK00L
Well, Sick, tell me then, what is it exactly that makes the ES350 "require" premium fuel when the Camry V6 runs on regular just fine? They are the same car! Judging from the fact that the Camry V6 gets 22/31 with regular while the slightly heavier ES350 gets 21/30 on premium, I don't think using regular gas has any negative impact on the fuel economy of the 2GR-FE (at least much less than weight does).

My point is that, if you don't care about losing 4hp, you most likely can save money by running your ES350 on regular.
That's a very interesting point if all the engine parameters are the same on both cars, like compression ratios. ignition timing, cam gear grind, etc. The ES350 has a little more HP than the Camry, so there must be some difference somewhere down the line???
I'm not trying to be cheap by asking whether I could use regular grade gas as opposed to premium, but if I could save about $3.00 on a tankful that would be nice.
Another thing.....I was told that I should use premium fuel on both my previously owned '94 and '03 ES's. I did for awhile on both these cars, then switched to regular. I found that neither the gas mileage or the performance suffered in the least.
I'm sure that someone here will jump in and talk about the electronic knock sensors compensating for the lower octane.......but the bottom line is I found NO differences between the two.
Old 05-21-06, 04:27 AM
cleblanc
Rookie

I don't really care about losing 4 hp. My concern is whether or not my gas mileage would be degraded. The difference in premium gas prices is important to me since I drive about 20000 miles a year and the gas price difference between regular and premium can be as much as 30 cents. I've had my car 3 weeks now and already have over 1200 miles on it. Right now I'm averaging about 28.4 miles/gallon which I think is great. If the gas mileage is degraded by using regular, then that would be important. But the difference in Hp is small and would not be noticed by most people, certainly not me.
So I'm really interested in the findings of people who use both premium and regular.
Old 05-21-06, 05:35 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by amf1932
That's a very interesting point if all the engine parameters are the same on both cars, like compression ratios. ignition timing, cam gear grind, etc. The ES350 has a little more HP than the Camry, so there must be some difference somewhere down the line???
I'm not trying to be cheap by asking whether I could use regular grade gas as opposed to premium, but if I could save about $3.00 on a tankful that would be nice.
Another thing.....I was told that I should use premium fuel on both my previously owned '94 and '03 ES's. I did for awhile on both these cars, then switched to regular. I found that neither the gas mileage or the performance suffered in the least.
I'm sure that someone here will jump in and talk about the electronic knock sensors compensating for the lower octane.......but the bottom line is I found NO differences between the two.
well, they are not the same. ES350's engine is calibrated for using higher octane premium. Result of putting in lower grade is engine pinging which is a. damaging to the engine, b. lowering your power, c. lowering your mpg due to actions ECU takes to stop the pinging (or engine misfires).

so no, you dont run lower octane if higher octane is needed.

Old ES engine certainly was not high compression engine as this new one, and it wasnt as sensitive to the fuel.
Old 05-21-06, 09:01 AM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

I would still like to see the specifications of both engines. 2007 Camry V6 and Lexus ES350.
........and if a '07 Camry owner can tell me exactly what it say's in the Owners Manual about the fuel requirements, it would be appreciated.
Old 05-21-06, 09:09 AM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by amf1932
I would still like to see the specifications of both engines. 2007 Camry V6 and Lexus ES350.
........and if a '07 Camry owner can tell me exactly what it say's in the Owners Manual about the fuel requirements, it would be appreciated.
I woudl too... I'm still not convinced
Old 05-21-06, 01:45 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LS4Lexus
I find it funny some people think just because you buy a luxury car, you should be paying a premium on everything else associated with it...regardless of whether it's required or not.

Someone else can pay for premium fuel and $100 oil change/tire rotations at the dealership if it makes them feel like more of a luxury car owner. I'll enjoy the car just as much using regular fuel and handling my own maintenance.
I generally tend to use what the manufacture suggest, my friends 350Z runs great on premium, not a luxury car, and I agree with 1sick, using regular in a car that needs premium, you will use way more gas.

Just my 2cents, this is only a car forum and nothing more, your car your money
Old 05-21-06, 02:04 PM
dotbowels
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

My son wondered if the injectors are the same in both? Maybe plastic in one and not in the other?? Dorothy
Old 05-21-06, 03:12 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf
well, they are not the same. ES350's engine is calibrated for using higher octane premium. Result of putting in lower grade is engine pinging which is a. damaging to the engine, b. lowering your power, c. lowering your mpg due to actions ECU takes to stop the pinging (or engine misfires).

so no, you dont run lower octane if higher octane is needed.

Old ES engine certainly was not high compression engine as this new one, and it wasnt as sensitive to the fuel.
From where did you read that the ES350's engine was calibrated for using higher octane premium and the Camry's is not? The Camry got a lower horsepower rating only because it was tested with regular gas. Had the Camry been tested with the same fuel that the ES350 had it would've achieved the same rating. But for demographic reasons, Toyota chose not to, so that mainstream car buyers aren't scared off by the "premium recommendation", even though they would've been getting that 4 extra horsepower. The ES350 on the other hand has the badge to warrant such a recommendation, but that doesn't mean it has anything tuned differently from the Camry.
Old 05-21-06, 04:21 PM
S L I C K
Lead Lap

Don't buy a Lexus if you're going to cry over an extra $0.20 per gallon on gas. Premium gas is better for your car in general. I've never used anything other than Premium in any of my cars.

Quick Reply: The mother of all grade of gas debates for ES350 (merged threads)