ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

ES350-UL or GS350-AWD?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-06, 08:20 AM
GumboChief
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ES350-UL or GS350-AWD?

Guys, I am really struggling here. I am looking to buy a Lexus, but am trying to determine the tangible differences between the ES350 with UL and the GS350.

On paper it seems that other than a few extra ponies on the GS, the ES with UL is equal or better (panoramic roof)

Am I missing something here? I don't mind paying the extra for the GS, but I need something to rationalize it in my own mind.

Thanks
Old 08-27-06, 08:45 AM
tnfan
Rookie

Originally Posted by GumboChief
Guys, I am really struggling here. I am looking to buy a Lexus, but am trying to determine the tangible differences between the ES350 with UL and the GS350.

On paper it seems that other than a few extra ponies on the GS, the ES with UL is equal or better (panoramic roof)

Am I missing something here? I don't mind paying the extra for the GS, but I need something to rationalize it in my own mind.

Thanks
IMHO, it boiled down to FWD vs RWD, trunk space, and rear passenger space. Also the body syle of the ES350 was more exciting than the GS. Sure if you posted this on the GS board you would probably get an entirely different perspective. Good luck on you decision. Don't think you could go wrong with either one.
Old 08-27-06, 08:51 AM
PsychDoc
Lead Lap

Thanks
Other than the GS being RWD or AWD (a big plus) the ES has it in pretty much every other respect. The GS is cramped inside, has a joke of a trunk and looks like an AMC Pacer (remember those?) from the outside.

The interior is also unbelievably spartan looking. Wood you ask? Pretty much none to be found there. An igloo gives a warmer more inviting apppearance!

It's exterior styling is a true nightmare. Almost gives the Pontiac Aztek a run for its money as the ugliest car ever made.
Old 08-27-06, 08:57 AM
GumboChief
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tnfan
Sure if you posted this on the GS board you would probably get an entirely different perspective.

I promise not to crosspost

I am actually leaning toward the GS, so I figured I'd get the ES perspective.
I thought the back seat was about equal, but you and the Doc say otherwise.

Interesting...
Old 08-27-06, 09:13 AM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Exterior styling is up to a personal preference. Myself, I think GS looks like a hatchback. I haven't test driven GS, so I don't know how it handles. But, I have a feeling it will be more sportier. Overall, with all the bells'n'whistles, ES w/UL is a much better value which probably gonna cost you $7k-$8k less than GS.
Old 08-27-06, 09:29 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

You might want to go to Edmunds, Kelly Blue Book or a similar website and do a comparison of the ES & GS. That would give you the exact interior and exterior dimensions of each. I agree with others that the big difference is probably RWD or AWD (GS) vs. FWD (ES), maybe exclusivity (GS), if that's important. Good luck with your decision.
Old 08-27-06, 09:33 AM
GumboChief
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by twister
which probably gonna cost you $7k-$8k less than GS.
This is exactly what has been bugging me. I look at the numbers, look at the features, and it just wasnt adding up.

Looks like Lexus just commands a premium on the GS. Seeing as it is a much slower seller, don't see why, but I guess it doesnt matter. They are going to sell it for as much as they can get
Old 08-27-06, 09:37 AM
GumboChief
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LexBob2
You might want to go to Edmunds, Kelly Blue Book or a similar website and do a comparison of the ES & GS. That would give you the exact interior and exterior dimensions of each. I agree with others that the big difference is probably RWD or AWD (GS) vs. FWD (ES), maybe exclusivity (GS), if that's important. Good luck with your decision.
Huh. Looks like resale is higher on ES. Now that is VERY interesting. Didn't even think to look until you mentioned Kelly
Old 08-27-06, 09:55 AM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Being an owner of a UL package for 24 hours, you do get a lot for the money, and ES resale value history is fantastic. There are 4 in my family, needed the extra room in the ES. Seems the GS console is higher, like the IS. You feel more cramped in the driver's seat. I am 6' 3" and need the space. Just my opinion.

Last edited by MD350; 08-27-06 at 10:20 AM.
Old 08-27-06, 10:14 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts

I promise not to crosspost

I am actually leaning toward the GS, so I figured I'd get the ES perspective.
I thought the back seat was about equal, but you and the Doc say otherwise.

Interesting...
I agree there's not that much difference in the back seat, although my observation is that the plastics use on the dash & door in the GS350 is the softer-touch, higher quality type, whereas those in the ES350 is the same as those in the IS250/350.
There are roughly the same amount of wood trim in both models, so nothing much to distinguish the two in that respect.
I personally will go with the GS350AWD, which is RWD bias, & I like it's exterior design better. The GS is more sporty, but the ES cost less & has a more cushy ride, which some might prefer.

I just drove the ES350 for a day as a loaner when I brought in my Lexus for maintainence service a few days ago. Very nice car for the money & the best ES ever

Last edited by Gojirra99; 08-27-06 at 10:23 AM.
Old 08-27-06, 10:59 AM
07LexusGuy
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was deciding between the two myself, but decided to go with the ES UL instead for the following reasons:

- GS backseat is a joke... you cant sit 3 adults there, the rear center floor has this huge bulge and would probably have enough space for two adults and maybe a baby car seat. The rear center floor of the ES is nearly flat, a big plus for foot space comfort

- As others have mentioned, the GS has a tiny trunk (L-finess styling to blame?) but at least its hydralic driven, so it doesn't intrude into trunk space.

- Not much wood, also mentioned by others

- Unless I'm mistaken, from my perception, the ES UL leather is much softer compared to those in the GS

- Also, gas mileage its likely you'll be getting better with the ES as its not AWD.

- And of course, as mentioned by others, the price. For ~45K you can get a fully loaded ES with ML, Nav, Panoramic roof, basically everything and it'll be comparable to a base GS AWD with no options added.

But in the end, its your decision and what your priorities are
Old 08-27-06, 12:22 PM
Got350
Driver School Candidate

I'm on the same boat with you GumboChief. My rx330 is up soon and I'm trying to decide whether to get into a gs350 or es350.. I'm somewhat leaning more towards the es350 these days. Especially after seeing the shark fin antenna on the 07s. I see the es350 every morning at the gym and I think it just looks soo smooth. However you can deny the power the gs has...
Old 08-27-06, 01:57 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by PsychDoc
Other than the GS being RWD or AWD (a big plus) the ES has it in pretty much every other respect. The GS is cramped inside, has a joke of a trunk and looks like an AMC Pacer (remember those?) from the outside.
Not true on the interior room. ES only has better front and rear shoulder room.
Lexus' officicial measurements indicate GS has more front & rear legroom, more front & rear headroom than ES w/ moonroof (= ES w/ Panorama).
I would trade more living space up front for human beings with that mere 2 cubic ft (size of two rolls of paper towels )additional space for luggage.

GS 350
http://www.lexus.com/models/gs/350aw...fications.html
Seating Capacity Five
Headroom, Front (in / mm) 37.8 / 960
Headroom, Rear (in / mm) 37.0 / 940
Legroom, Front (in / mm) 43.5 / 1,105
Legroom, Rear (in / mm) 36.4 / 925
Shoulder Room, Front (in / mm) 56.3 / 1,430
Shoulder Room, Rear (in / mm) 55.1 / 1,400
Trunk Capacity (cu ft / L) 12.7 / 360

ES 350
http://www.lexus.com/models/es/350_specifications.html
Seating Capacity Five
Headroom, Front w/ Panorama Glass Roof (in / mm) 37.8 / 960
Headroom, Front w/ Moonroof (in / mm) 37.4 / 950
Headroom, Rear w/ Panorama Glass Roof (in / mm) 37.0 / 939
Headroom, Rear w/ moonroof (in / mm) 36.8 / 934
Legroom, Front (in / mm) 42.2 / 1,071
Legroom, Rear (in / mm) 35.9 / 911
Shoulder Room, Front (in / mm) 57.3 / 1,455
Shoulder Room, Rear (in / mm) 56.3 / 1,430
Trunk Capacity (cu ft) 14.7 / 416

Last edited by TunedRX300; 08-27-06 at 02:13 PM.
Old 08-27-06, 02:29 PM
rx7_fan
Driver School Candidate

ES rocks because it has a smoother ride, if you're looking for a sport car, go for a Porsche cayman or maybe an Acura RL?
Old 08-27-06, 02:38 PM
PsychDoc
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by TunedRX300
Not true on the interior room. ES only has better front and rear shoulder room.
Lexus' officicial measurements indicate GS has more front & rear legroom, more front & rear headroom than ES w/ moonroof (= ES w/ Panorama).
I would trade more living space up front for human beings with that mere 2 cubic ft (size of two rolls of paper towels )additional space for luggage.

GS 350
http://www.lexus.com/models/gs/350aw...fications.html
Seating Capacity Five
Headroom, Front (in / mm) 37.8 / 960
Headroom, Rear (in / mm) 37.0 / 940
Legroom, Front (in / mm) 43.5 / 1,105
Legroom, Rear (in / mm) 36.4 / 925
Shoulder Room, Front (in / mm) 56.3 / 1,430
Shoulder Room, Rear (in / mm) 55.1 / 1,400
Trunk Capacity (cu ft / L) 12.7 / 360

ES 350
http://www.lexus.com/models/es/350_specifications.html
Seating Capacity Five
Headroom, Front w/ Panorama Glass Roof (in / mm) 37.8 / 960
Headroom, Front w/ Moonroof (in / mm) 37.4 / 950
Headroom, Rear w/ Panorama Glass Roof (in / mm) 37.0 / 939
Headroom, Rear w/ moonroof (in / mm) 36.8 / 934
Legroom, Front (in / mm) 42.2 / 1,071
Legroom, Rear (in / mm) 35.9 / 911
Shoulder Room, Front (in / mm) 57.3 / 1,455
Shoulder Room, Rear (in / mm) 56.3 / 1,430
Trunk Capacity (cu ft) 14.7 / 416
Another example of stats not, in any way, squaring up with subjective experience.

We see this all the time in audiophile circles where a speaker that may measure flat, has audible rings and bumps throughout the frequency spectrum while one that measures with an elevation in the region below 100hz and rolled off above 14k hz actually sounds far flatter than the first.

Say what you want but I defy anyone to actually sit in both and spend any time in both and not tell you that the ES is the much more spacious car.

The rear seat of the GS is essentially unusable for anything other than groceries.

It's trunk remains a joke and you'd have to stuff an overnight bag in there to get it to fit.

And the exterior "styling!?"

I have just two words for it...

"HATCH BACK"

Quick Reply: ES350-UL or GS350-AWD?