ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Bluetooth phone without camera?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-06, 02:51 PM
wizhill
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bluetooth phone without camera?

There have been a lot of discussions on CL regarding what Bluetooth cell phone works better (or works at all) with Lexus. All of the phone recomendations I've seen have built-in cameras, though, including most of the phones listed on http://lexusbluetooth.letstalk.com. My problem is the place where I work does not allow camera phones. (They have confiscated and destroyed camera phones on more than one occassion.)

So my question is, does anyone have a recomendation for a Bluetooth enabled cell phone that will work with my new ES, but doesn't have a built-in camera? I am stuck with Cingular, also, since the phone is provided by my employer. I am aware of the Samsung D357, but it won't display network signal strength on the screen (I think that's a must have). I've also found the Motorola L2 and Samsung D307, but do not know how they'll function with the ES.

I know this is a tall order, but I am hoping somone on CL can help.

Thanks much!

Last edited by wizhill; 05-31-06 at 03:29 PM.
Old 05-31-06, 03:30 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well lexus.com now has an official list of supported Bluetooth phones for each model.
Here's the link:
http://lexusbluetooth.letstalk.com/p...iew=1&model=ES

According to the list, the Samsung SGH-D357 is probably your best bet. Good luck!
Old 05-31-06, 05:15 PM
wizhill
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for responding. I was aware of the web site you mentioned, but as I stated I would really like a phone that will display at least the network strength on the nav screen. According to lexusbluetooth.letstalk.com the D357 doesn't.

But that does bring up another question: Has anyone found discrepancies between what the site indicates and what their phone actually does? (For example, maybe the site says your phone doesn't show battery level on the nav screen, but it really does.) Or does it seem to be accurate?
Old 05-31-06, 05:47 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by wizhill
Thanks for responding. I was aware of the web site you mentioned, but as I stated I would really like a phone that will display at least the network strength on the nav screen. According to lexusbluetooth.letstalk.com the D357 doesn't.

But that does bring up another question: Has anyone found discrepancies between what the site indicates and what their phone actually does? (For example, maybe the site says your phone doesn't show battery level on the nav screen, but it really does.) Or does it seem to be accurate?
Well there's nothing else in the Cingular lineup, BUT, knowing that T-Mobile is GSM-based, I pulled up the list of supported T-Mobile Bluetooth phones from the link. Turns out the BlackBerry 7105t may just fit the bill. No camera and with support for signal strength display. The downside is that it doesn't support phonebook transfer at all. Alas, there is just no one phone that supports all the possible features. So if you can do with manually entering phonebook data, just get a BlackBerry 7105t and unlock it through a 3rd party service and you'll be able to use it in the Cingular network.
Old 05-31-06, 06:10 PM
wizhill
Driver School Candidate

I may to do just that. ::sigh:: Hey, it could be worse.. I could have Verizon!
Old 05-31-06, 06:31 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Oops haha sorry I must've been blind. Just noticed that Cingular also has two BlackBerry phones, the 8700c and 7100g, that have no camera but with support for signal strength display. No more T-Mobile nonsense for you. How's that?
Old 06-03-06, 12:51 PM
Macklin
Advanced

Originally Posted by XeroK00L
The downside is that it doesn't support phonebook transfer at all. Alas, there is just no one phone that supports all the possible features. So if you can do with manually entering phonebook data, just get a BlackBerry 7105t and unlock it through a 3rd party service and you'll be able to use it in the Cingular network.
Just bought a Moto E815. Got everything working....except downloading the phone book. It is apparent that I don't have this option - transfer data. This is crazy if true. Is there something I can do to enable this?
Old 06-03-06, 01:20 PM
PsychDoc
Lead Lap

Not really. Verizon disables all OBEX functions on their BT phones ( ). It's a bummer but I guess it's the price you pay to be on the nation's premier network. Year after year they just obliterate all the others when Consumer Reports rates the cell phone services.

There is a way to beat this and if you wish you can go to howardforums.com to search for a hack for your particular phone. Just understand that if you hack the phone you are voiding the warranty. It's pretty complicated stuff from what I'm told and you have to be pretty technically sophisticated if you want to start with this kind of stuff.

Or, if you're like me, you can just input all the names and phone numbers manually into the car one time (in reality, how long will this take....maybe an hour?) and have it working perfectly.

Whatever you do, good luck and happy motoring!
Old 06-03-06, 02:10 PM
Macklin
Advanced

Doc, thanks for the quick reply....but how did you know I am with Verizon?

You are right about their service though. My boat club goes to some remote places and I'm often lending out my phone because no one else has service. Same for my business travels around the country. Never had an issue.

I just went to their web site and saw the OBEX disclaimer.

Guess I will have to enter the numbers manually.
Old 06-03-06, 02:28 PM
PsychDoc
Lead Lap

***how did you know I am with Verizon?***

Moto 815 is a propietary Verizon phone (I think).
Old 06-05-06, 12:57 PM
BLAQ ICE
Driver

Try ebay, they sell a lot of unlock phones. Do a search for Blackberry 8700c.

Good Luck
Old 06-06-06, 02:52 AM
scottmyers
Pole Position

Yes, the site said that the Sony Ericsson Z520a does not allow the phone book to be uploaded all at once, but I have found that it actually does upload fine.
Old 06-07-06, 07:35 AM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default The ES350's bluetooth is available with or without..

Navigation. It is easier to pair and program with the Nav touchscreen. If given a choice between uploading phone numbers one at a time vs. entering them on the touchscreen I would do the latter. You can then add voice tags and place the most important 17 numbers into one touch dials. Some of the older phones did not have cameras but used bluetooth but could be bulky. I have not had good results with Samsung bluetooth compatibility in the Lexus. Blackberries work fine. Voice command "dial by name" take a little practice but are useful as well as "dial by number" voice commands.

Rock
Old 06-07-06, 12:39 PM
Ingram4868
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have to admit my ignorance on bluetooth. My wife currently has a regular cellphone and she asked to get a bluetooth phone so as to use it in the car. So, does the bluetooth cellphone have to be in the car for the features to work or does the bluetooth feature in the car become a stand alone cellphone once programmed?
Old 06-07-06, 01:23 PM
cleblanc
Rookie

Originally Posted by Ingram4868
I have to admit my ignorance on bluetooth. My wife currently has a regular cellphone and she asked to get a bluetooth phone so as to use it in the car. So, does the bluetooth cellphone have to be in the car for the features to work or does the bluetooth feature in the car become a stand alone cellphone once programmed?
The bluetooth cellphone must be in the car. She must get a new cellphone. It is one of the best features of the car. I was not due to upgrade my cellphone for another 10 months but I bought a new cellphone (early upgrade) as soon as I got the car. In my opinion, it is the best feature of the car since I talk a lot on my cell phone in the car. Not to mention, it is a great safety feature. No more digging in my purse for the phone when it rings or struggling to put on the headset as I'm driving. Also, the radio or CD player will automatically mute if a call is placed or received. So no more missed calls due to not hearing it ringing. The bluetooth in this car is amazing.

Quick Reply: Bluetooth phone without camera?