ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Personalized Settings

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-06, 01:54 PM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Personalized Settings

I now have 1200 miles on my 3 week old ES, and wondering what (if any) settings I would have changed on my first service visit. Was wondering if anyone in this forum has had any changes completed? If so, what setting was changed and why did you do it? (benefit?)
Old 09-16-06, 02:30 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by MD350
I now have 1200 miles on my 3 week old ES, and wondering what (if any) settings I would have changed on my first service visit. Was wondering if anyone in this forum has had any changes completed? If so, what setting was changed and why did you do it? (benefit?)
We've had our car since 5/16 and I still haven't been in to have any of the settngs changed. I keep forgetting to check and see if there's anything I want changed. After this long, I guess not.
Old 09-16-06, 04:15 PM
ckon
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MD350

The only thing I had changed was the option to lock the doors at 13mph.

Would like to experiment with a couple of others, but not bad enough to have to go back to the dealer to have the changes undone if I don't like them.

BTW, I've let Lexus know that I think having to go to the dealer for these settings is pretty dumb. I can make most of these changes to my 2004 4Runner myself - why not the ES?
Old 09-16-06, 04:28 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by ckon
The only thing I had changed was the option to lock the doors at 13mph.

Would like to experiment with a couple of others, but not bad enough to have to go back to the dealer to have the changes undone if I don't like them.

BTW, I've let Lexus know that I think having to go to the dealer for these settings is pretty dumb. I can make most of these changes to my 2004 4Runner myself - why not the ES?
Good point, Chuck. I was able to do the same with our Avalon. I wonder if Lexus is trying to get customers used to bringing their cars in to their service departments to develop future service business after the warranty expires?
Old 09-16-06, 04:36 PM
gappell
Rookie

The manual provides instructions for changing the settings yourself !!!
Old 09-16-06, 06:30 PM
ckon
Rookie

Originally Posted by gappell
The manual provides instructions for changing the settings yourself !!!
There a few things that can be changed, but not the LPS (Lexus Personalized Settings).
Old 09-16-06, 08:21 PM
dreyfus

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I changed the door locks to the 13 mph trigger myself.

The dealer changed my headlights to turn off immediately when the door is opened (if the car is off).

He also set the limit for the headlights to automatically come on at a higher light setting, that is, sooner.

I agree that having the dealer required to change any personalized settings is stupid. We should be able to do it ourselves for all of them.
Old 09-16-06, 08:33 PM
thj
Driver School Candidate

I always wear my seatbelt, but I couldn't get to the end of the driveway without the seat belt chime going nuts. That was the only LPS I changed. I had it disconnected.
Old 10-02-06, 04:28 PM
ratedz
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dreyfus
I changed the door locks to the 13 mph trigger myself.

The dealer changed my headlights to turn off immediately when the door is opened (if the car is off).

He also set the limit for the headlights to automatically come on at a higher light setting, that is, sooner.

I agree that having the dealer required to change any personalized settings is stupid. We should be able to do it ourselves for all of them.
How did you get this to work ? I tried it 20 plus times and it never works for me.. Could you detail your procedure ?

Thanks.. Z
Old 10-02-06, 06:14 PM
dreyfus

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ratedz
How did you get this to work ? I tried it 20 plus times and it never works for me.. Could you detail your procedure ?
This is detailed on page 20 & 21 of the owner's manual, but it isn't all that clear. The trick is that you have to turn off the default locking of the doors when the shifter is moved out of park THEN turn on the door locking at 12-13 mph.

So following the steps on page 21:

Close all the doors & set IG-ON (shifter in PARK).

Within a few seconds, press and hold the door lock switch until the doors cycle through locking (or five seconds). This is the first step and disables the automatic door locking when shifting out of park.

I turned the ignition off at this point.

Again, turn the ignition on (green ignition light) without starting the car.

Immediately put the shifter in NEUTRAL.

Again press and hold the door lock switch for five seconds. This sets the autolocking at 12-13 mph.

It took me a long time to realize that choosing the setting you want is invalid unless you first unenable the setting you don't want.

Good luck!
Old 10-03-06, 12:12 PM
toneman
Lead Lap

I guess from a practical point of view it wouldn't make sense to have both "auto lock doors when shifting out of Park" and "auto lock doors at 13 mph" enabled, but IMHO I wish Lexus allowed you to enable/disable one completely independent of the other. As dreyfus pointed out, it is not possible to have both locking features enabled...and it is because of this I chose to keep the auto lock out of Park feature enabled instead of switching to auto lock at 13 mph as a matter of personal preference.
Old 10-03-06, 12:35 PM
ckon
Rookie

Originally Posted by toneman
I guess from a practical point of view it wouldn't make sense to have both "auto lock doors when shifting out of Park" and "auto lock doors at 13 mph" enabled, but IMHO I wish Lexus allowed you to enable/disable one completely independent of the other. As dreyfus pointed out, it is not possible to have both locking features enabled...and it is because of this I chose to keep the auto lock out of Park feature enabled instead of switching to auto lock at 13 mph as a matter of personal preference.

I have both enabled on our car and it works just fine.
Old 10-04-06, 01:19 PM
toneman
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ckon
I have both enabled on our car and it works just fine.
Did you enable one or both manually (i.e., by yourself), or did you have the dealer program it in? I ask because when I manually enabled the auto-lock at 13 mph on my vehicle, I discovered that the auto-lock out of Park--which had been operating correctly--no longer worked...which I now understand why, based on dreyfus' post. Only after I manually unprogrammed the auto-lock at 13 mph did the auto-lock out of Park work again.

Last edited by toneman; 10-05-06 at 11:50 AM.
Old 10-04-06, 02:00 PM
sarge43
Driver

Did you enable one or both manually (i.e., by yourself), or did you have the dealer program it in? I ask because when I manually enabled the auto-lock at 13 mph on my vehicle, I discovered that the auto-lock out of Park--which had been operating correctly--no longer worked. Only after I manually unprogrammed the auto-lock at 13 mph did the auto-lock out of Park work again.
I had the dealer make the two personal settings changes: no auto unlock when shift into Park and to auto-lock at 13mph. Now I have the auto-lock out of Park and at 13mph which covers any instance of starting to move with out the doors being locked.
Old 10-04-06, 02:21 PM
ckon
Rookie

Did you enable one or both manually (i.e., by yourself), or did you have the dealer program it in? I ask because when I manually enabled the auto-lock at 13 mph on my vehicle, I discovered that the auto-lock out of Park--which had been operating correctly--no longer worked. Only after I manually unprogrammed the auto-lock at 13 mph did the auto-lock out of Park work again.
I had the dealer do it. Now it locks when shifting out of park and if I stop and let someone in by manually unlocking the doors, it covers my forgetfulness by locking when the speed hits 13mph.

Quick Reply: Personalized Settings