ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Manual nav hack switch

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-07, 11:46 PM
FAA
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dreyfus
Fine, by your definition it isn't a cutoff switch, it's a cut on switch.

Without further information I don't know what is wrong or where to begin looking.

Sorry dreyfus,
just now I realize difference between cutoff / cuton switch, here we call all "switch".

Hope noves350 can open his head unit and take pictures for modification done in his ES then we can do the same
Old 03-28-07, 09:22 AM
gmark2000
Driver School Candidate

I didn't think to put the VaisTech unit under the driver's seat. That's an easy-to-access location. Congrats on your custom work.
I don't understand the significance of locating the VaisTech unit under the driver's seat. Why would one need to access it on a regular basis?
Old 03-28-07, 09:32 AM
Carbsumer
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by gmark2000
I don't understand the significance of locating the VaisTech unit under the driver's seat. Why would one need to access it on a regular basis?
You might not ever need to. If it fails, it's nice not to have to disassemble the dash. I've had a connector come lose a couple of times and I needed to re-secure it. Also, VaisTech can do bios upgrades on these units, so if you sent it in for an upgrade (say, to add a feature or support the newest iPod), it's nice to get access to it.
Old 04-05-07, 02:01 PM
hexus
Driver School Candidate

It would probably work. You'd have to identify the speed sensor wire for that particular model. Each wiring harness is different.

There's another nav hack for the IS that's better than this one, where the speed sensor and display output circuits are disconnected from the nav unit but then spliced into the display unit's speed input. There is no switch required and it allows smooth map operation simultaneously with no speed lockouts.

Unfortunately, it doesn't work with our ES350. I identified the appropriate wires and made the changes, but no go. This manual hack is the best we can do until someone else comes up with something better.
Where is this hack for the IS? I've got one and have been looking for it for awhile.
Old 04-09-07, 11:42 PM
Henine
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by hexus
Where is this hack for the IS? I've got one and have been looking for it for awhile.
Hexus,

If you haven't found it, try the following link:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=193739

Have fun.
Old 05-08-07, 06:20 PM
lamanmi
Driver School Candidate

Default Thanks for the hack

Dreyfus,

As others have said, thank you for the hack. I performed the hack over the weekend and it works like a champ!! I opted for the triangular corner panel by the steering wheel for the switch and it worked out great.

Lamanmi
Old 05-09-07, 01:24 PM
dreyfus

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Glad it worked out. Enjoy!
Old 06-12-07, 05:53 PM
carman493
Driver School Candidate

I know this is an ES350 thread and I've been reading through this because my gf's mother has an '07 ES350 with NAV and debating on doing the hack.....I've been looking around and asking about the same hack for the rx300. I have a 2001 RX300 SilverSport with NAV and it's a pain that my gf can't input addresses or look different things up while we're driving on the highway. Do you know the service access to the NAV unit and/or a "hack" to access these features while driving?

Also, how long did the hack take you guys on your ES models? I'll be up for a few days in the late summer and want to make sure I have the time to do it for her. Thanks in advance.
Old 06-13-07, 06:58 AM
dreyfus

Originally Posted by carman493
I know this is an ES350 thread and I've been reading through this because my gf's mother has an '07 ES350 with NAV and debating on doing the hack.....I've been looking around and asking about the same hack for the rx300. I have a 2001 RX300 SilverSport with NAV and it's a pain that my gf can't input addresses or look different things up while we're driving on the highway. Do you know the service access to the NAV unit and/or a "hack" to access these features while driving?

Also, how long did the hack take you guys on your ES models? I'll be up for a few days in the late summer and want to make sure I have the time to do it for her. Thanks in advance.
I would expect the theory behind this hack (blocking the speed sensor signal to the center display) will work for most Toyota vehicles. I know there is a similar hack for the IS. You'll need to identify the speed sensor wire, which will normally be a different color on different models. This information can be found in a maintenance (shop) manual or on http://techinfo.toyota.com/.

It should take you a couple of hours if you're not rushing. It's easy and scary at the same time. If you follow the directions for disassembling the center section (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=234398) you should do just fine.
Old 06-13-07, 10:00 AM
jerfitz
Pole Position

Do you remember that Colin Powell, then Sec'y of State, told President Bush regarding Iraq, "if you break it, you own it."

Because the ES350 is your girl friends car you might first consider the following method because it requires NO wire cutting.

Enabling the NAV System Features When Driving

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...69#post2503969
Old 01-30-08, 05:47 PM
YotaCarFan
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For those making the nav speed sensor wire cut-out switch mod to their cars: Note that there's an error code recorded in the nav system* in the event the speed signal is lost/wrong. Theoretically, the dealer could see this error code, suspect you did the hack, and then deny warranty coverage for any failures in the nav system or stereo head unit. (I believe you can clear the error code yourself by entering the nav system's service menu, though.)

* This is the case for the 07/08 ES350; earlier systems might not record the error code.
Old 03-15-08, 03:40 PM
Formap
Driver School Candidate

Default Manual NAV Hack Switch

Excellent instructions Dreyfus! However, I ran into a snag and wonder if someone can help me out.

Afterr finally building up the nerve to take the dash apart (all the time waiting for the snap, crackle, pop of one of many computer chips running this car to fry), I finally did it. Having removed the head unit I located the light blue wire next to the yellow wire and cut it. I didn't particalarly want to put a switch in right away, so I capped the wires and put the head unit back in the car and test drove it.

Unfortunately, as soon as I started moving, the screen blacked out the majority of the icons - as usual. The only working icon that I could find is the telephone. The destination ocon still won't work while the car is in motion.

I have the 2007 ES350, no DVD and no IPOD thingy.

I'm thinking this speed sensor wire was only for the telephone function. Does anyone know what wire controls the Destination functions? It's good to have the telephone function back but I would really like the Destination function to work at speed.

Incidentally, the moving display is moving smoothly as it did before. Maybe I cut the wrong wire? Upper right wiring module, bottom right wire is yellow and next to it is the light blue wire. Right wire?

Thanks everyone

Old 03-16-08, 08:16 AM
jgtile
Driver

Please, anyone correct me if I am wrong, but the no wire cutting hack only works on the 07 ES and not the 08! I have the 08 (I think it is the Ver 7.1)and touching the screen in the various places does not work. The wiring cutting mod is out of my league so I am going to have to live with the nav system the way it is! Oh well.
Old 03-16-08, 04:39 PM
dreyfus

Originally Posted by jgtile
Please, anyone correct me if I am wrong, but the no wire cutting hack only works on the 07 ES and not the 08! I have the 08 (I think it is the Ver 7.1)and touching the screen in the various places does not work. The wiring cutting mod is out of my league so I am going to have to live with the nav system the way it is! Oh well.
That is correct, so far as I know (I have an 07).
Old 03-17-08, 08:23 AM
SeaDrive
Driver School Candidate

I've been fiddling around with a good solution for my 08 ES350 for about a week now and learned some interesting stuff this past weekend.

Apparently if I connect the light blue wire to the orange wire I get full telephone use as expected. If I put the switch in between the newly connected light blue and orange wires I can leave the switch on and have full phone use at all times. Turning the switch off also allows me to enter destinations, etc. Of course while the switch is off I lose map movement but once it is switched bak on I'm back in business. The best part is that at all times I maintain full phone functionality.

As it is configured now with the switch in place I can access Nav functions while driving (switch off) and phone functions (switch on)

Quick Reply: Manual nav hack switch