ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Window tint... How much are you paying?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-06, 05:26 PM
Thaishark
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Window tint... How much are you paying?

I am curious what everyone is paying for window tint and what percentage you are using?
It would be helpful if you could also mention what state you had it done in.

Thanks
Old 07-28-06, 05:45 PM
crkstr
Driver School Candidate

I live in Virginia and I had my side front and rear side windows done at 50% and my rear window at 35% all Virginia legal limits. I had my sun roof done at 20%. Cost was $180.00. Did the same with my 2005 ES 330 and am very happy with it.
Old 07-28-06, 05:46 PM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"everyone"? I don't believe anybody here got a tint yet, or at least nobody posted about it. Not sure about PA laws, here in NJ you are not allowed to tint front windows. Having only rear and back windows tinted with a front not - looks like a limo, not the best look for a Lexus IMHO
Old 07-28-06, 06:02 PM
Thaishark
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by twister
"everyone"? I don't believe anybody here got a tint yet, or at least nobody posted about it. Not sure about PA laws, here in NJ you are not allowed to tint front windows. Having only rear and back windows tinted with a front not - looks like a limo, not the best look for a Lexus IMHO
In Pa. You can tint, but the law is like 70% , anything more than that and you are likely to get stopped.
The actual law is very very vague, but what it comes down to is can the police see through it which makes it subject to widespread abuse.

When i said everyone i meant those that have had it done or at least looked into it. I'm sure they have checked prices in their area.
Old 07-28-06, 06:22 PM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

I hear you! Laws are laws, but even here in NJ - people take their chances. Regarding prices, its probably depends on where you get it, quality of the work, material, etc. I'm not planning to tint my ES350 windows, but if I would - I would not be looking for a bargain tinting place. BTW, I heard there is a new kind of tint which turns dark during the day and gets clear at night. Anybody heard about it?
Old 07-29-06, 07:40 AM
adamadx
Driver School Candidate

Cool

In long Island NY the dealer charged me 500$ and he put only 35% - NY legal limit.

Last edited by adamadx; 07-29-06 at 07:51 AM.
Old 07-29-06, 08:01 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 62 Likes on 60 Posts

I just dropped my 97 ES off to get retinted.. New tint + remove old tint was 225.00 I thought that was fair price.. I'm getting 32 in the front and 22 in the rear... I'm selling the car soon so i just wanted it to look better.. The rear window and doors where peeling... GL...

Tony
Old 07-29-06, 08:19 AM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

After having tinting done on a few of my previous cars I decided NOT to do it on this ES350.
Reason being......too much of a hassle with bubbles, scratching, fading. you name it.........and this was done by highly regarded installers. In addition to this, I caught a traffic ticket for too dark a tint. I'll live without it.
Old 07-29-06, 11:02 AM
Macklin
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's too bad amf. The tint I had installed on my '98 ES looked as good the day I sold it as when it was installed. The place that did it is very reputable. They have done sliding glass doors in my house, and two boats as well. They want $165 to do my car. I just haven't taken the time to get it done yet.
Old 07-29-06, 01:25 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by amf1932
After having tinting done on a few of my previous cars I decided NOT to do it on this ES350.
Reason being......too much of a hassle with bubbles, scratching, fading. you name it.........and this was done by highly regarded installers. In addition to this, I caught a traffic ticket for too dark a tint. I'll live without it.
Your so right, after what I paid the guy who tinted my Maxima and then it really needs to be redone and he wants to charge me to remove the tint, Im leaving the ES untinted, it either comes out good to perfect or you have to deal with it
Old 07-29-06, 02:43 PM
Celibon
Driver

My dealer threw in the window tinting as part of the deal (because they couldn't budge on the cash discount). It's supposed to be a CAD$599 retail value package but of course I don't think it's worth that much. Anyway they did a good job, I did not notice any bubbles or anything.

How long are you supposed to wait after a tint job before you can roll down the windows? I've heard 3~4 days and 12 days. Also, can you wash the car before it's cured?
Old 07-29-06, 04:28 PM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Can anybody, please, post pics with their tinted ES350?

Regarding outside tinting, I had my previous 98 Altima tinted (therefore a reference to looking like a limo ), and it was perfect. Just sold the car last week, and tint still looked like it was freshly installed.
Old 07-29-06, 04:40 PM
Celibon
Driver

Originally Posted by twister
Can anybody, please, post pics with their tinted ES350?
You can see my tinted car in this thread:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=229344

The front windows are light tint,. The rear windows are darker but you can still see through them.
Old 07-30-06, 05:24 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 62 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Macklin
That's too bad amf. The tint I had installed on my '98 ES looked as good the day I sold it as when it was installed. The place that did it is very reputable. They have done sliding glass doors in my house, and two boats as well. They want $165 to do my car. I just haven't taken the time to get it done yet.
165 IMO is a great and fair price... I just picked up my car yesterday and the tint looks great.. A few bubbles but that should go away in a few days... We got a quote for my GF's car for 160. SHe has a new Mazda 3.. I thought that was pretty fair. I say take the 165 and go with it...

Tony
Old 07-30-06, 05:55 AM
Lexucan
Lexucanafer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Celibon
My dealer threw in the window tinting as part of the deal (because they couldn't budge on the cash discount). It's supposed to be a CAD$599 retail value package but of course I don't think it's worth that much.
CAD$300 if you are lucky.

Originally Posted by Celibon
How long are you supposed to wait after a tint job before you can roll down the windows? I've heard 3~4 days and 12 days. Also, can you wash the car before it's cured?
Depends on the weather. 2-3 days in warm weather, 5-6 days in cold weather.
And I had no problems with washing the car during this time. Just don't hose down the inside of the car.
For cleaning tinted windows, use a non-alcoholic, non-ammonia based cleaner. They are out there. I use Stoners Invisible Glass. It says right on the spray can that it is okay for tinted windows. Before cleaning the tinted windows though, I would wait a good long while to be sure the tint is really well adhered to the glass.... at least a couple of weeks. And even though the cleaner is okay for tint, I usually try to NOT let it get too close to the edges of the window, just as a paranoid precaution.

Quick Reply: Window tint... How much are you paying?