ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Took the plunge today.

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-06, 10:28 PM
Bash4
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Took the plunge today.

We bought a Ruby w/black from Merriville today. I originally ordered a Ruby w/cashmere a month ago. That combination is so rare and the dealer did not know if he could get one by August. Also they gave an extra $500 to take the black interior. Another factor was the swivel Xenon head lights and parking assist. These options are not available right now. Sticker is $41249, paid $39249. I'm very happy with my price concidering other Lexus dealers in Chicago area are not dealing. I just wish I could have gotten cashmere. I may trade this in next year for a Ruby w/cashmere. Never know. My salesman also said all new 350s are comming in from Japan as $37170 premiums, $40289 premium plus, or UL if lucky. That's it. We pick the car up Saturday. This is my first Lexus. I hope I don't have any transmission problems like others have. This seems to be Lexus least reliable car to date. Hope I'm wrong.
Old 07-09-06, 05:35 AM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congratulations!!! I'm waiting for mine to arrive next Saturday too So, did you get Premium+ package?

Tranny problem was found only on the early models in May. My dealership, here in NJ, informed me that Lexus factory implemented new testing to screen out transmission problems. So, all the new builds from Japan starting from June will be 100% good!!!
Old 07-09-06, 05:36 AM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This seems to be Lexus least reliable car to date. Hope I'm wrong.
I definitely wouldn't say that! The percentage of people that had the transmission problems with this model are extremely small.
I've owned 4 Lexus ES's since 1990 and they proved to be the most trouble free automobiles of any manufacturer that I've ever owned.
I'm sure you're going to love your new ES350 just as most of us.

Good luck.......and enjoy.

Alan
Old 07-09-06, 05:40 AM
PsychDoc
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by amf1932
I definitely wouldn't say that! The percentage of people that had the transmission problems with this model are extremely small.
I've owned 4 Lexus ES's since 1990 and they proved to be the most trouble free automobiles of any manufacturer that I've ever owned.
I'm sure you're going to love your new ES350 just as most of us.

Good luck.......and enjoy.

Alan
You are 100% correct. My transmission is smooth as silk (other than a bit of "hunting" when decelerating from around 20mph down to 10mph and this is really no big deal).

I'll take this car any day of the week compared to my '02 ES 300 in which every transmission they made was a total disaster.
Old 07-09-06, 08:12 AM
Bash4
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by twister
Congratulations!!! I'm waiting for mine to arrive next Saturday too So, did you get Premium+ package?

Tranny problem was found only on the early models in May. My dealership, here in NJ, informed me that Lexus factory implemented new testing to screen out transmission problems. So, all the new builds from Japan starting from June will be 100% good!!!
Yes I got premium plus with every option. Next option would put me in a UL package. I'm a little worried my car was manfactured in April. It has been sitting in Merriville for a month. I hope Lexus figured out the tranny problem.
Old 07-09-06, 09:15 AM
andejes
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Bash4
Sticker is $41249, paid $39249. I'm very happy with my price concidering other Lexus dealers in Chicago area are not dealing. I just wish I could have gotten cashmere.

You are so right about Chicago dealers. I live in Chicago and one dealer offered me $200 off as if he was doing me a favor. This was on a UL package. I also heard from a couple of Chicago dealers that they have people waiting with deposits for a Ruby/Cashmere and there has been no luck. One dealer said it didn't exist. I am sure it does but it's not easy to come by out here. You're getting your car just in time to get your city sticker without paying the God awful penalty.
Old 07-09-06, 03:27 PM
cleblanc
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by andejes
You are so right about Chicago dealers. I live in Chicago and one dealer offered me $200 off as if he was doing me a favor. This was on a UL package. I also heard from a couple of Chicago dealers that they have people waiting with deposits for a Ruby/Cashmere and there has been no luck. One dealer said it didn't exist. I am sure it does but it's not easy to come by out here. You're getting your car just in time to get your city sticker without paying the God awful penalty.
I'm surprised to hear that about the ruby/cashmere. I guess I should consider myself lucky. That's what I got the first week the car came out. There was actually another one on the lot too already spoken for. The dealer mentioned it was a rare combination but I thought maybe he was just trying to make me feel good about my purchase. Mine is not a UL though. I think the UL cars are rare anyway. I have not yet see one.
Old 07-09-06, 06:29 PM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can recognize the UL Edition from the outside if it has the panoramic moonroof and also the Graphite coated 10 spoke wheels.
Old 07-09-06, 09:41 PM
Hitsme
Driver School Candidate

I'm really surprised at the Ruby/Cashmere shortage. I got mine, a Ruby/Cashmere UL, the first week they came out (a week late).

I've told this on other threads, but . . . My wife and I had studied the choices for several weeks prior to the release, and went to Longo in CA to buy a Granite/Light Gray premium plus. Longo has a huge underground lot. We went there and picked out one of several Granite/Gray cars for our salesguy to drive up to the front of the building. We walked past the Ruby/Cashmere, looked at each other with that OMG look, and calmly asked him to also bring that car upstairs. The Granite came up first. When the Ruby came up and was parked next to the Granite, my wife gave out an involuntary yelp (not a good bargaining tactic) and that was all she wrote.

It was during the first days of anyone selling/buying the car, so we got literally thousands off the siticker, got the Sirius with a 9 month subscription thrown in, and accidentally ended up with what appears to be a highly sought after car. I'm a happy guy.

P.S. - I've been stopped many, many times, 3 times just this weekend by people wanting to look at it and talk about it, and it's the Royal Ruby Metalic that starts the conversation.

P.P.S. - Bash4, I'm sure it will look stunning with the black interior.

Last edited by Hitsme; 07-10-06 at 08:07 AM.
Old 07-09-06, 10:45 PM
LexFather

Congrats!!
Old 07-10-06, 04:40 AM
Macklin
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PsychDoc
You are 100% correct. My transmission is smooth as silk (other than a bit of "hunting" when decelerating from around 20mph down to 10mph and this is really no big deal).
Exactly! That's a dead on description. I'm glad I'm not the only one to notice this. Really bothered me at first, but I've gotten used to it. Do you think this is associated with the "engine brake" feature mentioned in the manual? It does almost feel like a mild braking sensation at times.
Old 07-10-06, 06:10 AM
PsychDoc
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Macklin
Exactly! That's a dead on description. I'm glad I'm not the only one to notice this. Really bothered me at first, but I've gotten used to it. Do you think this is associated with the "engine brake" feature mentioned in the manual? It does almost feel like a mild braking sensation at times.
Interesting observation. I really don't have a clue. Bottom line, it really is a very minor anomaly and I don't find it too annoying at all that it "hunts" a little when decelerating at slow speeds. Like I said it's orders of maginitude better than the disasterous transmissions they put in the '02's.
Old 07-10-06, 12:25 PM
Bash4
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by andejes
Hi andejes, I don't live in Chicago thank God. I love Chicago it's just the driving and cost of living I can do without. I live about eighty-five miles south of Chicago. Gasoline here is $3.05 for reg and $3.25 for premium. That's crazy. Anyway Lexus of Merriville was the only dealer to lower the price on a 350. I did here McGrath was offering $500 off but I can't stand that dealer.
Old 07-10-06, 12:28 PM
Bash4
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by PsychDoc

I'll take this car any day of the week compared to my '02 ES 300 in which every transmission they made was a total disaster.
PsychDoc, You have my color combination. Is your inside ceiling color grey ? If so how do you like it? Do you wish you had cashmere or does it not matter to you?
Thanks Bash4
Old 07-10-06, 02:19 PM
CyclopStan
Rookie

I have the same color combo and the only grey is on the dash & console. The remaining areas are all cashmere.

Quick Reply: Took the plunge today.