ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

ES350 Vibration, Noise and Transmission Interface

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-06, 05:58 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default ES350 Vibration, Noise and Transmission Interface

For those who notice vibration in steering wheel, and also more involved to include armrests, floorboards, check this out and also if you feel your engine at idle in drive or R is on the loud side.

After start and warmup switch your transmission from either R or D into neutral and see if you notice what I have.

The engine idle noise quiets down immediately and significantly with no appreciable difference in steady state RPM on gauge, BUT the most noticeable, is it immediatly kills the vibration in steering wheel, elsewhere.

Since some of you have posted you are about to have or are having your engines checked for knocking tapping, see if this is also true for you and then please consider asking WTF is up with the interface between the engine and transmission that transfers such a level of vibration to steering, body of car, and also causes uneccessary engine noise.

Is there a mount or dampener missing maybe or an adjustment needed between the two interfaces?
Old 11-19-06, 02:27 PM
osokuko
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Bob, I read some where the computer can controll the eingine mounts to reduce the vibrations to the car.
Old 11-19-06, 03:15 PM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by osokuko
Hi Bob, I read some where the computer can controll the eingine mounts to reduce the vibrations to the car.
thanks oskuko, I'll see what I can find on it
Old 11-19-06, 06:48 PM
osokuko
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found the place where I read it from. Here are some diagram from the ES350 SFI System manual.
Attached Files
File Type: doc
Active Control Mount ACM VSV.doc (202.5 KB, 457 views)
Old 11-19-06, 09:50 PM
wanderer99
Lead Lap

I think I've mentioned it before, but I have this console\door\seat\floorpan vibration problem. So far I've narrowed it down to only being an issue when the vehicle is hot and in gear. If the vehicle is cold, its not an issue at all when the vehicle is in gear. This wasn't the original behaviour of my vehicle - its something that I think started after my 8000km service visit.

Putting my vehicle in neutral when 'hot' stops the console\door\seat\floorpan vibration completely. The steering still vibrates, but not the other things. It's good to know - and I didn't know - that the active engine mounts are still there.
Old 11-20-06, 12:50 PM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by wanderer99
I think I've mentioned it before, but I have this console\door\seat\floorpan vibration problem. So far I've narrowed it down to only being an issue when the vehicle is hot and in gear. If the vehicle is cold, its not an issue at all when the vehicle is in gear. This wasn't the original behaviour of my vehicle - its something that I think started after my 8000km service visit.

Putting my vehicle in neutral when 'hot' stops the console\door\seat\floorpan vibration completely. The steering still vibrates, but not the other things. It's good to know - and I didn't know - that the active engine mounts are still there.

oso...thanks for file the post

wanderer.. I remember now you mentioned yours in hot, mine does this cold or hot and in R it is both louder and vibration stronger than D, and steering wheel vibration is completely stopped by putting in neutral and P. My other car started out vibration in steering wheel and progressed to include armests, floorboards etc.

There must be something up with interface between engine and gear drives or it is a direct sign of a bad trans, the darn thing spiked big time +/- 1,000 RPM this morning classic 3 to 4.

I'm hoping someone else with this has a service appointment scheduled and can ask about this vibration related to motor mounts or some interface.
Old 11-21-06, 11:25 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Wanderer,

Thanks for posting the TSIB on transaxle and engine noise under stickie of TSIB.

I will ask at service they look into this as it relates to my engine noise level seperate from any knocking tapping, as well as relates to steering wheel vibration.

It is too coincidental I post on this wondering about any interface connection and then see the TSIB even if TSIB is about removing and replacing, could be simply when it is placed initially too then during it's manufacture.