ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

ES350-UL or GS350-AWD?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-06, 09:32 AM
dp5
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was also torn between the GS and the ES. I ended up going with a UL ES because I decided I valued luxury over sport. I enjoy sport driving but 99% of my driving is composed of driving the kids to school or carting myself from meeting to meeting. I felt like the ES was a better fit for what I would be using the car for the majority of the time. Also, I have 3 kids and the front wheel drive leaves significantly more usable room in the rear seat.

However, unlike some other people in this forum, I LOVE the GS styling. I like the styling of my ES a lot but I still prefer the GS by a slight margin.
Old 08-29-06, 10:48 AM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PsychDoc
Another example of stats not, in any way, squaring up with subjective experience.
Glad to know your real life experiences defy cold hard stats

The rear seat of the GS is essentially unusable for anything other than groceries.
Funny how I was able to fit two adults in the backseat last weekend.

It's trunk remains a joke and you'd have to stuff an overnight bag in there to get it to fit.
Now how the heck did I fit two golf bags in the trunk yesterday

In all seriousness, I like the new ES a lot. I've had a chance to keep one over the weekend as a loaner. Real nice improvement over the previous gen. It all comes down to the buyer's priorities. Want comfort? Choose the ES. Want a little more sport? Choose the GS.

Interior wise, I think both suffer from a lack of wood d/t the new L-finesse philosophy.

Doc, your enthusiasm for your new ES is nice to see. But your constant bagging on the GS is getting old...you sound worse than a BMW fanboy
Old 08-29-06, 11:05 AM
PsychDoc
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by INHOCJP
Glad to know your real life experiences defy cold hard stats

Funny how I was able to fit two adults in the backseat last weekend.

Now how the heck did I fit two golf bags in the trunk yesterday

In all seriousness, I like the new ES a lot. I've had a chance to keep one over the weekend as a loaner. Real nice improvement over the previous gen. It all comes down to the buyer's priorities. Want comfort? Choose the ES. Want a little more sport? Choose the GS.

Interior wise, I think both suffer from a lack of wood d/t the new L-finesse philosophy.

Doc, your enthusiasm for your new ES is nice to see. But your constant bagging on the GS is getting old...you sound worse than a BMW fanboy
LOL

Of course you forgot the GS' biggest selling point.

It's magnificent hatchback appearance.
Old 08-29-06, 11:18 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Doc, be careful, or someone is going to bring up the Camry-esq appearance of the ES in this debate.
Old 08-29-06, 12:08 PM
PsychDoc
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Doc, be careful, or someone is going to bring up the Camry-esq appearance of the ES in this debate.
Hehe.

Sadly, as great a car as the ES350 is, it's really pretty bland looking and does look quite a bit like it's "born on the wrong side of the tracks" Camry bretheren.

Don't get me wrong, it's not awful looking like a few others, but it's no real looker either. For pure aesthetics, take a look at a M-B E350, Audi A6 or BMW 3 series. Gorgeous cars.

Overpriced and under equipped to be sure, but beautiful cars.

In terms of 'bang for the buck' i still consider the ES350 to be a stone cold killer.

It'll never win any beauty contests though.

And the interior desperately needs more wood trim (but then so do the BMW's)!

Last edited by PsychDoc; 08-29-06 at 12:52 PM.
Old 08-29-06, 03:01 PM
Kaius88
Lead Lap

The ES350 is not as bland as you think. Because we ES350 owners seldom get to see the car from a 3rd person's view on the street, we sometimes forget how cool it looks. I was walking back to my office from lunch and noticed a really nice looking car zip by. Then I realized it's the SGM ES350 UL. Wow... not bad at all. I was pleasantly surprised, even tho I own that exact car. Most of the time I forget what the car looks like because the interior luxury outweighs the exterior looks. Is it possible to love your new ES350 more every day?
Old 08-29-06, 03:31 PM
Lexucan
Lexucanafer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Kaius88
The ES350 is not as bland as you think. Because we ES350 owners seldom get to see the car from a 3rd person's view on the street, we sometimes forget how cool it looks.
I agree with your observation about us humans becoming rather desensitized after a short while. We sort of begin to not even take notice of things once their physical appearance is "filed" in our brain. Then like you said, Kaius, a car that looks just like the one you own passes you by and its like, "Hey, what a great looking car!....ummmm.....oh yeah, I've got one too! LOL

And...it IS possible to love even an OLD ES even more every day!
Old 08-30-06, 11:35 AM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yep... I like the updated 00-01 ES.. I think they look really sleek.