ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Blind Rear window

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-06, 09:20 AM
F355SPIDER
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Rear window glare

As I stated before the glare is there whether you look directly through the rear window or through the mirror. It is also there through the sunshade, as the sun shade is a light color. Putting the sun-shade up only makes it worse. Its amazing that so many of us in the Northwestern US have squawked this, and yet no one else on here has experienced this problem.
Old 09-15-06, 09:26 AM
sarge43
Driver

Spider,
Your sun shade is a 'light' color? What do you mean by light? Mine is black.

Do you get the same glare while wearing sun glasses?
Old 09-15-06, 10:13 AM
F355SPIDER
Driver School Candidate

Exclamation Rear window glare

I just did a test, as we finally have sun today. I don't have a good pair of polarizing sunglasses so I cant speak to whether that would solve the problem. My sun shade is also black, but for visibility it appears to have about 50% open area. While the black reflects off the window which improves visibility from a glare standpoint, the blockage presented by the closed area makes it worse. Thats why I concluded the overall result with the sun shade "up" is worse. The real problem with the sun shade up or down is the portion of the rear shelf aft of the sun shade opening is the main culpret to visibility problems because it reflects precisely where you need to see other car in the rear view. The portion forward of the Sun shade largely reflects off the top half of the window and hence high where small cars arn't seen.

Bottom line I consider loosing half the rear visibility due to glare, which could have been solved by supplying a dark rear shelf color, should have been provided as an option and should be provided as a change Service bulletin.

There is a reason Lexus uses a dark grey dash that slopes down on the light grey interior cars. I know they can't make the rear shelf slope but at least they could have used the same dark grey.
Old 09-15-06, 03:15 PM
toneman
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sarge43
Spider,
Your sun shade is a 'light' color? What do you mean by light? Mine is black.

Do you get the same glare while wearing sun glasses?
I was about to say the same thing--the color of the rear sunshade in my ES is black...or in the least, dark in color.

FWIW--I also have a SGM w/ gray interior, and if there is indeed so me kind o glare when looking out the back...it has yet to have caught my attention.