ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

List of current ES350 TSIBs

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-07, 08:19 PM
smwallace
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Many of the TSIBs have "2007 model year ES 350 vehicles produced BEFORE the Production Change Effective VIN shown below." Are the last seven digits after the "7" (which I assume means 2007 model year) the serial number of the particular chassis? I.e., does that mean that if a TSIB notes the production change started with VIN JTHBJ46G#72024900, that only cars with VINs JTHBJ46G#72024899 and lower are affected?

Thanks,
Steve
Old 03-17-07, 04:41 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by smwallace
Many of the TSIBs have "2007 model year ES 350 vehicles produced BEFORE the Production Change Effective VIN shown below." Are the last seven digits after the "7" (which I assume means 2007 model year) the serial number of the particular chassis? I.e., does that mean that if a TSIB notes the production change started with VIN JTHBJ46G#72024900, that only cars with VINs JTHBJ46G#72024899 and lower are affected?

Thanks,
Steve
The 7 is the model year which is followed by a single digit plant code, the balance from left to right is the serial number.

The trans TSIB implies vehicles made after the VIN cut-off are somehow ok, they are NOT ok as to somehow being exempt from being problematic.
Old 04-14-07, 12:37 PM
deezee
Driver School Candidate

Hi everyone new(old) guy here.Am trading my"03 350Z for a new ES350 next week.
Have had es330 and es300 previously.They both suffered from tranny and "rattle" problems.
The Z had numerous issues as well-most were resolved except for MAJOR tire alignment issues.
Despite all this these Japanese made vehicles are still way superior to the BMWs and Merecedes that are CONTINUOUSLY in the dealer for problems(most owners will deny this)
So enjoy these great,relatively reasonable vehicles....
And keep up the TSB reporting-THANKS!!!
Old 05-03-07, 05:07 AM
latorne
Driver School Candidate

Does anyone know how to initialize the Nav system on an ES350 -2004? I have a newer DVD from Navteq from a Chysler Alpine Nav system. Does anyone know if it will work on the Lexux? It is made by the same company-NAVTEQ.
Old 06-01-07, 08:04 AM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If anybody seen any new TSIBs for ES350, please keep me updated if I miss any. I would add those to the front page message. Thanks!!!
Old 06-16-07, 10:27 AM
Individual
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Here's one I posted in a previous thread.

Originally Posted by twister
If anybody seen any new TSIBs for ES350, please keep me updated if I miss any. I would add those to the front page message. Thanks!!!
Old 06-18-07, 04:28 PM
remas1974
Driver School Candidate

Thank you guys for posting these TSIBs!
Old 10-10-07, 06:37 PM
fran073
Driver School Candidate

Default From the problems thread....

Hopefully OK to enter this here. It's listed as a Camry but the OP mentioned that it's good for the ES350. Watching with interest as I've avoided the ES350 just because of this issue.

Originally Posted by lt2211
TSB from Toyota on Camry 6 speed Transmission same as ES350

Toyota just released a new TSB (TC007-07) for the infamous U660E transmission to correct the flare (slipping) problem. This is, of course, applicable only to the V6 Camry (and Lexus ES350).

The TSB calls for reflashing the transmission computer with new firmware to fix the problem. It also states that if the new firmware doesn't do the trick, the transaxle needs to be replaced (of course, that was in the older TSBs, and didn't solve my problem nor that of numerous other posters).

My conclusion is that they identified two problems with the transmission: one mechanical and one related to programming. The mechanical one was identified months back when they released the valve body replacement TSB and the subsequent R/R transaxle TSB. The firmware update is what's new this time.

What's interesting is that the list of flares the TSB is supposed to fix involves more than just the 3-4 shift flare that's so obvious. Other shift flares that I see mentioned less on discussion boards (with the exception of Edmunds, which has a number of complaints about these) were listed. Also, the TSB says the flares are most noticeable after a cold soak, implying they can occur when the car is warmed up (something many of us already knew from experience).

* 3-4 upshift during first 10 minutes of operation
* 2nd - 3rd upshift
* 4th - 5th upshift
* 5th - 4th downshift when accelerating from coast or decelerating between 30 - 40 mph
Old 11-19-07, 01:26 AM
codex57
Rominl Stalker

Originally Posted by deezee
Hi everyone new(old) guy here.Am trading my"03 350Z for a new ES350 next week.
Have had es330 and es300 previously.They both suffered from tranny and "rattle" problems.
The Z had numerous issues as well-most were resolved except for MAJOR tire alignment issues.
Despite all this these Japanese made vehicles are still way superior to the BMWs and Merecedes that are CONTINUOUSLY in the dealer for problems(most owners will deny this)
So enjoy these great,relatively reasonable vehicles....
And keep up the TSB reporting-THANKS!!!
03 BMW 325Ci. I've gone in for service to repair the moonroof shade and some window trim that came undone. Now, after the warranty has past, the windshield wipers have stopped working. Annoying? Yes. But the drivetrain has been bulletproof.

Friend's '03 330i has had some minor trim problems too, but again, nothing major like drivetrain stuff.

03 Mercedes E320 (mom's) hasn't had any problems.

The Germans aren't troublefree, but it sounds like you've had waaayyy more serious problems than if you had gone German. I'm mainly looking at Lexus now b/c I can get free service for it while I can't with the German cars.
Old 11-29-07, 01:31 PM
toneman
Lead Lap

Yes I know the TSB I attached to this post isn't a Lexus one, but the info contained in it might give you folks some food for thought; in a nutshell, the TSB recommends the use of 5W-20 or 0W-20 motor oil (depending on specific engine series)...and that it's now being used in all Toyota and Scion engines at the factory since February 2006.

The second page of this TSB lists the engine series that can use 5W-20 engine oil--this list includes the GR series (list doesn't differentiate between specific GR engine models so it is clearly assumed that all GR series engines are included), of which the ES 350 engine (2GR-FE) belongs to.

Like I said, I know this TSB isn't a "Lexus"-titled one, but given that there is no mechanical/functional difference between a 2GR-FE engine used in the ES 350 and a 2GR-FE engine in a Toyota Camry...I can't see what harm could come from using 5W-20 instead of 5W-30 in the ES 350 (anyone know what the owner's manual states as far as recommended oil for 2008 ES 350?)...

Yes 5W-20 is superior when it comes to fuel economy and performance (so says Toyota, so please don't slam me if you disagree), but I wonder if another reason they chose to go w/ 5W-20 was to minimize the possibility of sludge buildup like what happened w/ the whole Toyota/sludge fiasco a while back...
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
eg018-06.pdf (28.5 KB, 3583 views)
Old 12-17-07, 03:01 PM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Updated link to TSIBs

Does anyone have a link to the most recent TSIBs on the 07 ES350?
Old 01-17-08, 09:07 AM
bostonsnow
Advanced

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
Default transmission TSIBs

I see that there are a couple of transmission related TSIBs due to flare. How many cars are affected by this? is it all of them?

Are there any major hesitation issues to look out for with the ES350 - like with the 02-06 ES330's or is that issue taken care of?

I have been thinking about getting a pre-owned 04 or 05 ES330, but now after having test-driven a few cars, and reading the threads on this forum, I am beginning to think that I should spend more and get an 07 or 08 ES350. Have there been any universal issues?

An aside off-topic question - do previous owners of ES300 or 330s find the seat comfort of the 350 to be as good or better than the older models?

thanks
Old 01-17-08, 11:32 AM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bostonsnow
I see that there are a couple of transmission related TSIBs due to flare. How many cars are affected by this? is it all of them?

Are there any major hesitation issues to look out for with the ES350 - like with the 02-06 ES330's or is that issue taken care of?

I have been thinking about getting a pre-owned 04 or 05 ES330, but now after having test-driven a few cars, and reading the threads on this forum, I am beginning to think that I should spend more and get an 07 or 08 ES350. Have there been any universal issues?

An aside off-topic question - do previous owners of ES300 or 330s find the seat comfort of the 350 to be as good or better than the older models?

thanks
I was one of the earliest owners of an ES350(purchased the first week of May 2006). I previously owned an '03 ES300, that I noticed had a transmission hesitation problem from the time I drove the car out of the showroom, and continued for the 3 years of ownership. The car was brought to my dealer to have all the upgrades(transmission flashes), to try to remedy this problem, but never to my satisfaction!
It ended up that I traded in this car with only 16K miles for the ES350, and after driving this new car for over 1¾ years, I still get all excited whenever I get into this car to take it for a drive, either around the corner, or for a long trip. Simply put, this is the best ES I've owned.......and I previously owned a '91, '94, and '03.
I only had some minor problems that were corrected by Lexus service
TSB's.....a slight wind noise, and the navigation showing my car in the wrong position on the screen.
The seat comfort and rear legroom on the ES350 is better than the ES300.
I'm one of the many ES350 owners that are completely satisfied with this fine automobile, and the transmission is great!
Old 01-22-08, 11:18 PM
jeffofla
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have to say that altough I have the wind issue with the side mirrors which can be annoying, I really like my car too. I bought the car the day it came out in 2006 and it has about 10800 miles on it.
Old 01-23-08, 04:35 PM
toneman
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by amf1932
I only had some minor problems that were corrected by Lexus service TSB's.....a slight wind noise...
There's a TSB for the wind noise issue? Just asking because the sticky TSB list in this thread does not list one for it, AFAICT.

Quick Reply: List of current ES350 TSIBs