ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Mark Levinson Audio

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-06, 09:35 AM
Kaius88
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mark Levinson Audio

How do you make the ML sound system sound good. I have been listening to my mp3s and my CDs and they sound average... i would say just slightly better than the Standard Premium sound but not by much. Besides the speaker position and equilizers, are there any other adjustments? I was hoping to hear some BOSE-quality sounds....

Also, is ML the only setup that can play DVDs?
Old 07-28-06, 10:05 AM
anwar1337
Driver

Did you turn the Bass Treble and Mid to full?Did you mean these 3 settings by the word equalizer? When I do that on our LS it sounds amazing. Lexus gave us a "Lexus CD" containing Jazz and other music and it sounded amazing. The reason itmight sound average is the way your mp3's have been recorded. Try getting a real mastered cd and check it out .
Old 07-28-06, 10:15 AM
richbutler
Rookie

Originally Posted by Kaius88
How do you make the ML sound system sound good. I have been listening to my mp3s and my CDs and they sound average... i would say just slightly better than the Standard Premium sound but not by much. Besides the speaker position and equilizers, are there any other adjustments? I was hoping to hear some BOSE-quality sounds....

Also, is ML the only setup that can play DVDs?
The ML is amazing compared to the standard premium sound in the es350. I'm still driving an es350 loaner with the standard premium sound and can't wait to get my ML back! You need to fiddle with the controls to customize the sound to your taste. I personally think that the BOSE systems are really bad. We just bought an MDX with the upgraded BOSE, and it sounds horrible. We have already spent another $1500 to replace all the speakers!
Old 07-28-06, 10:16 AM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When you play an uncompressed CD the Mark Levinson sound is sensational, even when you have your controls set at normal. Naturally, the sound would be more dynamic when you start to boost certain parts of the audio spectrum, or used to correct a poorly recorded CD.
Old 07-28-06, 10:23 AM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can not comment on your CDs (I assume those are orgiinally pressed CDs, not CDR?), but with mp3s you are expected to loose quality through a bit reduction of resampling while you convert the orginal audio. Not gonna bore anybody with a theory, but your 128kbps vs 320kbps is how many samples you take over a second from the original audio source. That all going to affect the quality of the song. Regarding ML audio system, even so I don't have it, I'm pretty sure it will have a better quality D/A converters with a higher signal-to-noise ratio to bring out the high quality of the sound. So, if your original sounds is not of such quality, it will bring out more of your noises and imperfections. I can also imagine that ML system is matched with the acoustics of the inside of your car where every angle, every piece and quality of material (with its soundwave reflection properties) is taken into consideration to create that sweet spot behind the drivers seat for an ultimate sound perfection. Gee, that was a mouthful I also pretty sure they are using some kind of a dynamic DSP algorythm to recalculate your optimum EQ based on the original source and their acoustic model of car interior.

The bottom line, don't expect to put a low quality mp3 or mediocre produced CD album, and get out of it through ML a high quality sound. The stereo system will try to smooth out and to color the sound, but it will not do the magic to make it sound better if the source is not up to par.

BTW, forgot to mention that in my spare time I'm doing a semi-pro music production for a number of dance labels Most of the contracts I have with these labels specify not to master any of the sound because it goes to their own mastering studio where its optimized for every listening environment. But, I still do a lot of tweaking, therefore I'm very familiar with a sound engineering technology!
Old 07-28-06, 10:46 AM
PsychDoc
Lead Lap

***I was hoping to hear some BOSE-quality sounds....***

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

OK, I just know you're kidding there. That was a good one!

BOSE? As In Better Off Somewhere Else?

That BOSE?
Old 07-28-06, 10:53 AM
wizhill
Driver School Candidate

Default DVD Audio

Anyone else tried a DVD audio disc on their ML? I must say that the sound is spectacular, much better than I ever got out of any Bose system. It's difficult to go back to a MP3 CD after listening to a DVD-A!
Old 07-28-06, 11:00 AM
tstead
Driver School Candidate

I have a non-ML audio/nav system in my ES. Is it possible to retrofit my car so it will have the ML sound system?

Tim
Attached Thumbnails Mark Levinson Audio-es350.jpg  
Old 07-28-06, 11:16 AM
Kaius88
Lead Lap

yall got a good point. My mp3s are indeed compressed and the only CD i have ever put into it was Frank Sinatra's "Duet" which i believe was remastered. I suspect a good system like ML would amplify imperfections as well.... I just wish there were more bars to tweak then the basic treble, middle and base.
Old 07-28-06, 12:49 PM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by tstead
I have a non-ML audio/nav system in my ES. Is it possible to retrofit my car so it will have the ML sound system?

Tim
Anything is possible, but after you hear the price of a retrofit, I'm sure you won't want to do it.
Old 07-28-06, 01:56 PM
hperel
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by amf1932
Anything is possible, but after you hear the price of a retrofit, I'm sure you won't want to do it.

What is the cost? I have been debating about putting an AMP and changing the speakers to my non-ML 350ES with navigation. Any body have any other sound ideas?
Old 07-28-06, 02:32 PM
PsychDoc
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by hperel
What is the cost? I have been debating about putting an AMP and changing the speakers to my non-ML 350ES with navigation. Any body have any other sound ideas?
If I were you the most I would screw around with would be to replace the speaker drivers. Just be sure to match up the impedences or you run the risk of overtaxing the amps and/or ending up with inferior sound quality.

This stuff is better left to pros but I'd shy away from screwing around with the car's electronics.

Warranty issues and stuff like that.
Old 07-28-06, 04:57 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Can you actually order the ML audio without nav?
Old 07-28-06, 05:37 PM
psp
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, just my 2 cents. First, like any good piece of equipment the stereo in your ES350 needs some time to be broken in. Play it for a couple of weeks before doing any critical listening. Those drivers have got to loosen up. Second, you need to get acclimated to the sound of the ML. The detail, imaging, dynamic range, and frequency response leave most other OEM systems in the dust. Maybe the B&O in the Audi flagship could be better but I have yet to hear it. Three, like all Mark Levinson products (Levinson, Cello, Red Rose) one thing is for sure -- Garbage in, Garbage out. Use good source material to judge the sound of the system. Finally, use a light touch on the tone controls. The system was probably voiced by the engineers to sound best with the tone controls in the neutral position.

The levinson system sounds real good, full rich bass (not one note thumping), detailed mids and extended highs for a car system. Yes, it is a little "hard" sounding in the upper midrange and this makes bad recordings sound lousy.

I have yet to hear a Bose system that was anywhere near as detailed as the ML. What I hear with the Bose is boomy, and the bass is thumpy and one note.

Last edited by psp; 07-28-06 at 07:33 PM.
Old 07-28-06, 06:32 PM
crkstr
Driver School Candidate

Unfortunately, the last Lexus I had, a 2005 ES 330, had the Mark Levinson sound system. It made the premium sound system on my new 2007 sound pretty poor in comparison.

I too have been thinking about how to upgrade the system, and wonder if a professionally installed new set of high-grade speakers and appropriate amp would improve the sound sufficiently to justify the cost. I am thinking that this could all be done without any changes to the head unit, which is the Nav version in my case.

The premium sound system just doesn't sound as rich and full as I would like in a car of this quality. If there were more UL versions available in my area I would have definitely purchased one for the Mark Levinson system.

I'm just not sure if upgrading the speakers and amp would accomplish what I'm trying to do. Again this would be done by a professional auto audio shop I have used in the past, not by me. Any thoughts?

Quick Reply: Mark Levinson Audio