ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Homelink won't program

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-06, 08:36 PM
dreyfus

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

The instructions WEAS1E gave were exactly the same steps we followed and the link was established with no problem.
Old 07-14-06, 05:29 PM
mwike
Rookie

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

Waes1e - thanks a bunch. I couldn't have done it w/o you. You need to charge Lexus for you instructions so they can use them from now on.
Old 07-17-06, 02:52 PM
Kaius88
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i think my garage opener is a Genie with rolling code. I have not touched the opener itself because i dont have a ladder. But after programming the car's homelink, it takes about 5 presses before the door would respond. Is it expected that if you dont teach your rolling code unit, it takes a while to open your garage door, but eventually it will open?
Old 07-30-06, 07:42 PM
lexusa
Driver School Candidate

Default Radio Frequecy NOISE

It looks like the problem is due to (RF) radio frequency noise. If you have wireless equipment at your house shut it down until the remotes are programmed. It is possible that your neighbor’s wireless devices might cause interference as well. If that is the case move to another area away from the house and try to program the remote controls, and then return to the house to finish the final configuration for the rolling code garage doors. I was having the same problems (unable to program my remotes to the house), and after I shutdown everything on my house that is wireless I was able to program my HOMELINK. I hope this helps.

Example of (RF) devices

1. Wireless phones
2. Wireless Networks
3. Wireless cameras and receivers
4. Wireless alarm systems

Cesar
2007 UL ES350
Old 07-31-06, 02:05 AM
Ingram4868
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusa
It looks like the problem is due to (RF) radio frequency noise. If you have wireless equipment at your house shut it down until the remotes are programmed. It is possible that your neighbor’s wireless devices might cause interference as well. If that is the case move to another area away from the house and try to program the remote controls, and then return to the house to finish the final configuration for the rolling code garage doors. I was having the same problems (unable to program my remotes to the house), and after I shutdown everything on my house that is wireless I was able to program my HOMELINK. I hope this helps.

Example of (RF) devices

1. Wireless phones
2. Wireless Networks
3. Wireless cameras and receivers
4. Wireless alarm systems

Cesar
2007 UL ES350
That sounds like the best answer I've heard. Wireless phones and PC's are in many houses these days including in my house and the neighbors.
Old 07-31-06, 08:54 PM
walkagain
Driver School Candidate

It took me a few hours to program the garage door because
i don't know how to read directions.

There are 3 places to get directions, The Lexus manual, the garage door website, and the homelink website....and of course they don't all match. If you have problems try all 3 and read the directions VERY VERY VERY carefully.

very very very carefully...then read it again....lol
Old 12-28-06, 06:19 PM
Mikey2007
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Weas1e
I was having issues as well with programming my homelink. I had thought I tried everything. Read and re-read the owner's guide, checked the garage door opener's website and the homelink website and I was still unable to figure it out.

Then I spoke with my Lexus dealer and he walked me through the steps. It ends up being quite simple .

I should first state that my opener is a rolling code model, which supposedly makes it a little more involved. Also, I started in my driveway with the garage door down. I take no responsbility if you somehow get yourself, your pet or your car crushed under the garage door .

Make sure you have erased all/any codes by holding the first and third homelink buttons until the homelink light flashes quickly (this can take upwards of 20 seconds)

A. Program the handheld garage door opener to your car's homelink button

1. Hold the desired homelink button down you wish to program and simultaneously hold the handheld garage door opener button down until the homelink button light flashes quickly (should only take 5-10 seconds)

B. Program your garage door opener to recognize the new remote/your vehicle's homelink button.

1. Find the Training/Learn button on your garage door unit. You may need a ladder. It usually has a small light above or below it.

2. Push the Training/Learn button. You will have 30 seconds to get back to your car.

3. Go back to your car and push the homelink button you previously programed in A up to 3 times. I pushed it once and released. Then I repeated this. I believe it took 3 times to program it for my Lexus and 2 for my other vehicles.

4. You can stop when the garage door opens/closes.

Hope this helps.

BTW: my garage door opener is a Liftmaster Professional by Chamberlain
Awesome post, thanks!! It seems my new genie remote (they have a new Key FOB remote out which is a little nicer then the old black clunky one)would not program the homelink, it apparrently only sends a signal once, vs a continuous signal like the original Genie remote. Also, I noticed that it blinked slow for about 4 seconds, then went to a rapid flash, then I jumped up, hit my training button on my garage door motor andthen the home link 3 x and viola! If someone is having trouble, I would say to make sure when you do the initial train with your opener that you wait for the rpaid flash, for my Genie this was 30 seconds or so, about 10 sec past the slow flash...(forgot to count, but seemed like 10)

Mike
Old 12-28-06, 09:44 PM
kingofire
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

You can also take it to the dealer to get it programmed. The dealer programmed mine when he saw the garage opener on the visor in my car.
Old 12-29-06, 09:37 AM
robbyd97
Driver School Candidate

For those of you that have this problem as I did. My dealer gave me an 800 number to contact customer service at Homelink. I didn't realize that Homelink is an actual company. I'm sorry I can't give you number as I must have thrown it away. I called them and they had me reset the system and then stepped me through it. Worked perfectly.
Old 10-08-07, 08:18 AM
Peteyoung
Driver School Candidate

This is an old thread, but I think it will help me solve my own programming issue.
Much thanks for sharing the intel people.
Old 07-10-11, 03:53 AM
rlmav8r
Driver School Candidate

I spent a frustrating hour trying to get the Chamberlain unit to recognize the Lexus, came inside and searched this post, and discovered the trick: re-program the remotes that came with the opener. Once I did that, the instructions above worked like a charm. Thanks everyone.
Old 12-22-15, 06:33 AM
Aj30269
Driver School Candidate

Default Repeater req'd

My 04 GX required a repeater from Homelink. It was free plus $11 shipping and handling. It has its own remote(only req'd during learning) and plugs into a nearby outlet. Didn't affect other remotes or keypad. Working well for the first week.
Old 08-22-19, 01:20 PM
dsysana
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Weas1e
I was having issues as well with programming my homelink. I had thought I tried everything. Read and re-read the owner's guide, checked the garage door opener's website and the homelink website and I was still unable to figure it out.

Then I spoke with my Lexus dealer and he walked me through the steps. It ends up being quite simple .

I should first state that my opener is a rolling code model, which supposedly makes it a little more involved. Also, I started in my driveway with the garage door down. I take no responsbility if you somehow get yourself, your pet or your car crushed under the garage door .

Make sure you have erased all/any codes by holding the first and third homelink buttons until the homelink light flashes quickly (this can take upwards of 20 seconds)

A. Program the handheld garage door opener to your car's homelink button

1. Hold the desired homelink button down you wish to program and simultaneously hold the handheld garage door opener button down until the homelink button light flashes quickly (should only take 5-10 seconds)

B. Program your garage door opener to recognize the new remote/your vehicle's homelink button.

1. Find the Training/Learn button on your garage door unit. You may need a ladder. It usually has a small light above or below it.

2. Push the Training/Learn button. You will have 30 seconds to get back to your car.

3. Go back to your car and push the homelink button you previously programed in A up to 3 times. I pushed it once and released. Then I repeated this. I believe it took 3 times to program it for my Lexus and 2 for my other vehicles.

4. You can stop when the garage door opens/closes.

Hope this helps.

BTW: my garage door opener is a Liftmaster Professional by Chamberlain
Ugh. Thanks so much!. 2016 IS200t and have two other cars. Screwed with this off and on for a month. Finally got it working with these instructions.
Old 04-13-24, 12:57 PM
streborc
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

One more important point -- use only the remote control that was supplied with the garage door opener. Some aftermarket remotes (especially the keychain remotes with small batteries) seem to transmit an intermittent signal that will open the garage door, but will not train the Homelink transmitter.